March 2013 Moms
Options

Disappointed and overwhelmed (again)

I was hoping to announce my pregnancy to my colleagues today during our first staff meeting of the school year. Usually we all introduce ourselves and tell a few things about what we did over the summer. I knew that we would likely be doing this and was going to use this opportunity to share our news. One of my other colleagues was going to do the same (she's 20 weeks pregnant but hadn't shared publicly yet).

Over the summer I told our news to some colleagues with whom I'm close. I told them that we were not going public with the news yet and that I was hoping to share at the staff meeting. Yet, over the last week, I've been getting private messages on FB from some colleagues AND I've had numerous people from my school AND the other school in town approach me to wish their congratulations. As sweet as they've been to share their well-wishes with me, I was pretty upset that I didn't get to share my news MYSELF! :( I had a feeling this might happen a little bit but I cannot believe how fast the news spread throughout our community. I was really bummed because I feel like everyone is talking about me and DH. It's supposed to be a positive thing but I feel so weird about it. *sigh* Guess we learned a lesson.

In other, non-baby-related news, I found out that my teaching assignment is changing at the last minute. School starts on Tuesday. :S A colleague of mine, who I was supposed to share a classroom and homeroom with, has been a no-show for the last two days. Found out today that she is not coming back for a few more months (she's on leave). Rather than bringing in subs to cover for her etc., it would make more sense if I just take over the whole grade 6 class and give up the student support position I was supposed to have half-time. I'm sad because I was really looking forward to student support. However, it would be easier on the kids to have the consistency and stability of ONE teacher starting from the beginning of the school year than to have subs filling in here and there. I have A LOT of work to do over the next four days. I'm thoroughly exhausted right now and totally don't know how I'm going to make it work.

Happily married to my Snorkelbutt - 07/31/10

BFP #1 09/02/11  M/C 09/12/11 8w6days
BFP #2 07/18/12 Baby S born on his EDD 03/23/13

SS - age 12...SD - age 8...DS - 13 mos.

Re: Disappointed and overwhelmed (again)

• Options

That sucks! I've had that happen to me, except within my large family. I wanted to be the one who told people, yet the news spread faster than I thought. I totally feel ya!

I think you made the right choice and keeping your students beat interest shows how much of a caring teacher you are! You can make it through these few days!  Sending super-woman vibes your way!

• Options

Thanks, VanillaCake! I appreciate your encouraging words! :)

Also, did I read somewhere that you're in Canada? Whereabouts?

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Sorry to hear that you were disappointed by peoples' reactions.  

Wishing you good luck with the change to your position.  I know that districts around me are doing similar things of not replacing people and having others pick up the slack.  Sorry you won't do the support portion that you were looking forward to.  Try not to stress, you will make it work!  Good luck! 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers   
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Sorry your moment got ruined sweetie :( I announced on FB so I wouldn't have to say it myself at the staff meeting lol but I get why you're so bummed. I am also full force ahead with the planning. So hard to get motivated. Good luck during the school year:) 
  • Options

This time I told my colleagues at a meeting all together for just that reason. Last time I told a few close friends and one went straight to the principal and told him (within 24 hours of me telling her to PLEASE not tell him yet).

It was funny though because my one friend is out on leave and I was hanging out with another coworker when she got a text message from the other friend telling her that I'm pregnant again. I found it interesting that her first inclination was to go gossip and spread the word instead of congratulating me.

• Options

It sucks when people steal your thunder, my MIL did this to me on Facebook:(

And yes news travels super fast

• Options
    imageguilletskichuk:

You're most welcome! Yes I am Canadian, living in Ottawa what about you? 

• Options

Thank you for your kind words of support, ladies! I think it's finally sunk in that most people know and that they're congratulating me because they're happy for me (instead of being gossipy or negative). I just hope that no one tells the students quite yet because I'm just not ready for them to know. :S

As for the change in my teaching assignment, I'm very lucky that this hasn't happened before. I have former classmates in other provinces who often don't know their teaching assignments until the school year actually starts. This doesn't usually happen where I live. I'm stressed to the max right now but just have to take one thing at a time.

imageVanillaCake:
    imageguilletskichuk:

You're most welcome! Yes I am Canadian, living in Ottawa what about you? 

Cool beans! I'm in SK!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"