Postpartum Depression

Treating PPD without medication

I have not spoken with a doctor yet but before pregnancy I had a history of depression an anxiety but had managed it. I do not like being on antidepressants, the do not seem to agree with me and I'd rather not rely on a pill.  (Not judging anyone on medication) 

Anyway I have been feeling really low lately. I do not want to go out, I am not enjoying my daughter like I should, and have nothing but negative thought about myself and my capabilities as a parent. I also have a history of ED and that is coming back along with the self loathing and super negative self image.

Is there anyway to deal with ppd without medication? Is anyone managing theirs without it or is it hopeless? Can you breastfeed on medication? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Treating PPD without medication

• I dealt with depression and anxiety all through my adult life, but I did use medication to control it and am now for PPD... The only thing I can think of is seeking therapy? For me, whenever I was depressed, talking to a counselor really helped. Even after my first visit before the psychiatrist found the "right" meds/combination for this PPD I felt better. It was so nice to just express my feelings to someone who could understand and help me with words. She really put everything into perspective. I replayed my therapy session in my head for days. I know some insurances/companies have "Employee Assistance Programs" that offer free visits. Mine offers 5 free visits.

Also, what about getting out by just taking walks? I know it's hard even to do that when you are depressed. I was home for 12 weeks and I took L on 2 stroller walks. I know getting out would have helped her and me.

I hope you feel better soon!

Lillian April 17, 2012
  • I have been doing it without pills. So far I blog about it, I know this seems small but it has honestly given my life back. I feel so much better just sharing with people. I also have very regular therapy type sessions with my Mom and Husband. My Mom does a lot of counseling type work and is amazing. 

I also just got stopped by a woman in my town who reads my blog and she said her daughter had severe PPD and that she didn't want pills either. BUT she started taking Krill Pills. They are a type of Omega and apparently it has worked wonders! 

• Loading the player...
  • mkwtmkwt member
    I don't have any advice, but I am right with you.  I have struggled with depression all my life, and I absoluetely do not want to take medicine, I have in the past and it makes me feel crazy, and I have tried all different types.  I go to my regular doctor next week, I can't seem to keep weight on, I am at 102 pounds right now and I look and feel awful.  I don't know if my stress/depression is causing the drastic weight loss or if it something else.  I plan to talk to the doctor about what I am going thru and see if he can give me some tips and not try to force any medicine on me.  Good Luck to you.
  • It is possible, not as easy but possible.

I had PPD with both my kids and had anteparturm depression with my second pregnancy.  I wasn't diagnosed until 6 months post partum with my first.

You need to do four things;

1. Speak to your doctor about it and if they agree then you need to make sure you clearly state that you don't want to use medication.  Get a referral or find a good counsellor / therapist and make sure that you go and be honest with them.

2.  Eat right.  You need to make sure that you eat healthy and often.  For me, I needed to cut out wheat based items as I found that it made my mood swings worse.  A lot of vegetable, protein and healthy fats.

3.  Get enough exercise.  Go for a walk, run up and down the stairs in your house, do jumping jacks.  It helps.

4. Talk to your DH / family / friends, let them know what you are going through and what you need from them.

Hang in there.

• I went the medication route, but found a few other things worked. I journaled. Something about getting all the negative thoughts out helped. I also took lots of walks. The sunshine and wind and flowers and all the greatness of the outdoors helped. Talk with other moms. PPD is very common. It made me feel better that people I knew IRL had been through it.

That being said. You can breastfeed on medication. I took zoloft and breastfed my kid. My doctor said there were a few different medications, but that one worked for me. GL

• I don't want to take medicine either. I use started fluoxitine and had a really bad reaction that included paranoia, sleeplessness, loss of appetite, obsessive thoughts, I couldn't stop either snapping my fingers, hitting my arm in the same place until it bruised and pacing. It eventually ended in a panic attack in which I thought I was dying. I don't ever want to chance that again. I am going to see a therapist and I am going to try to get as much exercise as I can and just take care of myself. It can be so scary to have a bad reaction to a medication and then have to wait for it to leave your system.
    Mom to Emma, Noah, Isaac, Asa, Asher, Jonah and expecting baby Alice 7/16

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"