March 2013 Moms
Options

Vent: I have no girl friends!

So I know this isn't like a disaster but I've realized that nearly all of my friends are guys.  I have a handful of friends that are girls and my two best friends want to have a friends only baby shower.   I've been trying to list people and I've only got 7 people plus my two best friends.  A couple are old friends I haven't talked to since high school and so they are very unlikely to come.  I'm really worried its only going to be like 5 people and going to be mega lame!  

I don't know if I should tell my friends that they should plan something with my mom (lots of relatives are far away and probably won't come) so we can fill it out.  The other side of it is that I think they were going to plan something a bit...unconventional...so I don't know if that would work well with my mom's work friends and relatives.  My mom has already said she doesn't want to throw a party (not really her style to plan these sort of things).  The good thing is that I know my MIL will probably have a HUGE thing planned for me since this is her first GK and she's sooooo excited and has TONS of people she wants to invite to celebrate (although most I won't know).  The other thought was to combine my family and DH's family for one huge shower but again that leaves us with the 5 friend baby shower by itself.

And the guilty part....I worry that we won't get enough to get us ready for the baby.  I know we can do it ourselves but it would be great to be showered in gifts to help us out.  I've got a job nannying/cleaning for a family member so that will get us through but I want to try and minimize how much we need to buy ourselves.  Alright...vent over and back to packing for moving back into our house! :P  

BFP - 9/18/11 ----- m/c 9/23/11
BFP - 7/16/12 ----- EDD 3/27/13  ----- Born 4/5/13
BFP - 5/27/14 ----- EDD 1/31/14 or 2/4/15

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Vent: I have no girl friends!

• Options

I don't have many girl friends either.  But I have no guy friends...so really it just means I don't really have many friends.  I have no friends in town.  But I'm not very social and very introverted and shy so it's my own darn fault I suppose.

My mother threw me a baby shower with my first.  I had one work friend (who was also pg), my mother, my MIL, I think one of MIL's sisters, and some of my mother's neighbors and my grandmother.  Epitome of lame.  My work threw me a party, that was cool.  I feel you.

I think it's exciting to get all the baby needs on my own.  But I don't really like receiving things from people (probably due to childhood trauma, blah), and I am really picky and don't need much of the usual baby gear.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Why are you worried you won't get what you need? You said your MIL is planning a huge event. Even if it's people you don't know very well, they'll still bring gifts.

Also, you could do a co-ed shower if most of your friends are guys. I just went to one, it was fun. No cheesy games, and beer was involved, but it wasn't a drunken party or anything. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I know this is mostly shower directed, but if you feel like you want more girl friends in your life, I would suggest two things; 1. Join a mother's club. 2. Look into your local Junior League or other womens clubs. I am a member of Junior League and love it.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    imagegenepoolperfect:

If you think it's going to be a dull shower, maybe make it an outing? Do something wackyfun like karaoke, where it's more convenient to not have a lot of people. Just make sure your group gets a table, and you can open your gifts there, in front of everyone!

That's a really good idea!  Where were you 9 years ago?  lol  Gosh, 9y ago this month actually is when I had my baby shower!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I've never heard of a junior league or mothers clubs.  What exactly is a junior league?  How do you get involved in these?
    BFP - 9/18/11 ----- m/c 9/23/11
    BFP - 7/16/12 ----- EDD 3/27/13  ----- Born 4/5/13
    BFP - 5/27/14 ----- EDD 1/31/14 or 2/4/15

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageStellarpuppy:
    I've never heard of a junior league or mothers clubs.  What exactly is a junior league?  How do you get involved in these?

I bet there is a mothers club near you. I would google "mothers club [county/larger city/region]" near you and see what pops up. Most have websites. I just googled your region and moms club and there appears to be a mom's club in your area.

The Junior League is an international non profit group of women dedicated to community service and membership development. Most, if not all, of the charities supported focus on families, women and/or children. You are required to pay dues (but it is not much) and participate in the league, actual commitments vary by the league itself. There is a one year provisional period where you learn about the league and the different things you can do and after that you are an active. You can do anything from merchandising to working on legislation that supports the League's area of focus to working on fundraisers or the charities directly. The League also puts on workshops for its members ranging from public speaking, learning non profit financials to money and time management skills.

Again, I googled "Junior League [state]" and there are several leagues in your state. You can also go to the international website and look for a league near you.  The website will give information about how to join and learn more about the League. https://www.ajli.org/

HTH! Feel free to PM me.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I feel the SAME WAY!! I only have like 3 girl friends around here and my family all lives far away. I know my MIL will do a little something for me but it won't be many people. I'm a little saddened because I kind of wanted to celebrate big- I mean we only have our first baby once right?
    TTC since June 2010
    5 Angels

Lilypie - (hlC0)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"