Nurseries and Baby Gear

Can you put bouncers/infant seats on a counter?

Re: Can you put bouncers/infant seats on a counter?

• NO! 

eta: Absolutely not! Bouncers,Bumbos, Swings, all that stuff is only safe to use on the floor.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I thought so, But it does not say anywhere in the manual so I thought there was a chance. Can anything go on a table?
  • Loading the player...
  • No.  Well really, baby should not be on a counter, table etc.  So what baby is in doesn't really make a difference.
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • I don't know why you'd want to put a baby on an elevated surface. It should be common sense, but this is the reason for the Bumbo recall. And what they put warnings on car seats too, not to put them on elevated surfaces like beds, counters and shopping carts. 
  • This just proves that "there are no stupid questions" needs to be revised.

Why do you have such a burning desire to put your baby on a table???

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageAimeeL85:
    No.  Well really, baby should not be on a counter, table etc.  So what baby is in doesn't really make a difference.

This! 

• You know what I find funny about this question is that everyone?s answer is no, said in a way that alludes that the posters would never think of doing that, yet almost every person I know IRL with a bouncer has put them on counters or tables especially when their LOs started solids and they wanted to feed them.  I think there is something about the incline on them that makes parents feel safe about them being elevated I don?t know.  BTW I am referring to bouncers not bumbos and I am not saying it is safe just that they are commonly put on tables and counters.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • You're definitely not supposed to do that. It's a big NO NO. I won't lie though, I put the car seat on the counter sometimes when I would get home with DS, but I won't with DD. DS can reach the counter now and I could see him reaching up and accidentally pulling her down.

• imagesnicksnack:

You know what I find funny about this question is that everyone?s answer is no, said in a way that alludes that the posters would never think of doing that, yet almost every person I know IRL with a bouncer has put them on counters or tables especially when their LOs started solids and they wanted to feed them.  I think there is something about the incline on them that makes parents feel safe about them being elevated I don?t know.  BTW I am referring to bouncers not bumbos and I am not saying it is safe just that they are commonly put on tables and counters.   

I never put my bouncer on a table or any other elevated surface.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I really don't think this is a stupid question at all, especially after several responses with people saying that they do/have put various seats/bouncers on tables.

That being said, no, you aren't supposed to. But if I'm right there would I see myself putting a bouncer seat on the dining room table when my baby is an infant? Yes. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagesnicksnack:

You know what I find funny about this question is that everyone?s answer is no, said in a way that alludes that the posters would never think of doing that, yet almost every person I know IRL with a bouncer has put them on counters or tables especially when their LOs started solids and they wanted to feed them.  I think there is something about the incline on them that makes parents feel safe about them being elevated I don?t know.  BTW I am referring to bouncers not bumbos and I am not saying it is safe just that they are commonly put on tables and counters.   

That is pretty much why I was asking. People keep telling me I need something like a bouncer to put on the counter or table while I was cooking. I always thought you could not do that. But I have no kids and they do. I thought they knew something I didn?t. So I thought I would clarify. At least I asked first. Yea the Bumbo seat says so right on there, but others do not.
  • imageJessii266:
    imagesnicksnack:

That is pretty much why I was asking. People keep telling me I need something like a bouncer to put on the counter or table while I was cooking. I always thought you could not do that. But I have no kids and they do. I thought they knew something I didn?t. So I thought I would clarify. At least I asked first. Yea the Bumbo seat says so right on there, but others do not.

Put the bouncer on the kitchen floor when you're cooking, not the table
    Munchkin born 11/22/11
    Pipsqueak born 6/9/14

• imageJessii266:
    I thought so, But it does not say anywhere in the manual so I thought there was a chance. Can anything go on a table?
     It isn't in the manual because it is common sense....

Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Thanks for all the input.
  • imageLittleApple:

imageJessii266:
    I thought so, But it does not say anywhere in the manual so I thought there was a chance. Can anything go on a table?

So does that mean it is not common sence to know that you should not use a bouncer as a car seat? Because that is in the manual.
  • What I do for LO when I'm in the kitchen is strap her in to the highchair. Our chair reclines and has a 5 point harness, so it holds her upright even though she can not sit up on her own. She can hang out in the corner, elevated to grown up level, and it's convenient for her and I. Oh, and the highchair has an infant head support.
    For my little man...I only knew you in my heart. D&C 3/1/11 EDD 9/8/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagesnicksnack:

I would never but a bouncer, bumbo, etc on an elevated surface. I'm a FTM but would never consider it. 

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• imageJessii266:
    imageLittleApple:

imageJessii266:

So does that mean it is not common sence to know that you should not use a bouncer as a car seat? Because that is in the manual.

Here's the thing. It's been in manuals here. My very first bouncer I had 15 years ago said right in the instruction not to place the device on an elevated surface. Then they went to warning tags. I am going to assume and say it must not be the same south of the border.

I haven't ever stuck them up on anything, they're fine on the floor. However, pp is right, it may not be common sense. At least you're asking, OP, most people ignore the manual, the warning stickers, and STM+ moms. It's not sanctimonious when it's a safety issue, it's physics. Spend a day sharing a room with someone else's kid in a neuro ward that sustained a head injury from a fall and trust me, you'll change your mind.

• imagesnicksnack:

My DS was never set on a table or couch in his car seat or bouncer. Nor have I ever even considered putting his car seat in the top of a shopping cart. Not everyone would think of putting LO in danger.. 

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageJessii266:
    imagesnicksnack:

You do not want your baby in the kitchen while you are cooking. You never know when a pot of water will boil over, etc. the bouncer on the floor within eye view but not close to you is a better choice. 

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagedmclark498:
    imageJessii266:
    imagesnicksnack:

You do not want your baby in the kitchen while you are cooking. You never know when a pot of water will boil over, etc. the bouncer on the floor within eye view but not close to you is a better choice. 

Huh? That's assuming that all kitchens are small. With all due respect, that is a ridiculous blanket statement. My children are ALWAYS in the kitchen when I am cooking. Over the years I have had their Mamaroo, Play Yard, Nap nanny and a variety of other things in there with me. If any of those things happened, my kids are not nearly close enough for it to be a danger to them. As for the kids on elevated surfaces...common sense. Never unattended. Use your own judgement.

• imagefryrat:
    What I do for LO when I'm in the kitchen is strap her in to the highchair. Our chair reclines and has a 5 point harness, so it holds her upright even though she can not sit up on her own. She can hang out in the corner, elevated to grown up level, and it's convenient for her and I. Oh, and the highchair has an infant head support.

This is exactly what we did with DD and will do with LO#2.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"