Baby Names
Options

Penelope? Poppy?

Our DD is Piper.  I usually am not a fan of names that are too matchy matchy or match with the first letter.  But I am stuck on Poppy and on Penelope.  What do you think?

DH and I both are teachers so we have lots of names we have to cross off lists --due to negative associations.  

I also like Reese....

Thoughts on my names or suggestions? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Penelope? Poppy?

• Options
    I like Poppy. It is kinda fun and different without being odd.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#1 10 wk missed mc      

BFP#2 DS born at 40+2 on 8/14/12  BFP#3 DD Born at 39+3 on 5/13/14

• Options
    I love Penelope. I ran it by my SO and he looked at me like I was nuts so its not on our list but I love the sib set Piper and Penelope. I don't think its too matchy. I like Poppy as well but I do feel it is a lot closer to being matchy with Piper.
    BabyFruit Ticker image image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    LOVE the name Penelope!  It's on our list as well! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I tolerate (and perhaps even like) more matchy names than it seems some of the board does. It could be because my brother and I are Kami (kaymee) and Kirbi.

Anyway, I definitely don't think Penelope or Poppy are too much. I think they both go cute with Piper. I give the edge to Penelope because it seems like it will age better.

I, too, like Reese.

BFP #1 6/3/10 | EDD 2/5/11 | Noelle born 1/28/11
    BFP #2 12/20/11 | EDD 8/24/12 | Natural M/C 12/22/11
    BFP #3 5/13/12 (Mother's Day!) | EDD 1/23/13 | Natural M/C 6/9/12 (blighted ovum discovered 6/7/12 at 7w1d)
    "And to think when their little eyes opened, the first thing they saw was the face of Jesus."
    My Ovulation Chart | My Baby Name List
  • Options
    I love the penelope.  It was on our list, but we knew 2 Penny's and didnt want people calling her penny, we were going to go with nelly for a nn.  I like poppy too, but I like to stay away from names that are objects (flowers etc...) so I vote penelope!
    Aug 15 April Siggy challenge: Baby Shower fails:

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options

These are all adorable names, but I just can't see some of them together as a sibset without being a little over the top matchy-matchy, especially if that's not what you're into. Piper and Poppy sound ridiculous together, unless you want a super cutesy matching set of names. Piper and Penelope are still a little matchy, but much better. 

I think Piper and Reese are the best set by far.  They have the same feel to them w/o being matchy-matchy.

"A new baby is like the beginning of all things--wonder, hope, a dream of possibilities."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I prefer Penelope but Poppy is cute too, just a little young. I don't think you need to worry about them being "matchy" they're cute names!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
    image Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    blog
    Diagnosed hypothyroidism.
  • Options

Love Penelope but couldn't get MH on board with it.

I think Piper and Poppy are a little too close.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

Poppy is cute, but I don't like how it sounds with Piper. Both names having the double-P sound is just way too much  for me (although I like both names well enough on their own). It's a bit of a tongue twister to say the two names together. Try saying them together quickly- I start to stumble after twice and call them both Pippi, haha. Penelope is better, but the double-P is still very matchy-matchy to me.

I like how Reese and Piper sound together. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    I agree with others that Penelope will age better.
    siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894 photo siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894-1_zpscf1469c3.jpg
  • Options

I love both Penelope and Poppy (this is DD2's middle name) but think they are too matchy with Piper. Sorry. :(

Reese is okay. I prefer it as a boy name (Rhys), but Piper and Reese is kind of cute.

Mary Jane {12} Kaden {10} Eliza {4} Due Sept. '14

CafeMom Tickers

Considering . . . Agatha, Beatrix, Clara, Daphne, Isadora, Josephine, Matilda, Philippa, Tabitha, Winifred . . .
  • Options

I was under the impression that Poppy was a nickname for Penelope. So you could name her Penelope and call her Poppy as a nn. Best of both worlds!

I don't mind sibsets that start with the same letter. It's a bit of a tradition in my fam. My sister's name starts with the same letter as mine. My mom and her sister start with the same letter. And my Grandma and her sister.  

Shana
    Baby girl born July 6th 2012 at 40w2d
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Love Penelope! It is on our final list of girl names. The NN we would go with is Penny, but I love Poppy as well. GL!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Carter 5.25.10   Charlotte 2.6.12   Baby#3 5.17.15
  • Options
    I Love Reese, don't care for Penelope or Poppy
  • Options
    I actually love Reese with Piper.  I think Poppy is a little too matchy with all the Ps.  Penelope doesn't seem as matchy to me.
    Nothing is more discouraging than unappreciated sarcasm. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • Options

Isn't Poppy a nickname for Penelope? I like both of these names a lot.

However, I think Reese "goes with" Piper a bit better since they have the same feel.

Sorry, I'm no help :)

• Options

I like Poppy, but everytime I hear it I think of a latino rap song where they are calling their man "papi", but I'm probably the only one so dont let that bother you.

I love Penelope! I think it would be so cute to nn her Opie! Other nn options: Nelly or by her initials PJ for example.

Penelope and Piper sound fine together to me!

My furchildren, Dorothy and Johnny :)
  • Options

Thanks guys.  I did seem to think I had read where Poppy could be a NN for Penelope but talking to my friends they all looked at me really weird when I said that.  

I also am not too fond of the NN Penny.  

• Options
    Before we knew if we were having a boy or girl, we called the baby Poppy as she was the size of a poppyseed when we found out we were pregnant. We also called her Poppy through the whole pregnancy as we didn't tell anyone her actual name until she was born. My DH still calls her his little poppyseed as a nn. As for an actual name...IMHO, these babies grow up and I can't see a 50 year old with the name Poppy. Flame away!  Penelope is nice and like a PP said, you can use Poppy as a nickname.
  • Options
    I love the name Penelope with the nickname Poppy, but it's too matchy with Piper.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Love Penelope, not a fan of Poppy at all. It sounds so childish and trendy/hipster to me. Sorry :/

I think either name is too matchy with Piper, IMHO.

If you and H are in love with these names though, I'd go with Penelope.

Reese is pretty too and sounds nice with Piper (I'd go with this combo).

• Options
    I actually love the name Poppy,,, It's different but not crazy, and it doesn't have to be made unique by some silly spelling. :) But really both Penelope and Poppy are nice.
  • Options
    I love Piper!  I think Penelope Reese would be super cute as well as something she could grow into adult-hood with.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"