Dads & Dads-to-be

How important are birth classes?

Good news:  My wife and I hit the 3rd Tri today with our first (it's a boy) with insane excitement.  

Bad news: Things are super tight financially for us at the moment as I try to wrap up school.  Great timing I know, but it is what it is.  

If we aren't able to afford birth classes or aren't able to secure a spot in a class (if some how find extra cash) before our boy comes, how screwed are we...or am I, going to be preparedness wise?

Thanks for reading!

Re: How important are birth classes?

• My wife had a planned c-section, so birth classes aren't something I had to worry about.  However, look at it this way, there are millions of births every year and only a small percentage ever went to birth class.  It would likely be a bonus and give you a better idea of what to expect and perhaps what to do, but if you don't happen to be able to go, the doctors and nurses there the day of will lead you through it from everything I've seen.
  • Just dropping in to give my two cents-- I thought they were pretty useless. we left halfway through to grab lunch and spend the last weekend alone (went a week before due date). I went without meds and my husband so much as watch a video on youtube. Just listen to your nurses in labor & delivery. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • We went to birth classes, but my wife ended  up having a C-Section so a lot of the class didn't apply. However we did learn several things. They covered a lot of different birth scenarios and did a tour etc.   Also one of the classes was about newborn care which I think was helpful because we were first time parents. Our hospital also offered a free tour if you didn't take the birth class. If your hospital offers that I would recommend it. It's nice when you have to go to the hospital at 3 am you know where to go in the hospital, you know the procedures, and you have seen the maternity rooms. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Check out your local library for videos or books just to give you some idea of what to expect. For my DH he hasn't really been around babies or pregnancy at all so the class was more for him to know what to expect. It really left him at ease. If we hadn't of been able to afford I know our library has a ton of books and dvd's that could do the same. Sometimes the City parks and recs will host classes at little to no cost as well. 
  • Thanks for the supporting comments.  They have been much appreciated.  
  • My wife and I didn't go because she thought it would be a waste of time,

.  She was right.  The L&D nurses coach you through everything.  They do it a few times a day and will tell you everything you need to know.  Save your $$$ for things you don't yet know you need. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker image image image
  • One class I would say may be worth the money is "Daddy Boot Camp".  If offered in your area, it is a class where a dad who has been trained in the course leads it and a recent class attendee (or two) come in with their infant and you can go through the basics of what you can expect, hear real life stories from dads who just a few months ago were in the same boat as you and they give you a book, that I referenced at least a couple times in the first few months.  Wasn't super expensive and found some of the information to be pretty handy.
  • My husband, who is already a father of 3 found the classes very helpful. We also did a c-section & epidural information class... but all of our classes were free from the hospital we're delivering at.

Anniversary
  • Dropping in...

We went to the class (it was a Saturday...our insurance payed for it, you may want to look into that).  It was okay, but I know that Baby Center has an online video series that would have given us the same information.

My OB said that if we couldn't make it to a class, we should at least get a tour of the birth center at the hospital.  (It was included as part of the class, and it was the most helpful part) Between some online videos and a tour of your hospital, you should be set.

imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Agreed, you should tour the hospital if nothing else.  The tour should be free, but you'll likely need to make an appointment to do so.  It will help you with all of the pre-delivery logistics, such as where to go, where to check in, what the rooms will look like and every thing.  We found it to be helpful because they more or less went through the day of such as you'll check in here, you'll be in here if you are delivering naturally, if you need a surgery you'll be in here with the surgical room right attached.  They'll show you where relatives will be staged so you know where to go get them once its time. 
  • I asked my mom the something, she had 4 kids without any classes. The doctors and nurses will help coach, plus a womans body usually has a pretty good idea of what's going on. There are a lot of free resources in libraries and online to help you get the basic idea of what's going on and what to expect. Some women who divide to go a more natural delivery find classes useful in handling the labor pains without the mess but again there are a lot of resources available for this too. 

• The classes are helpful, but certainly not required.  I would warn to not necessarily depend on being coached all that well once L&D begin.  Of course there could be time for that kind of attention, but there are other times where a unit is so busy that nurses will float around the unit from patient to patient.  Just be prepared for that possibility.  The classes were great for learning what to do to relax and stay comfortable during labor, which can be long, and there is not much the nurses will do with the patient at that point, besides monitoring vitals and dilation.

I would take the tour for sure, just so you guys know where to park, where the unit is, any security issues/checkpoints, and visitor policy.  Also, pre-registration was introduced to us at our birth classes, so now all we have to do is walk right to the unit and not worry about registering while my wife is in labor.  I would make sure you find out about that!

• I have three already and we never did any kind of classes just the quick tour of the hospital before anything happened. Never saw the reason for them. Went the nurse say push you push when she says breath you breath.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageJenniferMatos:
    Check out your local library for videos or books just to give you some idea of what to expect. For my DH he hasn't really been around babies or pregnancy at all so the class was more for him to know what to expect. It really left him at ease. If we hadn't of been able to afford I know our library has a ton of books and dvd's that could do the same. Sometimes the City parks and recs will host classes at little to no cost as well. 

Do this...we were having a hard time finding a class and several hospitals suggested going to the library...some hospitals will also let you check out books and DVDs for free too!

• Depending on what you want experience-wise depends on if classes would be good. Does your wife want a natural birth? If so, then at least read a few books and educate yourself on alternatives to the epidural. This is a very personal decision, but we opted out of the hospital class because it would have been absolutely worthless. Instead we took Bradley classes, but those tend to be pricey. I recommend the books though, they have great information on how you can help her during birth.
  • The Birth Partner is a great book and probably available at your local library.  It talks about birth from your perspective and gives ideas for how you can assist your wife.  Also talk with your wife about what she would like to happen...drugs/no drugs etc.  Your biggest role will be to protect the space around her.  And remember that labor isn't something that can be practiced.  It feels different for every woman, and every man reacts differently.  Just help her in any way she needs, and you'll do great!
    www.minegoes2-11.blogspot.com

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"