Special Needs

Longvida curcumin? (turmeric supplement)

O.K. So I am back on a supplement/nutrition research kick;)

I was cruising around the interwebs last night looking for oral motor stuff and somehow found this.....

https://dsdaytoday.blogspot.com/2011/03/longvida-curcumin.html

It is a blog by a mommy with a son who has Ds and she has done ton of research on the different supplements available that some children with Ds take. Since I am not a mom with a child with Ds I am wondering if using these supplements is more of the fringe/alternative side or if 'most' children with Ds take them?

I am also curious if anyone else has used supplements and what if any impact you have seen?

Nate takes fish oil once per day and Vit E every other day. I decided to put him on those after reading Kelly Dorfman's book What's Eating Your Child. Supposedly, they are two parts of her Apraxia recipe. 

Sorry, can't,ale it clicky 

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

Re: Longvida curcumin? (turmeric supplement)

• landon takes Tumeric daily at the request of his neuro at KKI. His homeopath told us what kind to buy and the dosage. We buy the curcumin plus from true botanica (can only buy online) we give him two capsules per day. I just sprinkle it in his food. Keely Dorfman has him on xymogen phosphaline, l carnatine, b complex, nootropil (only sold in europe), zinc and vitamin D (for an immune boost since we do not vaccinate) and a speak supplement. His neuro also has him on a compounded RX of vit e, vit c and coq10. We just bought the green pastures fermented cod liver oil to replace his Nordic naturals DHA. We just saw Landon's pediatrician this morning and he is thrilled with Landon's progress. He never thought Landon would do so well, not only will his physical and cognitive gains but also with the fact that he is so healthy and never sick. The best decision I ever made was to look outside of the box when it came to Landon and embrace alternative supplements and therapies.
  • We see Lauren's pediatrician in 2 weeks and I'm going to ask about supplements. A ton of Ds moms swear by them. Nutrivene D seems to be popular, I still need to do some research and find out what the pedi thinks.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imagegoldenleaves:
    We see Lauren's pediatrician in 2 weeks and I'm going to ask about supplements. A ton of Ds moms swear by them. Nutrivene D seems to be popular, I still need to do some research and find out what the pedi thinks.

I can't fugure out if it was formulated specifically for children with Ds or if it is just that they are a group that anecdotally it has shown to help. Doesn't look like there is a lot of scientifice research to back it up.....

ETA: did a bit more research on the Nutrivene D is looks like it was formulated for kids with Ds and the formula is based on the specific vitamins and minerals deficits that an extra copy of Chromosome #21 creates....

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• imagelesleytaylor:
    landon takes Tumeric daily at the request of his neuro at KKI. His homeopath told us what kind to buy and the dosage. We buy the curcumin plus from true botanica (can only buy online) we give him two capsules per day. I just sprinkle it in his food. Keely Dorfman has him on xymogen phosphaline, l carnatine, b complex, nootropil (only sold in europe), zinc and vitamin D (for an immune boost since we do not vaccinate) and a speak supplement. His neuro also has him on a compounded RX of vit e, vit c and coq10. We just bought the green pastures fermented cod liver oil to replace his Nordic naturals DHA. We just saw Landon's pediatrician this morning and he is thrilled with Landon's progress. He never thought Landon would do so well, not only will his physical and cognitive gains but also with the fact that he is so healthy and never sick. The best decision I ever made was to look outside of the box when it came to Landon and embrace alternative supplements and therapies.

LT, Have you done bloodwork on Landon prior to starting the supplements? Have you done follow-up blood draws after starting them too? I am anxious about starting Nate on something and somehow giving him levels of supplements that either are too toxic for him or have no measureable affect...

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• We did no bloodwork. He's been on the tumeric for over a year
  • i have been wanting to try supplements really bad but haven't really found anyone to support it or guide us.  like you said, i'm hesitant to do it right out of the gate without having an idea of what to do.  we went to a holistic nutritionist but it turned out to be unhelpful and not informative.  in the past i had contacted the homeopath that lesleytaylor sees and was surprised that he was not interested in seeing us (although very nice).  we do go to the feeding clinic at kki next month and maybe i will bring it up to them.
  • Adg1119...... You should contact Kelly Dorfman. In regards the the homeopathic MD that you contacted it is next to impossible to get an appointment with him if you are not already a patient. I know people who have begged to get in as a patient and just couldn't take on any more. Kelly Dorfman is amazing. I have found that traditional doctors know nothing about supplements
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"