Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Stroller recommendations for a 4 and 2 year olds, plus a newborn?

I'm pregnant, due at the beginning of December.  I'm really struggling with which stroller would be best.  I've had quite a few stroller, just sold our Phil and Teds because no one ever wanted to sit in the back, and right now we're using a sit and stand, but I hate it because it's so long, heavy, and cumbersome to steer.  When the new baby comes, my kids will be (almost) 4 and (almost) 2.  I've come to 2 conclusions...either a City Mini for the 2 yr old, with a buggy board on back for the 4 yr old, and then use the ergo for the baby.  OR  a City Mini double for the 2 yr old and newborn in the car seat, with a buggy board on back for the 4 yr old. 

I'm scared that if I only get the single stroller that I will want use the car seat instead of carrying the new baby, and will be stuck with a 2 and 4 yr old with only 1 buggy board.  Any recommendations or combinations that have worked for 3 kids around these ages?

Re: Stroller recommendations for a 4 and 2 year olds, plus a newborn?

• Options
    I can't imagine a 4 year old needing to be in a stroller that often (if ever). If you're doing some significant walking and he needs a break, I think you'd be fine to put baby in the ergo and let him sit in the stroller for a little bit. I think the single should be just fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I don't see the need for a 4yr old to ride in a stroller, but I definitely think you need a double with a newborn and a 2yr old.  When my kids were newborns I loved being able to take the carseat straight into the stroller.  My DD just turned 2 and she very often still rides sitting in the stroller.  We have not tried out the sit-and-stand yet.  I would definitely get the double.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I agree with the pp's about the 4 year old not needing the stroller much, if at all.  I have a City Mini Double and I LOVE IT!  It's very light weight and easy to maneuver.  I have to admit though, I am currently trying to get my 3 year old to walk more now, especially because I think he's starting to get a bit heavy (35 lbs) for me to push him along with his brother.  

If you go this route I strongly advise not to bother with the car seat adaptor.  It is SO big and cumbersome and I think I used it for maybe a week before I got so annoyed and pissed off with it that I just put the baby in the stroller itself.  I do wish though that I would have gotten the back board insert.

But, yeah, I have been using it since my littlest was born and my older son was a bit over two at the time and it's been great for us. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks for all the feedback. I think everyone is right that the 4 yr old really won't be using the stroller, if at all, and that the 2 yr old will probably need it.  That being said, have you had any issues with pushing the city mini double over "terrain" such as grass, occasional gravel, etc.  In looking at Baby Jogger's models, they just came out with a GT model with more all-terrain tires, but at a much steeper price.  Have you ever wished for tires like that in the years you've been using yours?  Thinking I'll go with regular city mini double and stop double guessing every decision!
  • Options

We have the GT and a city select. 

The GT is great and compared with the regular city mini you can see the difference. It has larger "all-tertian" wheels, hand break, adjustable handle bars, parent console included (which is awesome and has space for everything you need). The regular city mini starts to look more like an indoor stroller where the GT is more outdoor or comparable with the BOB. It is heavy and our double GT is a good 45 pounds. 

We also have the city select which was great for newborn + toddler. I could put the car seat in and the toddler in a seat, use it as a single, double, or got the glider board and use it as single + glider board. With two toddlers it is okay...I  prefer the GT for longer trips. The back kid can kick the front seat, pull hair if they wanted, and getting two toddlers to take a nap (Disneyland) in this stroller was horrible.

I have had the City select used as a double with a 4 year old nephew ridding on the glider board in the back. It worked but wouldn't say we could do all day like that.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I would get a Joovy triple stroller like this:

I don't think a 4 year old needs to ride in a stroller much, though. 

m/c 2013
  • Options
    I've heard bad reviews on the buggy boards. We have a citymini for our almost 3 and almost 2 year old. I use it a lot, although the almost 3 year old only gets in when she's tired, and sometimes I push it around empty. LO#3 is due in Jan and I plan on having her and DS in the stroller mostly, when DD needs a ride I'll wear LO#3 or DS can walk. I don't know for sure if this will work, but that's our plan. I really like the citymini as far as steering and use, the storage is terrible, but I definitely like the side by side vs. front to back (we used to have a chicco cortina double, it was like driving a bus!) GL!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagemscdyson:
    Thanks for all the feedback. I think everyone is right that the 4 yr old really won't be using the stroller, if at all, and that the 2 yr old will probably need it.  That being said, have you had any issues with pushing the city mini double over "terrain" such as grass, occasional gravel, etc.  In looking at Baby Jogger's models, they just came out with a GT model with more all-terrain tires, but at a much steeper price.  Have you ever wished for tires like that in the years you've been using yours?  Thinking I'll go with regular city mini double and stop double guessing every decision!

Sorry, missed this part in my last post.

We have replaced the front wheels twice. Manufacturer is good about it though, it's a known problem (at least in my 2011 CityMini Double) and easily fixed - the wheels would lock on their own on the straight position making it difficult to steer. As far as terrain, we've had no problem... I've even taken the stroller onto the beach, but without weight of the kids inside while pushing.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"