Working Moms
Options

Facebook friends (coworkers)

There's a coworker that wants to be fb friends. He asked if I was on fb and I said yes. He tried to find me but couldn't. My profile is actually private and I actually block some coworkers. I still want to be on cordial terms with him since our Los are the same age. How do I tell him I don't want to be fb friends or should I make up an excuse. He keeps asking why he can't find me. 

Re: Facebook friends (coworkers)

• Options
    You could always accept him, but then use the privacy settings to keep your wall and photo albums private from just him.
    "If every word I said, could make you laugh - I'd talk forever".
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I would say that you have a personal practice of not becoming Facebook friends with co-workers or colleagues.  If that is true and you haven't friended anyone else you work with.

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't have coworkers as FB friends.  Just a rule I follow.  PP had a good idea about the settings.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageluvmagoldn:

I would say that you have a personal practice of not becoming Facebook friends with co-workers or colleagues.  If that is true and you haven't friended anyone else you work with.

This. I'd just say "I keep work and my private life seperate".
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    Do you use LinkedIn? You could say you don't share Facebook with work but you would be more than happy to connect on LinkedIn? I think that is a better venue for work connections anyway.
  • Options

imagewinminpin08:
    Do you use LinkedIn? You could say you don't share Facebook with work but you would be more than happy to connect on LinkedIn? I think that is a better venue for work connections anyway.

This.  I know multiple people that keep LinkedIn for all professional relationships and Facebook for friends and family.  I myself am a hodgepodge on both sites. 

• Options
    I'll 2nd the LinkedIn for work connections and FB for friends/family only.  I've had to explain that to a few people, including my direct reports who tried to friend me on FB.
    Daughter Emily - 10/28/03, and baby on the way makes 4! Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imageMs5586:
    I don't have coworkers as FB friends.  Just a rule I follow.  PP had a good idea about the settings.

same here.

for the co worker who really wanted me to be her friend, i just used the settings

i love you, my little mooncake mahal kita

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I also have a rule about not having co-workers as friends on fb. At one time I had a few co-workers and then one of them said something on my wall that wasn't very "nice". Turns out is pissed off someone enough to go to management and my co-worker was fired. Not worth it IMO.
    "Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body."
    Goodbye little angel(7/22/2011)....see you in heaven
    Goodbye my second angel (9/18/2011)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageMs5586:
    I don't have coworkers as FB friends.nbsp; Just a rule I follow.nbsp; PP had a good idea about the settings.

This. I have my profile listed under my first and middle name to avoid working aquaintances sending friend requests. This way I don't have to give any explanations and I can keep my personal and professional lives separate.
  • Options

I keep my facebook for friends and family only, no co-workers allowed.  If that's how you like it too, then I wouldn't make an exception for just one co-worker, when you have others blocked.  Think up a lame excuse, it's really not a huge deal to not be facebook friends with someone.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"