August 2011 Moms
Options

Can your baby open up doors?

We were hanging out in my room this morning and I closed the door so DS couldn't get out and get into something.  He looked at the door handle and was trying to reach it.  Luckily he's so short he's got a while before he's able to do that!

Which got me thinking...DD was such a tall baby and a late walker so it wasn't long before she could open up some of the doors in our house.  The ones with the handle that you pull down were so easy for her.  

What about you?  Is your baby showing interest in opening doors?  How much longer do you think you have...or have you babyproofed your doorknobs already?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Can your baby open up doors?

• Options

Yes!  We have the lever-type door handles and for some reason they're slightly lower on the bedroom doors, so she can reach up, grab, and pull down on the handle.  She has been opening and closing them for about two months.  Really annoying because (a) I'm always worried that she's going to pinch her fingers and (b) the cat sneaks into the bedrooms when she leaves the doors open. 

When we are hanging out upstairs and moving from room to room, I have something like this  to put on the doors.  I bought them at Big Lots for $1 apiece, they are great!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

I have seen LO reach up for the door knob once or twice.  She couldn't reach it well.  I figure we have a month or so.  We do minimal baby-proofing so no door knob covers here; our basement door is locked and our garage door handle is child-proof - she has free reign of the rest of the house.

Unexplained IF/RPL

TTC#1 2003 BFNs, 2004-2009 imageimageimageimageimage 5 angels above

2010 IVF-PGS-FET#1, DD b. Aug-2011 image

TTC#2 2012 BFNs, 2013 FET#2, DS b. Nov-2013 image

TTC#3 2015 BFNs, FET#3 image (my 6th and last angel above)

Journey Complete.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

DS likes to open and close his door, but we have it baby-proofed so it won't close all the way. He hasn't discovered the doorknobs yet. My niece got part of her fingertip pinched off in the door when she was five, so I'm pretty paranoid about doors.

We also took the mechanism out of the knob so it's just a knob and can't stay shut - it has a lock on it, and I was worried he'd manage to lock himself in.

• Options
    imageJelliebean1982:

We were hanging out in my room this morning and I closed the door so DS couldn't get out and get into something.  He looked at the door handle and was trying to reach it.  Luckily he's so short he's got a while before he's able to do that!

Which got me thinking...DD was such a tall baby and a late walker so it wasn't long before she could open up some of the doors in our house.  The ones with the handle that you pull down were so easy for her.  

What about you?  Is your baby showing interest in opening doors?  How much longer do you think you have...or have you baby proofed your doorknobs already?

Our bathroom door doesn't always latch all the way and DD knows it so she prys it open from the bottom. I baby proofed the doorknob leading into the basement as soon as we got the handle things so we could get used to them. I just put a lock on the toilet so no baby proofing there, not that it would work because of the latch issue.

• Options
    DS shows interest in opening doors.  Luckily he's too short so I don't I will have to worry about it for some time still.  If I have the front wood door open a bit and ask him if he wants to go outside, he walks to the door and open it, stands at the screen door and waits.  It's kind of cute!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Alex can reach them, but they are all the round ones so he hasn't figured them out yet. Though I need to get the covers for them pretty soon.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"