Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

TTC with HPV

Hi ladies...I'm new to the boards. I read them all of the time, but have never posted...but I'm in need of some guidance.

My DH and I are TTC with #1. I'm 29 and he is 27. I was diagnosed with HPV in 2010 (4 months before our wedding...fun fun) and have had a colposcopy and LEEP procedure. I was also on BC for 9 years before getting off in March. We have been TTC since then (5 months). I started by just tracking my cycle. Past 2 months been using OPKs. I am getting saddened and frustrated every month with the BFN when my friends seem to be getting pregnant so easily.

I've read that HPV can cause some trouble with TTC and with carrying to full term due to the procedures affecting the cervix. How much longer should we try on our own before going to my doctor to do some tests and look into our next step or options? Is anyone else out there TTC with HPV? Successes? Tribulations?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: TTC with HPV

• Options

I'e had a colposcopy as well and my OB/GYN said things would be fine.

A LEEP is a bit different and could impact carrying a child more than getting pregnant. 

Medical standards are TTC for 12 months if you are under the age of 35.

Good luck

• Options

I am so sorry you are dealing with HPV. I don't have personal experience with it, but I understand that it can clear up on its own (certain strains). Have you had repeat testing to see if it is still present?

I don't know what it means for pregnancy and being able to carry to term. Have you asked your OB about it? Wishing you the best of luck in your pursuit of a BFP. Welcome. 

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm sorry you're having troubles. I had a colposcopy and LEEP in 2007, but I was negative for HPV. So, I have no advice on TTC with HPV, but the colposcopy and LEEP had no effect on my ability to get pregnant or carry DD.

I was also on BC for nine years before going off and got pregnant with DD on my fourth cycle. It can take several months for your cycle to regulate after being on hormones for so long, so hang in there. It can take even a perfectly healthy couple up to a year to get pregnant, so keep doing what you're doing up until that point, then see your doctor.

My OB was never concerned about my cervix during my pregnancy, and I had a 9lb baby. Carried her to term, two days before my EDD, with no issues whatsoever.

Good luck!
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I have had normal paps the last two years, so my doctor hasn't said anything about testing for HPV again. 

• Options
    imagesavannah_girl:

imagemargaretkaye1:
    Just for the record, pretty much everyone gets HPV at some point. The LEEP is what you should be concerned about, as it can compromise the integrity of your cervix. But it won't keep you from getting KU. I think there are things they can do to help once you are actually pregnant. Talk to your gyno.

Umm, no they do not. While it is one of the most common STD/STD's, not every one will get them. I am kind of offended that you assumes that. I have NEVER had an STI, nor has my DH. Some people live very conservative lifestyles, that limits their exposure. I am one of them.

Errr.. just because its common doesn't mean that everyone who gets it is a promiscuous ho-bag. You may not have meant to imply that, but your post is kind of holier than thou. Having more than one sexual partner is almost par for the course these days. There is nothing offensive about that. Life happens.

Someone could say that it is offensive that you assume that anyone who gets an STI or STD sleeps around. My BFF got HPV from her boyfriend who was her very first sexual partner. They are no longer together, but she was being "conservative". He had only had one partner before her. That partner gave him the HPV. He had no idea and gave it to my BFF.

Everyone's situation is different and its overly pearl-clutchey to get so upset about someone's post that is supported by medical evidence.

"HPV (the virus). Approximately 20 million Americans are currently infected with HPV. Another 6 million people become newly infected each year. HPV is so common that at least 50% of sexually active men and women get it at some point in their lives."

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Options
    imagesavannah_girl:

imagemargaretkaye1:
    Just for the record, pretty much everyone gets HPV at some point. The LEEP is what you should be concerned about, as it can compromise the integrity of your cervix. But it won't keep you from getting KU. I think there are things they can do to help once you are actually pregnant. Talk to your gyno.

Umm, no they do not. While it is one of the most common STD/STD's, not every one will get them. I am kind of offended that you assumes that. I have NEVER had an STI, nor has my DH. Some people live very conservative lifestyles, that limits their exposure. I am one of them.

Getting HPV doesn't mean you don't live a conservative lifestyle. Unless you're a virgin, you're at risk for anything. PP wasn't trying to make a jab at you, but trying to comfort OP. There are lots of strands of the virus and lots of OBGYNs do believe that almost everyone will be exposed at some point in their life.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Well said PrimRose

• Options

I was also concerned because I've had a LEEP and several biopsies.  My ob said that my cervix looks okay and that they didn't take too much out.  I had asked about scar tissue causing issues getting pg and she said that it wouldn't be a problem - the "cervical os" is still open.  She said that the only thing would be if I needed repeat procedures, which might make carrying difficult, but that they can always put the "stitch" in the cervix to keep it closed (that just sounds OW! but would be worth it to me!)

I think if you had only one LEEP, and the removal wasn't too invasive...  Well it's worth asking your gyn/ob about to ease your fears.

formerly skoczera
    ~s.h.
    38 y.o. w/PCOS

F14 October Siggy Challenge - Animals in Costume
    ...image...

August Siggy Challenge-Rainbows & Unicorns

March 10, 2014 - G was born

Lilypie First Birthday tickers    Anniversary       
  • Options
    imagesavannah_girl:

imagemargaretkaye1:

Hey Savannah - That is one of the stupidest things I've read on here. 

• Options
    imagesavannah_girl:

imagemargaretkaye1:

FYI I have had two sexual partners in my life. My EX gave me genital warts. He was wearing a condom but because the warts were on his testicles the condom never protected me. Sometimes even condoms don't protect any STD's. By the way your attitude is why people who have STD's that thy have to live with for the rest of their lives feel like they have nobody to talk to. Don't be so damn judgmental. Just because somebody has an STD doesn't mean they've lived their life sleeping around.
  • Options
    imagelnlaveque:
    imagesavannah_girl:

imagemargaretkaye1:

FYI I have had two sexual partners in my life. My EX gave me genital warts. He was wearing a condom but because the warts were on his testicles the condom never protected me. Sometimes even condoms don't protect any STD's. By the way your attitude is why people who have STD's that thy have to live with for the rest of their lives feel like they have nobody to talk to. Don't be so damn judgmental. Just because somebody has an STD doesn't mean they've lived their life sleeping around.

Yes

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Options
    imageGhostMonkey:
    imageCNS1212:

I have had normal paps the last two years, so my doctor hasn't said anything about testing for HPV again. 

Because your paps are normal. If you had it you would either have abnormal paps or warts.

Did your doctor seriously not explain any of this to you? I went to a student death center when I had this and they explained all of this.

If your student health center was anything like mine you could go in with a sinus infection and leave with a diagnosis of pneumonia. So your typo seems appropriate :)
    image  image
    О Привязать! Z!
    The Science Babies debuted 5/6/14 @ 34 weeks
  • Options
    imagesavannah_girl:

I do not assume that peole with any STI are ho-bag (I think that was the term some one used). And yes, I am very up to date with the HPV and the 50% stat. Guess what, that means 50% DO NOT HAVE it.

And while I do know that I can be a virgin, have sex with another virgin and get it. It is a contact virus, so hand-to-hand contact may be all that is needed.  But then again, some people can have sex with thousands and still not get it, or any STI's for that case.

About that "holier that thou" attitude; that was not my goal. Maybe conservative was not the best word. That is just a word that we use at work. At-risk lifestyle or conservative life-style. What other word/phrase would some of you suggest?

I just did not like that statement that "pretty much every one gets it". Becuase, no.. not every one gets it.

Everyone =/= pretty much everyone.  Pretty much everyone would imply that infact, some people do not get it.

• Options
    imagesavannah_girl:
    I do not assume that peole with any STI are hobag I think that was the term some one used. And yes, I am very up to date with the HPV and the 50 stat. Guess what, that means 50 DO NOT HAVE it.
    And while I do know that I can be a virgin, have sex with another virgin and get it. It is a contact virus, so handtohand contact may be all that is needed.nbsp; But then again, some people can have sex withnbsp;thousands and still not get it, or any STI's for that case.
    Aboutnbsp;that "holier that thou" attitude; thatnbsp;was not my goal. Maybe conservative was not the best word. That is just a word that we use at work. Atrisk lifestyle or conservativenbsp;lifestyle. What other word/phrase would some of you suggest?
    I just did not like that statement that "pretty much every one gets it". Becuase, no.. not every one gets it.

If you are lucky enough to go your entire life with out at least one form of HPV then that would be impressive. Your first post made you sound like a douche. As others have said, and you have acknowledged, you can be sparing in your sex partners and still get it. Shoot, you can abstain from intercourse all together and still get it if someone shakes your hand.

Release your clenched fist from your pearls and realize that people are human. You might get HPV one day yourself. It's not leprosy or a death sentence.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Options
    imagelucy11111:
    imagesavannah_girl:

imagemargaretkaye1:

Hey Savannah - That is one of the stupidest things I've read on here. 

I second Lucy.

OP, I've heard of lots of women who've had LEEP procedures go on to have many healthy pregnancies.  Like PP said, I bet if you talked to your Dr he/she would make you feel better and give you more info, since it's something they see all the time.  That sucks you found out right before your wedding, as if planning a wedding isn't stressful enough!  Don't worry so much, trying for 5 months is a drag, but not that long in the scheme of things, especially after being on BCP.  Keep the faith!  ::hugs:: 

imageimageimage
  • Options

Wow, what a discussion....  not looking for an STI debate here...  don't even know where it came from, I'm guessing my ex, but that wasn't the point here... 

Thank you for those of you who are easing my fears.  I have heard about the "stitch" so I'm guessing I'll be getting that.  I'm thinking I'll be considered a "high risk" pregnancy because of it?

• Options
    imageCNS1212:

Wow, what a discussion....  not looking for an STI debate here...  don't even know where it came from, I'm guessing my ex, but that wasn't the point here... 

Thank you for those of you who are easing my fears.  I have heard about the "stitch" so I'm guessing I'll be getting that.  I'm thinking I'll be considered a "high risk" pregnancy because of it?

I don't think so. 

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Options
    imageCNS1212:

What? No.

I had a LEEP. I had a perfectly healthy pregnancy that was not high risk in any way. I did not need a cerclage, despite carrying a large, active baby. Yes, some people will need them due to LEEPs, and if you do need a cerclage you may be considered high-risk, but having had a LEEP does not automatically = high risk.

When I raised my concerns to my OB, she said she has seen tons of women who have had LEEPs have normal, healthy pregnancies and she was not concerned in the least. And, like skoczera said, if you've only had one procedure, chances are your cervix is just dandy and you have nothing to worry about.

imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imagesavannah_girl:
    I do not assume that peole with any STI are hobag I think that was the term some one used. And yes, I am very up to date with the HPV and the 50 stat. Guess what, that means 50 DO NOT HAVE it.
    And while I do know that I can be a virgin, have sex with another virgin and get it. It is a contact virus, so handtohand contact may be all that is needed.nbsp; But then again, some people can have sex withnbsp;thousands and still not get it, or any STI's for that case.
    Aboutnbsp;that "holier that thou" attitude; thatnbsp;was not my goal. Maybe conservative was not the best word. That is just a word that we use at work. Atrisk lifestyle or conservativenbsp;lifestyle. What other word/phrase would some of you suggest?

Wording it as atrisk vs. conservative isn't much better. I suppose my three year committed monogamous relationship puts me in the at risk category by your standards then. I was living a "conservative" lifestyle by pretty much anyone's standards and guess what? I got HPV. Wanna know what else? It led to non invasive cervical cancer. Stds and stis can happen to anyone no matter how careful you think you are being.

TTC #1 Since Feb 2012
    Me: 31, DH: 32
    Bloodwork, HSG, and SA = All Good

RE Cycle #1: 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel, and TI = BFP on June 8!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Beta #1 115, Beta #2 244, 8 week ultrasound shows one beautiful gummy bear and heartbeat!

• Options
    imageCNS1212:

Sometimes posts take a crazy turn, it's the internet. But honestly you should be perfectly fine. You don't currently have HPV, so that's good, and you can't really know how the leep procedure could affect a pregnancy until you're pregnant.

HTH, good luck!

PCOS Dx 12.08 / BFP! 4.22.10 DS1 born 1.4.11 DS2 born 6.19.13
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

For the record, I was the town bicycle in college and I got HPV. Worth it!

OP, I'm glad you asked this question because I've been wondering about my colposcopy affecting my TTC efforts.  

I promise to never forget that this little dude deserves just as much love after the baby comes as he has now.
    imageimageimageimage
    Me & H: 28 TTC #1 since 7/12...come on baby!
  • Options

Well, I don't have anything new to add as far as the LEEP, just what PP have said, bring your concerns up with your Dr.

I was diagnosed with HPV at one of my first visits ever to a Gyn, I have had several colposcopies, but never a LEEP.  I did not have any problems with my pregnancy with DD due to the HPV, and it didn't even show up on my PAP at my annual after delivery.

Welcome to the board, and good luck! 

BFP 1/30/13 EDD 10/6/13Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I had a LEEP in 2005, got pregnant with DS on our 6th month of trying.  My OBGYN said that sometimes the scar tissue on your cervix can lead to problems dialating.  This is exactly what happened to me, I dialated to 7cm and got stuck and ended up needing a C-section.  It shouldn't affect your ability to get pregnant.
    BKP__Levi's One Year_0032_CDBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageTeamAwesomeBaby:

OP, I'm glad you asked this question because I've been wondering about my colposcopy affecting my TTC efforts.  

Jesus Christ, you are my favorite person on here. True story. I'm Team TAB.

My ex husband cheated on me and gave me HPV as a parting gift. I led a conservative lifestyle and it still found me. So if anyone believes they are "immune" that's a false sense of security.  

Love is multiplied: DS #1: 1.5.99 ~ DS #2: 9.23.11 ~ DD 8.29.13

m/c 11/12/12 - sleep tight baby bean.

Bitty Baby #4, please stick around - we already love you so very much!

Ultrasound 11/4 - TWO HEARTBEATS!!!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

LOL you guys crack me up!!!  I've had 3 partners in my life...and with my ex, we broke up in the middle and got back together too many times, so I'm guessing that's where it came from...but whatever.  I know the statistics and I'm not too worried about it, since I'm married now, and it's just me and my DH.  All I wanted to know is if it was going to affect my chances of conceiving and my pregnancies... 

Nice to meet you guys too!!  I may be getting addicted to the boards...hahaha!

• Options
    imageac5008:
    imageTeamAwesomeBaby:

Jesus Christ, you are my favorite person on here. True story. I'm Team TAB.

Me too! Team TAB! That was hilarious.

AC, MH was looking over my shoulder when I was reading your post and he said "Aww, cute baby! Whose baby is that?"  

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Why is the rate 80%? There is an effective vaccine for HPV and has been since at least 2006. It's 3 easy shots. Shouldn't the rate be going down as the younger generations get vaccinated?
    DD 1- born January 22, 2014
    Due June 25 2017

• Options
    imagePrimRoseMama:

I am so sorry you are dealing with HPV. I don't have personal experience with it, but I understand that it can clear up on its own (certain strains). Have you had repeat testing to see if it is still present?  

I had an abnormal pap in April 2010, had the colposcopy right after that and it was positive for HPV.  Because it was so early on (another reason to get regular paps) and my doctor said it could clear up on it's own they weren't worried.  I had a pap done at the end of that year that was normal, and another last year that was normal so it can clear it's self up.  

If your still nervous have another pap done, but if your doctor isn't worried I wouldn't be.  

ETA:  I did have the vaccination in HS.  DH has been the only person I have had sex with and we didn't start that until I was 22.  And I still got HPV. 

R&K married 4.15.11. TTC #1 since 7.11.12

BFP #1 9.9.12 EDD 5.21.13 c/p 9.12.12 at 4 weeks 1 day

BFP #2 10.15.12 EDD 6.28.13 c/p 10.19.12 at  4 weeks.

BFP #3 1.19.13 EDD 10.1.13 Eleanor born 10.7.13 at 40 weeks 6 days

13dpo hcg@32, progesterone@13.7, 15dpo hcg@110, 16dpo progesterone@25.9

My blog:Urban Times in Michigan ~ My Bfp Chart

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imagecurlylocks3:
    imageGhostMonkey:
    imageCNS1212:

Because your paps are normal. If you had it you would either have abnormal paps or warts.

Did your doctor seriously not explain any of this to you? I went to a student death center when I had this and they explained all of this.

If your student health center was anything like mine you could go in with a sinus infection and leave with a diagnosis of pneumonia. So your typo seems appropriate :)

My student health center was absurd. They assumed everything was related to STIs. A friend of mine went in because he punched a wall and broke his hand. The doctor's first question upon seeing his hand was, "Did you have unprotected sex?" Naturally confused, my friend responded, "With my hand??"

imageimage
  • Options

TAB, you are awesome.

Current information on the HPV Rate is 80% of women at some point in their life will acquire it, but not all will lead to cervical cancer, and many women will not even know they had HPV (no signs or symptoms or positive HPV test).

Yes there are over 100 strains of HPV. The vaccine only covers the "most common" 3-4 of the strains.

Personally, had a positive HPV pap in 2007. Had baby in 2007. Got pregnant in 2008, with still a positive HPV test. Negative HPV after baby in 2009. It happens. Had negative HPV tests since. Your body can 'fight' it off, as well.

~spaceunicorn~
  • Options
    imagemargaretkaye1:

imagehopeful808:
    Why is the rate 80%? There is an effective vaccine for HPV and has been since at least 2006. It's 3 easy shots. Shouldn't the rate be going down as the younger generations get vaccinated?

Its only effective for a few of the strains. I know it wasnt originally approved for men, but I think I heard that that changed.  

The rate's also still so high because there are more and more people who were previously undiagnosed.  The CDC has changed the testing guidelines and suggests now that every women over 18 (I think, but it could have been 21) gets tested for HPV at least once.  I wrote a paper on the epidemiology of HPV back in 1998, and it was estimated to be over 50% at that time, but due to the lack of testing and the stigma that is associated with STDs, the true number of infections could only be estimated.

The vaccine is still only "suggested" - and it's controversial for some folks...  like talking about BC with kids.  I've heard some of the women at work talking about it, and they're like "MY kid won't be having sex so they won't get it" (They must live in savannah_girl's neighborhood where it's only the slutty, dirty girls who get HPV)  Then there are the parents who think that having daughters on BC, or vaccinated for HPV, is telling them to go ahead and have sex early in life...  It's not, it's really just saying "I want you to be smart and safe"... 

I got HPV from the first person I slept with, who had only been with one person before me.  I've always been called "conservative" by my more "promiscuous" friends; I think that savannah_girl would think differently, but I think that she has a very sheltered, naive view on the world and should get out and live/learn a little more before spewing her "hate", I mean opinions, out in public...

I'm "fortunate" that I have a wartless strain, but unfortunate because I have one of the highrisk strains for cervical cancer - I haven't had 2 normal paps since 2000, and I have 2 per year on average.

I'm Catholic and while I hope that my stepdaughter, and any future children, will wait for marriage, I'm a realist and I know that things happen.  I'm trying to teach her that she needs to be older and be responsible for her health and safety, and we're approaching the sex talks soon (training bras this year, so we can't be too far off from full-fledged puberty)...  I'm going to advocate for the vaccine, but I'll have to convince not only my husband, but my stepdaughter's mother as well... I'm hoping that there's more of a positive buzz about the vaccine by that time.

formerly skoczera
    ~s.h.
    38 y.o. w/PCOS

F14 October Siggy Challenge - Animals in Costume
    ...image...

August Siggy Challenge-Rainbows & Unicorns

March 10, 2014 - G was born

Lilypie First Birthday tickers    Anniversary       
  • Options

I just couldn't resist. 

imageimageimage
  • Options
    imageGhostMonkey:

imagehopeful808:

Seriously? No one over 25 can get it. How many people does that leave out? 

And there is no proof of the long term efficacy of that shot.

Also the vaccine only works against certain strains of HPV. I believe it is the 5 most aggressive, but I am not 100% on that. 
    That leaves plenty of non aggressive HPV for the rest of us to bathe in! Hooray! 
    I love me some "At risk" sex... which pretty much means any sex. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    2002 Lap. surgery Stage 3 Endo
    Amenorrhea/Anovulation since 2009
    3/2012 HSG left dialated/Hydrosalpinx, right tube blocked
    3/2012 SA - Normal! Go little swimmers!
    Lap. surgery 6/13/12 stage 4 Endo Cleared tubes, removed cysts and adhesions.
    Repeat HSG, right tube blocked/left hydro. PCOS, and Endometrial hyperplasia.
    Moving forward with purchasing a home, then maybe IVF/ adoption/embryo adoption/ or child free.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"