Texas Babies

Married & wanting to start a fam sooo badly...

but we are uninsured. We know we are ready to start a family, but I work a full time job with no benefits and he works a part time job with obviously no benefits & goes to school full time.

He makes more money then I, and with our income, I know we make too much for Medicaid but not enough to pay for everything on our own. When I tried looking into private insurance, I was told there is nothing that covers maternity in the state of Texas!! I am trying to do research for any assistance, but I was hoping anyone here would know of any programs or OBGYNs in SA that are known to help couples in our situation? 

I am currently trying to find another job with benefits, but of you live here, you know how hard that can be sometimes :( And after being together for 9 years, I really dont want to be told to "wait until 2014 for coverage". We are ready, but we don't want to bury ourselves more in debt on top of our student loans!! Any advice would help.

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Married & wanting to start a fam sooo badly...

• I did look into CHIP, but we are "above the poverty level". We can afford to purchase health insurance, but it will not cover maternity and that's the thing we are worried about. My husband will graduate in 2 years and will have better benefits then what we can afford to purchase on our own, but for the fact that we have been discussing a baby for the past year, we don't want to wait another 2 years to start trying!

Whats really aggravating is that we both work, and waited till we were married before we even considered seriously having a baby. We are doing eveything the best we can, and I feel we are being punished for it! If we were to not be married and I quit my job, then of course I would qualify, but then we wouldn't be able to afford our house we worked so hard for!

Maybe we should consider having private insurance for after and pay for the maternity out of pocket? We can afford to take care of the baby, we are just worried ab the doctors and hospital bills during the 9 months! God forbid if anything were to happen during that time, but we want to feel "safe". Am I worrying too much?
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • This may not be an option you're comfortable with but you could look into midwife care and either a birth center or home birth. The cost of those kind of births are much lower than hospital births and for low risk pregnancies they have been shown to be as safe as a hospital birth. It might be something to look into.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagekami1977:
    This may not be an option you're comfortable with but you could look into midwife care and either a birth center or home birth. The cost of those kind of births are much lower than hospital births and for low risk pregnancies they have been shown to be as safe as a hospital birth. It might be something to look into.

I was thinking the same thing. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Look into getting insurance from where he goes to school. A lot of universities offer insurance to their students and their families. I know that Bexar County also offers insurance to residents. Also, the midwife I'm going to has a very affordable payment plan for prenatal care and delivery (as do many others in the area). I'm going to San Antonio Birth Center.
  • Thank you everyone, we did find insurance through his school, but the cost was rediciloious! After getting prices from offices around town, we found it would a little cheaper to pay out of pocket and to use some of our savings if an emergency occurs. We did a lot of calculating, and with a little budgeting, we know we can do it! I just pray for the best and I just hate that there's other couples in the same situation who might not be as fortunate :/
    I will also look into midwives to see if it may be something I would go for, that would help save a nice chunck of money! ha
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I don't know if it will change anything for you, but when you're pregnant they count the baby as a family member when looking at the poverty line. So even if you're above the line for a family of two, maybe you'll be below it for a family of three.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In the state of Texas to have maternity on your insurance you have to be on a group plan. It does suck. My husband and I had the same problem when he changed jobs. Luckly I was able to get on my insurance plan through my work.

Good luck, I hope you find  something that works for you and your situation.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"