Stay at Home Moms
Options

Moms of Fall/Winter babies....

If you had a newborn/small infant in the winter months (aka- cold/flu season), did they get sick often??  Did you do anything to limit their exposure to others?  Or did you go about your daily routine normally?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers image

Re: Moms of Fall/Winter babies....

• Options
    Well...yes, my youngest is a December baby and had meningitis at a week old, and has always gotten sick more often than his brother (May birthday) but I really don't think the time of year had anything to do with it. He had an older brother bringing in all manner of germs from MDO, after all. I was always careful about the flu, as far as making sure we were all vaccinated (and that winter was the one where everyone was freaked out about H1N1), but beyond that, I don't know what you can do, other than not to leave your house.
  • Options

Went about my daily routine. I have 2 fall/winter babies, and this one will be born in fall as well.

I can tell you that DS contracted RSV when he was 16 days old. There was NOTHING I could have done to prevent it since I had 2 other kids in the house and one was attending preschool. DS was hospitalized for 5 days. He didn't get sick after that until he was 2.5 with a stomach bug for ONE day.

DD#1 didn't really get sick until she started preschool, at around age 3, and she was only sick with a stomach bug as well........ 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    MJCFMJCF member
    I had DS in Dec so I had a flu shot while I was pregnant. DS ended up in the NICU after he was born and we had a lot of drs visits the first month of his life so I really wasn't able to limit his exposure too much. Somehow he didn't get sick at all. I just made sure people that came to visit washed their hands. If we went out, I do remember taking him to do some last min Xmas shopping, I just tried to not let strangers touch him. I would have done this regardless of cold/flu season. We did take him to see Santa and Santa held him and I'm sure Santa couldn't have been too clean. Haha DS still didn't get sick.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

DD was born late Jan, and was breastfed for the first 4-6 months, and wasn't sick much her whole first year.  the first few weeks of her life, i was a "first time mom" and wouldn't let anyone hold her who didn't get both the flu shot and pertussis shot. And i made sure to have lots of purell on hand.  Our next baby is due in December, and i plan on doing the same things to help as i can to keep her healthy too. i know it will be extremely challenging as we will also have a toddler bringing in germs that we didn't have the first time. but we'll just wash hands lots and do what we can to keep everyone healthy this winter.

GL!

• Options
    no but he was born toward the end (March 1)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers natural miscarriages- 12/18/07 & 2/18/13 (AKA:KRISTA555)
  • Options

This will be my second October baby.

DD didn't get sick at all until I started putting her in the church nursery at around 9mos.  I did get a flu shot while pregnant and asked people to wash their hands or use sanitizer for the first couple of months.  Other than that I don't remember doing anything special. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Currently going through our second deployment. Can't wait for Zoe to meet her daddy!

• Options

I have a mid December baby before Christmas. We were super careful with her. She did not leave the house except for drs appt till 6 weeks. She went no where, not even grandparents that live 15 mins away. Lots and lots of people came to visit but they washed their hands. Grandparents all got flu shots at our request. We also did not allow our nieces and nephews to hold her till her first set of shots. As I said we were super conservative, but DH and I both wanted it that way and our family supported us even though they did not all agree. She had her first cold at 1 year old. I know it would be different if we have another obviously having an older sibling. We would not limit DDs ability to bond with her new sibling if we have another. I still think though if we had another winter baby, we would still try to limit her leaving the house for awhile. My DH thought is able to take lots of time off so, I would not be alone. One of us would be able to stay home with the LO while the other runs errands etc. 

I realize this is not everyone's way just my experience. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DD was born early December and hadn't even had a cold or anything until yesterday.  DS was born in February and got colds, but he was in daycare and I think that had something to do with it.  We didn't really do anything special or go out of our way.  Just paid close attention to hand washing and such.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My DD is only 7 months old but she hasn't been sick at all, not once. Other than a VERY minor ear infection from teething. My immediate family, one REALLY close friend and DH's mom, step dad and brother were the only ones that saw her for the first 6 weeks. DH and I neither one went in public at all for the first month. My family only saw her a few times in those first few weeks. DH and I avoided public because we had a HUGE RSV outbreak here, 3 of our friends kids got it right after DD was born. I have to say it is an incredible advantage to live away from people so we don't leave very often and nobody drives out of their way to our house. I never had to ask anyone to wash their hands or use Germ-X...they just did it.

I chose to have a winter baby because I cannot picture myself being 9 months pregnant in any type of heat and I pretty much stay sick most of the summer.

April '14 Siggy Challenge:

god damn you're so effing cute gifimage

• Options
    We took DS out like normal. I went to the grocery store when he was 3 days old. (He was covered in the car seat of course) DS has not been sick yet, so I didn't think it was a big deal.
  • Options

DS was born December 27th. He has yet to be sick period (no fever, runny nose, nothing)---we're very fortunate!

We stressed hand sanitizer to guests (MIL works in retail and I feared most something coming from her). When we'd go out to stores/eat we'd keep DS in his carrier unless forced to hold him by him crying (which was rare). When he was in his carrier we made sure to keep the umbrella part up to shelter him from others as best as possible (it also seemed to cut down on nosy people). 

• Options

Nope. DS was born at the end of January and has been sick exactly once in his life, and it was after flying out of state for the first time. For about the first month or so we asked people to wash their hands before holding him and asked anyone who was sick not to visit. That's about it.

Oh, and both DH and I and the grandparents made sure our pertussis/flu vaccines were up to date.

• Options
    LO was born in November and was 6 weeks early. He spent 8 days in NICU. Because of that, we kept him pretty under wraps for the first couple of weeks. For instance, he did not go to church for about 3 weeks. We don't really eat out a lot anyway, but he did not go out to a restaurant until he was over a month old. We had lots of hand sanitizer and wipes on hand and politely asked people to use them when they were going to hold him. He has not been sick at all other than the first couple days in the NICU. He got a teeny cold once a month or so ago but it was NBD. 
    Because you're mine, I walk the line....
    Landry Mark: 11/5/11
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    DD was born at the end of January and was very healthy her first year.  It was actually mid-May (when she was 15 mos. old) that everyone in our house got a killer stomach flu.  That was the first time she was ever sick.  She has never had an ear infection, though she has had 2 cases of strep (both after starting school).
    DD #1 - 01.08
    DD #2 - 03.13
  • Options

My first (born november) didn't get sick until she was almost a year old. But her brothers (born December) have been sick more times than I can count! I think it has to do with having their older sister in preschool and bringing every bug home to them. 

Married 07.07.07. Mom to 3: Ruby 11/08 and Oliver & Austin 12/11
  • Options

Both of mine are December babies - we just went about our normal life and routine in terms of going out and such and never had any issues.  I'm sort of the anti- hand sanitizer person (I'm incredibly scent sensitive and am more worried about an asthma attack than the killer bug the santizer didn't kill off because so many people don't realize hand sanitizer isn't a substitute for proper hand washing)... 

When DD was small she would get ear infections for who knows what reason and usually in the summer months.  When it comes to bugs, DS has been pretty healthy all along with only a few temperature jumps but nothing worthy of a trip to the Ped.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

DD is a November baby and was born in northern England where it is cold in September! We went about our normal schedule as much as possible but were a bit limited the first few weeks due to CS recovery. We took her to London and on a plane to the US at 6 weeks. She got a bit of a cold at 3 months (right after we returned from the US) which I have always attributed to the flight but it wasn't a big deal. We freaked out since we were first time parents but if it were to happen to this LO I wouldn't blink an eye. She wasn't sick again until after her first birthday.

m/c at 13 weeks - March 23, 2011
  • Options

I had two winter babies.  I went about life as normal.  I didn't keep my kids home; I would have went stir crazy.  DD (2 1/2) has yet to get sick and DS has only been sick once.  Both kids also go to gym child care. 

• Options
    DD is a Feb baby and has had 1 cold that DH brought home.
    Took 2 years & 8 months to make our baby! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

DS is a January baby, so I had a flu shot when I was pregnant.  TBH I didn't take him out much as a newborn, but for things that had to get done like groceries, appointments or whatever, I just wore him in a wrap. Kept him warm, no one touched him and he couldn't touch anything, it was great.

I was also a stickler for hand washing and sanitizing everything even after the NB stage.  He spent a week in the NICU with pneumonia when he was born, so most people indulged my paranoia. But hey, he didn't get sick again until 7 months in the summer, so something worked.

PCOS Dx 12.08 / BFP! 4.22.10 DS1 born 1.4.11 DS2 born 6.19.13
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My DD was born in October, and she had one cold.  Buy she caught it from me... :/ If I hadn't been sick, she would have been fine.  
  • Options
    DS was born 12/31; he didn't get sick often until he went to daycare in April at 3 months (it was only 2 days per week yet he picked up every single thing).  I really didn't bring him out a ton the first 3 months though because it was freezing and I had a tough recovery, so that probably also played a part in him staying pretty healthy through the winter.
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • Options
    Maeve is a January baby. She was born in between those massive snow storms of 2010. Honestly, she has rarely been sick and she's 2.5 yo. That first year she never had a fever, cold or anything out of the ordinary, besides our discovery of a milk allergy. She still is a relatively healthy kid, as is Mo. I just hope it's good immune systems and that kid 3 will get the same! 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Blogging about boobs, babies, bed lust & everything in between since 2007.
  • Options
    DS was a February baby and didn't get sick until he started daycare (I was not a SAHM at the time).  While I was on maternity leave, we still sent DD to daycare most days, so she was our biggest concern with getting DS sick.  She had a few colds while DS was a newborn and he never got sick.  We made sure to wash her hands thoroughly after daycare and when she was sick, didn't get too close to DS.  I think this is where breastfeeding might have helped him out - there were a couple of instances when DS was a baby where the whole family was sick except DS.
    Ms. A  - 2007, Mr. C - 2009
  • Options
    DS was born in November. Stomach flu at 5 weeks : ( He's also had a couple of colds and tons of allergies. I don't know if it had anything to do with the time of year he was born or not. We made sure people who had close contact with them were up to date on their vaccines and always washed their hands before holding him. Other than that, we went about our life as normal. No one really tried touching him if he was in his carrier or moby.
  • Options

50/50 here. My first was a late December baby. He rarely gets sick. He's had to take medicine once in his life and has yet to ever run a fever.

My DD was an early January baby. She gets colds here and there and had the croup last winter (which surprisingly my son never caught from her).

We raise them the same way--around lots of germs, never kept them contained in the house.

• Options

DS was born in early March. He didn't get sick for the first 18 months of his life.

DD was a November baby. She was sick all.the.time. Her brother started getting sick when she was born.

It got to the point last winter where I did start limiting their exposure to other kids, at least where I knew that someone had a cold/runny nose. Both of my kids had chronic ear or sinus infections, and underwent multiple surgeries because of it.  

• Options
    DS was born in January. He was never sick during the 1st year. During this year, he has been sick 3 times ( 2 colds & 1 stomach bug right now). I EBF his 1st year. I know breastfed babies get sick too, but ours didn't. We were blessed.1

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie - (A6Jy)

• Options
    My twins were born in December at 38w.  We stayed away from people for the first 2w or so, but after that we went on with our daily life.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"