November 2011 Moms

UO

2»

Re: UO

• imageddgrgirl23:
    imagemama&baby:
    imageddgrgirl23:
    imagelovesjm:

I am just jumping in here to say that I believe that science and religion can coexist, and even complement each other. I do believe in evolution, but that it was guided and written by the God of the Bible. And if you look back to the original Hebrew text in Genesis, the words used for periods of time (day 1, day 2, day 3) could also be translated as "a period of time", so that could be a day, a year, or a million years.

Disagree. Science is based on facts not faith. There is no factual evidence that God had any part in evolution.

That would be why she said she believes in evolution coexisting with the Bible, not that it was a fact. 

I for one am an evolutionist, but I'm not going to bash anyone for their beliefs. It's not like I was standing there when the worlds was made.

I can still disagree. It doesn't make sense to me to say they can coexist. So you believe in science until something hasn't been proven and then it was God's doing? I don't get it. I think science and faith are two different ways of forming answers. One based on evidence and one based on belief. I also wouldn't call someone an idiot for having a different opinion.
    Of course you can disagree.

Why wouldn't the bible and science, evolution and the bible, or anything other phrasing be unable to coexist? Nothing in science rules out Gods existence to say that it has to be one or the other. And just because you come to a conclusion from different perspectives doesn't make one wrong somehow when they come to the same conclusion. I'm sure I'm not the only here who believes that science will only come to prove intelligent design. Also, I believe in the truths that science presents, does that mean that I should somehow discount that as merely faith?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagegracefulruby33:
    imageKaeldrasmommy:
    imagegracefulruby33:
    imagesmilelari:

imagegracefulruby33:
    I feel sorry for people who have never seen certain movies. If you haven't seen a Star Wars movie, Back to the Future, or Indiana Jones, for example, you just weren't raised correctly. I am being sarcastic, but not really. Before I became a SAHM, my boss hadn't seen any of those movies. That just blows my mind. What the hell crap did you watch growing up?!?

I've never seen Back to the Future.  I've seen Star Wars and Indiana Jones but I didn't see them until I was an adult.

Star Wars came out in the 70s.  Indiana Jones came out in the early 80s.  I was born in 79, so if I was watching anything, it was more along the lines of the Care Bear movie.  It's kind of like expecting that my kids will have seen Twilight.  They might, but it's really before their time.

Smilelari, you have got to go rent Back to the Future. GET ON IT!

As for the bolded, to even put Twilight in the same category, the same paragraph, the same post on a message board is blasphemy! Twilight is crap. I think Harry Potter is more along the lines as the Star Wars of our time.

Lol, I like Twilight.

Oh, sweetie, I like it too. But it's BAD that I like it because it's crap. It really is. It's like putting Creed in the same category as Nirvana or the Smashing Pumpkins. I bought Creed albums when I was 13, but it doesn't mean they're good. I recognize that they're terrible, yet I listened to them anyway.

You are very right. It is crap. It's literary crack. Although we will have to disagree on music, because whereas Nirvana had their good points, I'm pretty sure they never would have had the status they do if Kurt Cobain hadn't killed himself.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagelkm2006:
    imagemabenner1:
    I think people that don't believe in evolutionnbsp;are idiots.
    I don't believe in evolution. I am sure people/things have evolved over time but I dont think man evolved from monkeys or the earth was just created. I have religious beliefs in regards to those type things but I wouldn't call myself an iditot. I can't think of my own UO right now. Maybe I'll be back!

I would like to clarify that humans did not evolve from monkeys.  Monkeys and humans have a common ancestor which was neither human nor monkey.

Also, from another of your posts that said evolution is "just a theory"...heliocentrism (the sun is the center of the solar system), gravity, cell theory (all living things are made of cells, etc.)...those are all scientific theories.  A scientific theory is not the same as the common usage of the word theory (a guess).  It's a scientific consensus based on evidence.

I would also like to say that I do have religious beliefs that coexist with my ones on evolution.  And, I don't think you're an idiot. :)

• imagelemonJAM:

imagelkm2006:
    imagemabenner1:
    I don't believe in evolution. I am sure people/things have evolved over time but I dont think man evolved from monkeys or the earth was just created. I have religious beliefs in regards to those type things but I wouldn't call myself an iditot. I can't think of my own UO right now. Maybe I'll be back!

I would like to clarify that humans did not evolve from monkeys.  Monkeys and humans have a common ancestor which was neither human nor monkey.

Also, from another of your posts that said evolution is "just a theory"...heliocentrism (the sun is the center of the solar system), gravity, cell theory (all living things are made of cells, etc.)...those are all scientific theories.  A scientific theory is not the same as the common usage of the word theory (a guess).  It's a scientific consensus based on evidence.

I would also like to say that I do have religious beliefs that coexist with my ones on evolution.  And, I don't think you're an idiot. :)

Thank you :)

As for the monkey relation.. I'll be honest, when I think of evolution that is one of the first things that pops in my head!  

This whole post has me thinking of the Friends episode where Ross tries to convince Phoebe the whole time about evolution. 

• My UO after reading this thread is how dumb it is to call people idiots or other names just because they don't believe in the same things as you.

My other UO is that the new trend of leather leggings is rediculous and only preTeens should be allowed to wear them! They are hideous!
  • imageNwlywed07:
    My UO after reading this thread is how dumb it is to call people idiots or other names just because they don't believe in the same things as you. My other UO is that the new trend of leather leggings is rediculous and only preTeens should be allowed to wear them! They are hideous!
    No way! I guess my oldest will actually be a teenager in a few days *cringe* but I would have a flat conniption fit if she tried to wear much of anything made of leather, let alone leggings. Talk about hooker wear!
  • imageddgrgirl23:
    imagelovesjm:

I am just jumping in here to say that I believe that science and religion can coexist, and even complement each other. I do believe in evolution, but that it was guided and written by the God of the Bible. And if you look back to the original Hebrew text in Genesis, the words used for periods of time (day 1, day 2, day 3) could also be translated as "a period of time", so that could be a day, a year, or a million years.

Disagree. Science is based on facts not faith. There is no factual evidence that God had any part in evolution.

I don't think what I said negated any scientific fact; I agree with scientists in regards to evolution. I just think that Someone had a hand in it. Personally, for me, that is easier to believe than that it all happened by chance.  There might not be any factual evidence that God had any part in it, but there also isn't any evidence that He didn't.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageKaeldrasmommy:
    imageddgrgirl23:
    imagemama&baby:
    imageddgrgirl23:
    imagelovesjm:

That would be why she said she believes in evolution coexisting with the Bible, not that it was a fact. 

I for one am an evolutionist, but I'm not going to bash anyone for their beliefs. It's not like I was standing there when the worlds was made.

I can still disagree. It doesn't make sense to me to say they can coexist. So you believe in science until something hasn't been proven and then it was God's doing? I don't get it. I think science and faith are two different ways of forming answers. One based on evidence and one based on belief. I also wouldn't call someone an idiot for having a different opinion.

Why wouldn't the bible and science, evolution and the bible, or anything other phrasing be unable to coexist? Nothing in science rules out Gods existence to say that it has to be one or the other. And just because you come to a conclusion from different perspectives doesn't make one wrong somehow when they come to the same conclusion. I'm sure I'm not the only here who believes that science will only come to prove intelligent design. Also, I believe in the truths that science presents, does that mean that I should somehow discount that as merely faith?

I like the way you think too :) 

• imagelovesjm:
    imageKaeldrasmommy:
    imageddgrgirl23:
    imagemama&baby:
    imageddgrgirl23:
    imagelovesjm:

I like the way you think too :) 

YesBig Smile
  • imagesmilelari:

I also think that it's kind of funny that people believe in evolution but also believe that childbirth isn't possible without medical intervention 

Agreed, but I'm certain there are far more people who just aren't interested in a med/intervention free birth, than people who don't believe it's possible.

Was it possible for me to have a natural childbirth? Sure. Did I want to be induced? No.  But did I want my epidural? Hell yes.

• imageTastetherainbowunicorn:
    imagelovesjm:

I agree! My sister actually learned about evolution in Catholic school.

I hate how people think it's amazing that Cathlolics teach evolution.  People always think that Catholicism is so strict, unyeilding, stuck in the dark ages etc. and yes, in some instances this is very true, but back in the 90's ( I think), the Pope put out a decree that Evolution is a valid theory.  He spoke about the Bible and Evoloution coecisting and complementing eachother.  I wish I still had the article, but my mom showed me a great article about this when my Evolution class, in college, talked about how you can link your religous beliefs with the Theory of Evolution. 

And maben, thank you for pointing out that all of science is theories!  It was starting to bug me when I was reading the first few posts this morning!!

BFP #1 August 2007, Lost Nov 2007, no heartbeat found at anatomy ultrasound at 19 wks
    BFP #2 March 2011, Baby Girl born November 2011!!!
  • imagelkm2006:
    imagelemonJAM:

imagelkm2006:
    imagemabenner1:

Thank you :)

As for the monkey relation.. I'll be honest, when I think of evolution that is one of the first things that pops in my head!  

This whole post has me thinking of the Friends episode where Ross tries to convince Phoebe the whole time about evolution. 

Haha love Friends!!

BFP #1 August 2007, Lost Nov 2007, no heartbeat found at anatomy ultrasound at 19 wks
    BFP #2 March 2011, Baby Girl born November 2011!!!
  • imagesmilelari:

I believe that the free market should be allowed to dictate a lot that goes on in the economy and work force and that this morning Google's proving that the free market really can work (offering 5 months of paid maternity leave to retain female employees).

I also think that it's kind of funny that people believe in evolution but also believe that childbirth isn't possible without medical intervention 

Medical Intervention isn't always necessary and women have been birthing babies for thousands of years, but a lot of women and babies have died during child birth too.  In my opinion, lower infant mortality rates and maternal deaths trumps everything.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagelkm2006:
    I believe in science but I think I can still do so and not believe in evolution. Science is a very wide and important part of our lives but evolution is just a theory. IMO its a theory that I dont agree with but like I said, I take a religious approach to those type of subjects.

You don't understand what a scientific theory is.  You're saying you don't believe in something that has been confirmed.  That's just dumb.

From wikipedia:

In modern science, the term "theory" refers to scientific theories, a well-confirmed type of explanation of nature, made in a way consistent with scientific method, and fulfilling the criteria required by modern science. Such theories are described in such a way that any scientist in the field is in a position to understand and either provide empirical support ("verify") or empirically contradict ("falsify") it. Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge,[2] in contrast to more common uses of the word "theory" that imply that something is unproven or speculative.

• imagesmilelari:

I don't understand your point at all.  Of course childbirth is possible without medical intervention.  Without intervention, however, some babies and moms would die.  Most wouldn't.  People CHOOSE to get medical intervention to reduce the risk of death, and to provide pain relief.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"