Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Day 1 of 3 day potty method

My DD is 21 months, i have time off work so i'm trying the 3 day method.  Today didn't go that great, she peed on the floor/couch 13 times, didn't ask me to go, a few times she asked while she started and finished on the potty.  I got the feeling she didn't care whether she did it on the floor or not either.

How do i know if she is just not ready?  She is not waking up dry yet but she does tell me when she needs to or starts pooping.

imageNicole Hanna 11-23-2010
Birthday

Re: Day 1 of 3 day potty method

• Options
    I would say it's probably not working and you should do a different method.  personally I could not stand pee on my furniture and floors.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I tried it with my daughter at 2.5 and it didn't work, put diapers back on a tried again a few months later and it clicked. 

is she showing signs of readiness?  Here is a link to see if she is https://www2.aap.org/publiced/BR_ToiletTrain.htm

if not, then she probably is not ready and I would revisit it.  It has nothing to do with the three day method it has to do with her readiness.  Yes some kids are ready at 18 months but majority aren't ready till 2.5 or even 3 +

to me it sounds like she isn't ready, but the three day method does take three days at least. so you could see how it goes tomorrow.

DD (8/12/09), DD (2/8/11)
    BFP 12/16/14| EDD 8/19/15 |MMC 1/15/15 (9 weeks 1 day)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I do know people who have used the 3 day method and, eventually, it worked for them.  I also do know that they're LO's showed interest, all around, in going potty.  Not just by telling them, but by going to the potty, sitting on the potty themselves, waking up dry, etc.  My older DD showed interest when she was just shy of her 2 year birthday.  I was visiting my father in FL and I had the potty seat out to use as a step stool.  She was running around the house naked (thank goodness for tile flooring) after being in the pool and I couldn't find her.  I looked in the bathroom and she was sitting on the potty, herself, with a book (it was upside down).  I just went with it from there and she was potty trained by the time she was 2.  That was just lucky, but this was in combination with being dry when she woke up as well as some other signs.  I say if you're really devoted to making it work this time around, just be SO SO SO consistent and physically PUT HER on the toilet every 1/2 hour, if you have a little potty, keep it in the room where you are most of the time. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We did a sorta kinda 3-day with DS1 and yes, we definitely had pee on the floor---learned to put down plastic really quickly.  LOL.  BUT it did get better after a few days--and I'd say by day 4-5 he was doing great.  But really...it took quite a long time. 

Does she have interest in sitting on the toilet?  For DS1 he liked it--- he had his little potty and he did like it.  So the next step was helping him with the sensation of peeing and making sure he made it there in time--which takes time.

Did she pick out her own undies?  That helped with DS1...how silly it sounds--but they were characters he really liked and well....you don't want to pee on them, right?  LOL.

We also did use rewards from time to time---I made a small box of stickers, M&Ms and just tiny things that he could pick from --and that helped a TON.

BUT--you have to trust your gut.  She might just be too young.

• Options
    Personally, I'm skeptical of the 3 day method.  I think it's overly optimistic.  I don't know anyone who it's worked for.  Maybe someone here can tell me it worked for them.  We tried it with DS1 and it ended up being the 14 day potty training method, which I consider to be a success.  I think it's kind of a lot to ask a kid to be potty trained in 3 days.  I would give it a week and if there's no progress, try again in a few months.  If you don't like her peeing on the floor in the house,  take her outdoors into the yard for as much as you can.  That way, she's just peeing on grass.  I know a lot of people wait til summer to PT just so they can do this.  Are you putting underwear on her or just letting her be naked from the waist down?  We read to leave our kid naked, but found that if we put underwear  and sweatpants on him, he actually learned faster because he could feel the wetness on his clothes when he peed.  It makes for a lot of laundry, but it worked. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We did a 5 day method with DD at 19 months.  Day 1 I caught her mid pee 3 times and put her on the potty.  Gave M&Ms and had a potty dance.  That really helped her connect what she was doing to where she needed to do it.  That would be my suggestion.
  • Options
    The 3 day method that I have read and plan to use says that for most kids it won't click until day 3. I don't think you can judge based on the first day. I think you should keep trying and see where she is on day 3.
  • Options

I really don't like 'methods' that hav ea time limit. This is such a learning curve and I think even for a success afte r3 days, it's not like they're 100% clean and dry, unless you waited until they were past ready, IMO.

DS wanted to train at 24 months. It took about 2 months before I felt I could say he was PTed - i.e. I could safely say we'd have no accidents. And we're 10 days into PTing my DS (20m) and while something definitely clicked aroudn day 2, it's still going to be a long process.

If you think your child is ready, has shown the signs, just keep at it. I'm reminding myself this now, when I've had 3 accidents today and feel like it's just such hard work. 

Mum to W (4) and M (nearly 2)
  • Options

We are currently on day 3 of the 3-Day Method.  Day 1 was 13 accidents, Day 2 was 6 accidents, and today so far he's had none.  I'm hoping he keeps that up for the rest of the day but I surprised if he has a couple today.  I'm expecting this to take at least 4-5 days.  

After 13 accidents the first day I was ready to give up.  But DH convinced me to keep going and I'm happy I did.   I'm hopeful so far from what I've seen.

• Options

Thanks everyone.  Day 2 for us wasn't any better she just wasn't feeling well and refused to sit on the potty at all for the most part.  The only progress was that she ran to the potty once she started going and did go once after dinner after i bribed her with cartoon to sit for 2 seconds.

As such, i decided she's not ready yet.  I'll keep going when she's at home consistently but they won't do it at daycare unless she's fully trained at home anyway, so pullups for daycare.

imageNicole Hanna 11-23-2010
    Birthday
  • Options

imageNewFamily09:
    Personally, I'm skeptical of the 3 day method.  I think it's overly optimistic.  I don't know anyone who it's worked for.  Maybe someone here can tell me it worked for them.  We tried it with DS1 and it ended up being the 14 day potty training method, which I consider to be a success.  I think it's kind of a lot to ask a kid to be potty trained in 3 days.  I would give it a week and if there's no progress, try again in a few months.  If you don't like her peeing on the floor in the house,  take her outdoors into the yard for as much as you can.  That way, she's just peeing on grass.  I know a lot of people wait til summer to PT just so they can do this.  Are you putting underwear on her or just letting her be naked from the waist down?  We read to leave our kid naked, but found that if we put underwear  and sweatpants on him, he actually learned faster because he could feel the wetness on his clothes when he peed.  It makes for a lot of laundry, but it worked. 

It worked for me, but only the second time around when she was really showing signs. and she was over 2.5. 

DD (8/12/09), DD (2/8/11)
    BFP 12/16/14| EDD 8/19/15 |MMC 1/15/15 (9 weeks 1 day)
  • Options
    Tried the 3 day method at 25 months and it was a big fail and DD was physically ready (waking up dry most mornings, waking up dry from naps every day and staying dry for prolonged periods of time). She just didn't like being forced and held everything (I stopped because she had not pooped in 4 days (that was half way through the 2 nd day). She also didn't care about any of the treats (things she loves). She hated the potty after that. I backed off but gave her lots of naked time and did some other things to make her more aware. 1 month later while on vacation she did it herself one day (she was running around naked there too and i just kept telling her to ask for a diaper or sit on the potty and she chose the latter) She hasn't looked back and we have had very few accidents and she tells me when she needs to go. I will ask her to go before we get into the car but if she refuses I honor that and don't force her on the potty. We also didn't end up having to use any rewards other than high fives. 3 day PT would not have worked for us even at a later date.
  • Options

I just posted this on a local Mom's board, sorry for the cut and paste, but this is our success story:

I wanted to share the potty success that we have had with our 17 month old because I never thought that she would be using the potty this much at this age and thought sharing a success story (so far) might be positive for others.

And I will note that with my first child I read about Elimination Communication and thought it was nuts.

My daughter, now 17 months, poops like clock work right after meals. So we have been encouraging her to sit on the potty after she eats. 9 times out of 10 she will poop on the potty. In the last week or so she has been asking to poop after meals, and at a few other various times. She will also pee on the potty and tell us "I pee". She still poops in her diapers, often in her crib when she is waking up, but I will take all of the poops on the potty that I can get! I am thrilled with her success (so far).

We bought a small seat with handles that goes right onto our large potty and that works for us. I sit right by her as she isnt stable enough to be left alone, but being up high limits her ability to run away. We never force her to try and right now she thinks that it's fun b/c we sing and read books. My main objective is to have her never become fearful of pooping on the potty. I want it to be a relaxing and easy time so help prevent issues down the road.

One hiccup though.... we went away last weekend to Santa's Village and she didn't poop all day. I think that she wanted to go on the potty because she kept saying "I poop I poop" but I didnt want to put her on a large public potty. Eventually she found a quiet space and the deed was done, but it did impact our day slightly.

Anyways, I just wanted to share our story. Why not try, right??

Like giveaways? Like my blog!
    www.facebook.com/TryVermontFirst
    I love these two beautiful children!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"