Infertility Veterans
Options

Human Growth Hormone for IVF???

My RE is recommending that we use human growth hormone (hgh)(brand name Saizen) on our next IVF cycle.

I've done some reseach and it seems like primarily this is used in women over 40 to help with egg quality-I'm 31.

Also, this is going to add around $1500 on to our meds....thoughts?  I know I need to do some more research but I thought I would ask here first.

Has anyone else used this?

TTC since 5/2010
DX with Diminished Ovarian Reserve - AMH of 1.1 - 7/2011; AMH of .42 8/2012
BFP 9/1/10-M/C confirmed 9/8/10-Methotrexate 10/6/10
IUI #1 (w/clomid)-9/5/11-BFN ; IUI #2 (w/clomid)-10/5/11 - BFP - 11/1/12-No sac seen; 11/2/11 and 11/9/11-Methotrexate 
IVF #1- ER 2/2; ET 2/5;-Two 8 cell embryos transfered = BFFN
Surprise BFP - 5/7/12
U/S on 6/8/12 - H/B at 128 BPM; U/S on 6/14/12 @ 9wks-No H/B-D&C on 6/17/12
IVF 2.0- ER 10/17; ET 10/20-One 12 cell, one 10 cell and one 8 cell embryo transfered
BFP!   11/16/12 U/S- Two nuggets with perfect heartbeats! EDD 7/10/13

5/31/2013- My miracles arrived at 34w2d!  Welcome to the world Harper and Nolan!Lilypie First Birthday tickers

My Blog- http://waitingonaangel.wordpress.com/

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Human Growth Hormone for IVF???

• Options

I used HGH on my last cycle.   My RE said she likes her patients that have had a failed cycle or are over 35 to use HGH to help with egg quality.

I used a different brand, Omnitrope, and did the shots every other day. 

I don't know if it helped or not.  It was a new RE and also a new med.  I don't know what was the magic ticket, but something worked, even when my odds weren't good.

How was your egg/embryo quality for your last cycle?  HGH was expensive and it stung like helll!!!  But if it helped at all, it was worth it for me!

Good luck!!

Renee- 37 DH - Chad - 39
    2/06 - surprise pregnancy - twins
    3/06 - m/c 1st baby at 6 weeks 
    5/06 -2nd baby had no heartbeat at 14 wks.
    D&E - Bled out. Blood transfusions. Week in ICU - Cheated Death!
    Diagnosis: Blood clotting and bleeding disorder, immune issues, & cervical stenosis
    5/10 - 1st IVF cycle - BFN
    FET - 10/12/10 - BFN
    1/11 - IVF with PGD - BFN
    IVF - May - BFN
    6/11 New RE - fingers crossed!
    9/11 - IVF - 4 transferred
    10/13 - BFP!!
    It's a boy! Clint Michael, Due in June!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

We used Tev-Tropin for two cycles.  Obviously, we didn't have success, but I don't regret trying it.  There are some studies which show a positive correlation between HGH and egg quality, though its use remains open to debate. 

If a cycle is successful, you'll never know what did the trick.  Our thinking was that with DOR, it was highly likely that we have a quality issue.  (The consensus is that a DOR diagnosis goes hand in hand with egg quality issues, regardless of age.). And, in the grand scheme of things, we didn't think an additional $1500 was a big deal especially given the possible benefits.  GL!

Baby girl Lila born 2013.
    Baby boy Henry born 2015.
    Expecting our capstone baby (boy) early March 2018.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagenaybird:

I used HGH on my last cycle.   My RE said she likes her patients that have had a failed cycle or are over 35 to use HGH to help with egg quality.

I used a different brand, Omnitrope, and did the shots every other day. 

I don't know if it helped or not.  It was a new RE and also a new med.  I don't know what was the magic ticket, but something worked, even when my odds weren't good.

How was your egg/embryo quality for your last cycle?  HGH was expensive and it stung like helll!!!  But if it helped at all, it was worth it for me!

Good luck!!

Out of 8 eggs, 5 fertilized, but only 2 of those embryo's were any good.  This very well might be our last shot at IVF with our OE, so we'll most likely do it-I would hate to wonder what if.

TTC since 5/2010
    DX with Diminished Ovarian Reserve - AMH of 1.1 - 7/2011; AMH of .42 8/2012
    BFP 9/1/10-M/C confirmed 9/8/10-Methotrexate 10/6/10
    IUI #1 (w/clomid)-9/5/11-BFN ; IUI #2 (w/clomid)-10/5/11 - BFP - 11/1/12-No sac seen; 11/2/11 and 11/9/11-Methotrexate 
    IVF #1- ER 2/2; ET 2/5;-Two 8 cell embryos transfered = BFFN
    Surprise BFP - 5/7/12
    U/S on 6/8/12 - H/B at 128 BPM; U/S on 6/14/12 @ 9wks-No H/B-D&C on 6/17/12
    IVF 2.0- ER 10/17; ET 10/20-One 12 cell, one 10 cell and one 8 cell embryo transfered
    BFP!   11/16/12 U/S- Two nuggets with perfect heartbeats! EDD 7/10/13

5/31/2013- My miracles arrived at 34w2d!  Welcome to the world Harper and Nolan!Lilypie First Birthday tickers

My Blog- http://waitingonaangel.wordpress.com/

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I had aske my re about it, and he said no..but he also did not suspect i have an egg quality issue.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I used it with IVF #2. Interestingly, this cycle was the worst numbers wise (5R, only 2M & F), yet resulted in this singleton pregnancy.  My RE really wanted to throw the book at this cycle, as we didn't know if we'd be able to afford any more. Three vials cost me just under $1k.  Like others have said, you never really know what it was that made the difference, but I'm glad we tried everything.  I was also 31 at the time.  GL, I hope you get a plan together that you feel good about :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I used Tev-Tropin during my cycles.  Just a different brand of HGH.  When I was using it, I could get it at $350 per vial if I purchased them all at one time (it was cheaper than Saizen at that time).  So, it added $1,050 to our meds cost.  I was 32 the first time I used it and 33 the last time.

Good luck!  I really hope it makes a difference for you!

imageimage

~SAIF/PAIF/Everyone Welcome~ 

Me= 37 and DH = 41 

Dx: DOR, Endo, APA+ (really high beta 2 glycoprotein antibody and high everything else tested), heterozygous MTHFR mutation, positive for lupus anticoagulant, high FSH, low AMH and both tubes blocked (per HSG on 3/8/11)

IVF #1 - long lupron (with HGH, intralipids, lovenox and BA); 4 retrieved, 3 fertilized; ET 2 blasts and 1 frozen = BFN

IVF #2 - a version of antagonist with EPP (with HGH, intralipids, lovenox and BA); 6 retrieved, 4 mature, 3 fertilized, 2 blasts and 1 frozen blast transferred on day 5 = BFN.

IVF #3 April was postponed to May, May was canceled. June/July was canceled. Had a cyst aspiration and then began IVF #3 in August. ER on 8/22; ET on 8/24 with AH. +HPT on 9/5. Beta #1 (11dpo) = 3; Beta #2 (15dpo) = 29; Beta #3 (17dpo) = 60; Beta #4 (19 dpo) = 118. Heartbeat at 6 weeks 6 days =132.  Lil is here!

TTC#2:  Trigger + TI = BFN; Clomid + Trigger + IUI = BFN.

IVF #4:  BCP + MDLF + Lovenox = 7R, 1F = Transferred 1 6-cell embryo on day 3 = BFN

IVF #5:  MDLF + Lovenox = 4R, 1F = Transferred 1 10-cell compacting embryo on day 3 = BFN

IVF #6:  (New RE):  Long Antagonist November 2014 (transferred two 8 cell grade 1 embryos and froze one blast) = BFN

FET#1:  BFN

• Options
    Njohnson i think also used it her last cycle. Not sure how often she checks the boards but you can try paging her.
    I am AMA and all tests on H came back normal
    3 failed IVF with OE and 2 failed frozen DE cycles
    Last fresh hail mary DE cycle starting Feb 2013
    PAIF/SAIF always welcome
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"