Military Families

XP: Mommas with Tricare/Champus insurance..

So I have Tricare standard due to my mom being in the navy. I am not putting my son through this insurance, he will be on my work insurance.

From what I understood usually newborns are covered by their parents/mothers insurance for the first 30 days, but I could be wrong. I am curious if anyone with past experience knows if the newborn would be covered with Tricare until he is on my insurance or what.. and does it cover circumcision or no?

Thanks for any information you have. I will call, I just hate dealing with insurance companies and wanted to see if anyone had any experience first. I also looked on the website but wasn't quite sure how to decipher it.

Liam Dean | 09.11.12 | 6lbs 13oz

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: XP: Mommas with Tricare/Champus insurance..

• Your baby will not be eligible to be enrolled in Tricare anyway. The baby is not your mom's dependent, it is yours. Your work insurance will be his primary insurance and Tricare will be his secondary for the first 30 days. 

14 years ago, when my nephew got circ'ed it was not covered since it was cosmetic but I would call Tricare and ask. I would also ask your work insurance.  

30 Rock Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Is the father of your baby in the military?  If so, then yes, the baby will be covered.  If not, your baby does not qualify for Tricare.  

Also, circumcision was covered for my son.   We have Standard.  I only paid a small hospital fee because his was done later because of medical issues. 

I'd also like to add that my experiences with Tricare have not been any different than experiences with several other insurances I've had in the past.  If you are unhappy with Tricare and did not speak up and voice your concerns to them to get them to fix it, you probably won't be happy with most other insurances.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • First of all, YOU ARE NOT ELLIGIBLE FOR TRICARE SINCE YOU HAVE THE ABILITY TO RECIEVE EMPLOYEE SPONSORED HEALTH CARE, unless you are under 21.

If you have been using TRICARE for your coverage (even as secondary) while you have had the opportunity to enroll in your employer's healthcare, TRCARE will come after your mother for reimbursement. 

And no, I am not fear mongering. I have personally had to help people deal with this very thing.  

Second, as PPs have already told you - your son will not be covered by TRICARE becuase he is not your mother's dependent. Your MOTHER did not choose to have this child. 

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"