Birth Stories

Natural Birth in a Hospital, 1st Baby

https://wadeaminutemomma.wordpress.com/2012/08/01/es-birth-story-natural-birth/

A positive experience with natural birth in a hospital.  Bradley Method used.  Good luck to all the expectant mommas out there! 

Re: Natural Birth in a Hospital, 1st Baby

• Entertaining story.. thanks for sharing!
    TTC #1 since April 2011

BFP #1: June 7, 2012 -- EDD 2/15/13 -- MMC 8/13/12 (stopped growing at 11w) -- D&C 8/17/12

BFP #2: November 10, 2012 -- EDD 7/22/13 -- Hudson Reid

• Such an awesome story! Thanks for posting it! :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Such a wonderful birth story.  Congrats.
  • Thank you ladies, and thanks for reading!
  • Love reading stories like this, pumps me up for this second pregnancy. Congrats on your not so little one anymore! My son 19 months and our next is due at the end of Oct.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Natural MC - 4/18/10 (9 weeks)
    DS was born six weeks early on December 2010!
    Natural MC - 11/21/11 (7 weeks)
    DS born full term on October 2012!
  • Congrats!!! I love his haircolor! Oh and DH in the photo reminds me of Elvis ;)
  • I went for my 1st appointment with my OB and he laughed when I told him that I'm considering trying to go natural.  Needless to say I am looking for a new OB, which isn't a big deal because I'm only 7 weeks along.  I don't think I'll feel any shame if I end up getting an epidural, but I would like to avoid it if I can.  I think catheters are gross.  I avoided one during my ruptured appendix issue and I'd like to do it again!

I think any decision anyone makes about their bodies is acceptable, though.  I have already gotten some eye-rolls from saying I want to go natural. The strange thing is I'm the type of person who needs to go in expecting the worst but planning on ways to deal with it.  I feel like if I go in counting down the minutes to my epidural that will just make everything worse.  I want to see what I can take but not in the sense that I have anything to prove, but because I honestly think the challenge will make it easier for me.  I know, I'm weird.

My big question is: how do you deal with the nay-sayers?  The people who say it's not rational to go all-natural because we have the bounties of modern medicine at our disposal...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • What an awesome labor you had!  I hope mine goes as smoothly as yours did.  Thanks for sharing. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • congrats
  • Anna, I think it's best not to get into any kind of debate with naysayers.  I think it's in poor taste for anyone to tell you what is rational and irrational on this topic.  If you want to go there, the women who scream that they're going to die or that "no one has felt pain like this before" (heard it) are being irrational :)  But I think it would be beyond unkind to tell them so!  It's your health and your choice, and is an admirable goal for a number of reasons.  If you want to research and list them, of course you can, but I suspect that most people who react this way are not interested in hearing them.

Furthermore, the bounties of modern medicine, although amazing and incredible, can also cause complications.  It's all there in the fine print.  Everything has a risk, natural or with medical intervention.  I'd like to write a future post on the topic of "burning bridges" that you might find interesting. 

I think the easiest thing to do is just not to bring it up unless you think you have a receptive audience. Otherwise, just tell them that it's really something you'd like to try, a goal you have set for yourself, etc.  I think it's important not to act superior.  That rubs people the wrong way.  Personally, I don't think it's the superior choice.  I just think it was the right choice for me, and I'm glad that I was able to exercise it.

If it's something you really want to do, there's a very good chance you will be successful!  Good luck to you in your pregnancy and with your delivery! 

• imageIsleBella:

Anna, I think it's best not to get into any kind of debate with naysayers.  I think it's in poor taste for anyone to tell you what is rational and irrational on this topic.  If you want to go there, the women who scream that they're going to die or that "no one has felt pain like this before" (heard it) are being irrational :)  But I think it would be beyond unkind to tell them so!  It's your health and your choice, and is an admirable goal for a number of reasons.  If you want to research and list them, of course you can, but I suspect that most people who react this way are not interested in hearing them.

Furthermore, the bounties of modern medicine, although amazing and incredible, can also cause complications.  It's all there in the fine print.  Everything has a risk, natural or with medical intervention.  I'd like to write a future post on the topic of "burning bridges" that you might find interesting. 

I think the easiest thing to do is just not to bring it up unless you think you have a receptive audience. Otherwise, just tell them that it's really something you'd like to try, a goal you have set for yourself, etc.  I think it's important not to act superior.  That rubs people the wrong way.  Personally, I don't think it's the superior choice.  I just think it was the right choice for me, and I'm glad that I was able to exercise it.

If it's something you really want to do, there's a very good chance you will be successful!  Good luck to you in your pregnancy and with your delivery! 

This is the perfect answer to that question!! I'll add that if someone asks you "are you having an epidural" or something along those lines, ask them "why do you ask?" Then you can feel them out based on their answer. It works in every situation...not just pregnancy. I now get the "are you breastfeeding" question all the time. I'll ask them that question, and they'll either go on about how they breastfed for over a year OR they'll say that they formula fed their baby. I can feel them out based on their answer and then decide to start a conversation with them or brush over the subject. :o

• What a wonderful and inspiring story! You really have a knack for writing. I enjoyed reading this and love all of the pictures..especially of your cute tummy at the beginning - you did a great job taking care of yourself and your sweet little one through that pregnancy. Congratulations on being able to have the birth you prepared for...it's so rewarding!! :o) Your little one is beautiful.
  • Brenna, what sweet things to say.  Thanks so much!
  • CTA7CTA7 member

Congratulations on your beautiful baby! 

I had the same L&D experience with my daughter -- the nurse who was admitting me was totally patronizing, emphasizing to another nurse that this was my first baby, making me do additional paper work even though we'd pre-registered, and even having me try to give a urine sample (physically impossible).  When they finally got around to checking me I was 7.5 cm.  Great work, geniuses.  I get that they see a lot of drama, but you'd think they'd receive some training on attitude/listening skills.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    12/1/11 BFP, missed m/c diagnosed @ 9w2d
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I LOVED reading your birth story! Thanks so much for sharing :) 

I am determined to have a natural birth with my next baby, so reading stories like yours makes me feel like, "YES! I can do it!" 

Your son is absolutely adorable and I love his white blond hair! 

• Thanks for sharing your birth story. The random photos and video clips were amusing. :-). You really do have a knack for writing and I think I have the same "rational and clear-headed" approach to things, so I really appreciated reading a natural birth story that I could latch on to and identify with. It makes me feel like I can do it.
  • Congratulations :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"