Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Soy or almond milk?

So Im making a 'weird' choice for my daughter in that she wont be drinking milk,  she has been having dairy products (cottage cheese, yorgart etc) but the idea of that much milk doesnt sit well with me. I gave up milk 10 years ago but still have dairy products as well.

Is anyone choosing soy or almond? reasons?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Single mama - beautiful baby - learning to live

Re: Soy or almond milk?

• Options
    Well, ds was allergic to milk when he was young so we did soy.  Almond milk has almost no protein and very little calories and less fat, all of which are important for growing minds and bodies. In a cup of almond milk there are 40 cal, 3.5g fat and 1g protein and unsweetened soy milk has 80 cal, 4g fat and 7g protein.  To me the almond milk seems like not much more than glorified white water.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    DS has a milk allergy so he drinks unsweetened organic soy milk.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC 1 yr, BFP m/c 6weeks IUI #1-8 BFN IVF #1-2 - BFN Laproscopic - clear IVF #3 - BFP!!!!! 12/23 Beta #1-122, 12/29 Beta #2 - 1230, 1/4 Beta #3 8000+
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have always done soy formula. So we will be doing soy milk. Not sure she is allergic, but she could not tolerate milk based formula. We don't drink cow milk so she's just going with the flow of her parents.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I will not give LO soy or almond milk. Growing brains need higher calorie health fats and protein so that rules out almond milk & soy milk IMO. Some people also have the "soy mimics estrogen" opinion too. I won't give rice or coconut milk either. I do not drink milk at all but that is by my choice. Around the world it is natural to BF to 3-4 yrs of age and consume cow or goat's milk. No giving animal milk is definitely something you should talk to your pedi about. Diets between 0-18yrs of age are very different than those in adulthood.
  • Options

imagepreggersin2011:
    I will not give LO soy or almond milk. Growing brains need higher calorie health fats and protein so that rules out almond milk & soy milk IMO. Some people also have the "soy mimics estrogen" opinion too. I won't give rice or coconut milk either. I do not drink milk at all but that is by my choice. Around the world it is natural to BF to 3-4 yrs of age and consume cow or goat's milk. No giving animal milk is definitely something you should talk to your pedi about. Diets between 0-18yrs of age are very different than those in adulthood.

My pedi is fine with whatever i give her as long as its vitiman d fortified

Humans are the only mammals that drink another mammals milk.. they kills it for me

And soy sounds like the winner :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Single mama - beautiful baby - learning to live
  • Options
    imagemamastich:

So Im making a 'weird' choice for my daughter in that she wont be drinking milk,  she has been having dairy products (cottage cheese, yorgart etc) but the idea of that much milk doesnt sit well with me. I gave up milk 10 years ago but still have dairy products as well.

I'm curious what you mean by "that much milk." 

I don't see anything wrong with giving kids soy milk instead of cow milk, and frankly the whole "drinking other mammals milk" thing weirds me out a little too - but I love cow milk so I'm over it.  I'm not judging or really even weighing in, I'm just curious what "that much milk" means.

We're switching DD to cow milk from formula now, and I guess maybe I don't know how much milk she's "supposed" to be drinking.  She still has two bottles/day of formula, and I'm not planning to replace those with milk, I just figured she'd have milk to drink with her meals once formula and bottles are gone.  Right now she has about 5 oz of cow milk (half a sippy cup - is that about 5 oz?) with her lunch or dinner every day.  Once we stop with formula and bottles, she'll probably have that much with each meal.  That doesn't seem like a lot to me.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagemamastich:

I agree with the no milk thing........ 

I think milk is absolutely disgusting and I don't drink it at all.  When my DD turns one, if she never has a glass of milk I won't even worry about it.  I certainly will not push it on her.  I feel like some parents (not all) think that if their kid drinks milk they are receiving all the nutritional contents needed for healthy brain and body development.  Fact is, the solids you put in your body is more important than anything, the only real liquid humans need is water.  Offer a well balanced diet and your baby is going to be just fine.   

• Options
    You don't need to do either. All the things needed (fat, protein etc) can be found in other sources. It is amazing how strong headed people are about giving cow's milk in this day and age. The dairy industry has brainwashed everyone. Cow's milk causes so many problems especially allergies in children. It is the perfect food for a baby cow, not us. It doesn't even make sense to drink the milk for another species babies. Plus the factory farming and the terrible conditions for the animals. It is so sad.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    imageerikaplustim:
    You don't need to do either. All the things needed fat, protein etc can be found in other sources. It is amazing how strong headed people are about giving cow's milk in this day and age. The dairy industry has brainwashed everyone. Cow's milk causes so many problems especially allergies in children. It is the perfect food for a baby cow, not us. It doesn't even make sense to drink the milk for another species babies. Plus the factory farming and the terrible conditions for the animals. It is so sad.

THIS!

FYI
    https://kellymom.com/nutrition/milk/milksupplements/

https://kellymom.com/nutrition/startingsolids/toddlerfoods/
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"