Babies: 6 - 9 Months

F*ck my life

2»

Re: F*ck my life

• EvenAngelsFall, you're not at all being fair to the OP.  She said she lets her baby cry for 5 minutes.  Do you honestly believe that letting your baby cry for 5 minutes causes brain damage?  I can't even begin to count the number of times they've cried for 5 minutes because they're overtired, teething, frustrated, whatever, and that's all when I'm holding them and trying to comfort/rock them.  And my babies are very easy and don't cry much at all!  So are you saying that babies with colic will automatically have brain damage?  The logic just isn't there.

FTR, I'm anti extinction CIO FOR US.  If that's what others choose to do, so be it.  I'm of the opinion that if my girls are fussing it's because there's something wrong, but as I said, they're not fussy babies so they've shown me that they don't just cry for no reason.  Sunday night they just would night sleep so after trying everything (and it being 3 hours past their normal bedtime) we took turns putting them each in the swing to fall asleep.  They cried/fussed for 5-10 minutes and then were out.  Walking around, singing, rocking in the glider, feeding them, nothing worked to calm them down so we buckled them in the swing, sat there and patted their stomachs and let them cry for a few minutes until they fell asleep.  If they wake up randomly and make a little noise we don't go in unless they actually start crying, and even then we wait a minute or two to see if they'll settle down.  If that makes you think that we're bad parents, well, I couldn't care less.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagesmilelari:

imagebrewcitybride:
    Everyone on these boards who doesn't try CIO seems absolutely miserable.

Not true 

Ditto. My son never ever cried it out, and he sleeps 11 hours a night. I love the generalizations on these boards lately.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagejiffy-pop:
    Obviously we make sure our LO's are fed and comfortable before putting them to bed or when they wake up we check to make sure everything is still ok. That post is very far-fetched.

I've seen posts on my BMB which make me cringe. There was a big band wagon at the 4 month mark that many joined for the CIO method. I remember one poster saying she let her LO cry for over 60 minutes, alone.  I felt horrible for that little baby. I've also seen poster after poster say something along these lines about night feedings, "I know LO can't be hungry, they ate enough during the day." Really, can you read their mind to know 100% that they aren't hungry many hours later? These weren't talking about LO's waking up every hour to feed but once a night, maybe twice to eat. They change every day and week, their needs and amounts they eat during the day and night shift all the time. I think there is some misunderstanding of what the baby needs vs what the parents want sometimes.

Took 2 years & 8 months to make our baby! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Ugh. For reals?  I can write a story light that too. It goes like this.

I'm only a few weeks old. My whole life I've been snuggled up next to mommy and kept nice and warm. All of a sudden you put me in a hard seat and strap me down. You take me into the bright sun and put me into a big metal box. Then all of the sudden I start moving. I'm so scared! I cry and cry and no one lets me out. I just don't understand. I just want to be snuggled and warm.

Are you going to pull over and unstrap your kid every time they cry in a car seat? No. That's because it's necessary to get where you're going. You can't stay inside forever. Teaching a baby to sleep on their own is necessary, too. It's an important skill that they will need all their life.

I'm not saying let your baby cry for hours. But if they are fed, dry, and comfortable then they are just protesting because they would much rather have the pleasure of your company than learn how to fall asleep on their own.

This is ridiculous. 

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemabenner1:
    imagesmilelari:

imagebrewcitybride:
    Everyone on these boards who doesn't try CIO seems absolutely miserable.

Not true 

Ditto. My son never ever cried it out, and he sleeps 11 hours a night. I love the generalizations on these boards lately.

Same here! My son also sleeps 11 hours a night with no wake ups. We never had to CIO either. We are far from miserable.

"If every word I said, could make you laugh - I'd talk forever".
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Yes for the amount of crying babies do generally - shouldn't all of our babies have brain damage?  Hogwash!

THE SWEET SURVIVAL
    Running PRs
    5 Mile - 35:05
    10K - 45:55
    Half Marathon - 1:40:31
    Marathon - 3:37:41
  • imageCObride2006:

Yes for the amount of crying babies do generally - shouldn't all of our babies have brain damage?  Hogwash!

Only prolonged crying causes brain damage. Again, people really should research this. The amount of ignorance is really astounding.

"If every word I said, could make you laugh - I'd talk forever".
  • imageoliversmommy32912:

Ugh. For reals?  I can write a story light that too. It goes like this.

I'm only a few weeks old. My whole life I've been snuggled up next to mommy and kept nice and warm. All of a sudden you put me in a hard seat and strap me down. You take me into the bright sun and put me into a big metal box. Then all of the sudden I start moving. I'm so scared! I cry and cry and no one lets me out. I just don't understand. I just want to be snuggled and warm.

Are you going to pull over and unstrap your kid every time they cry in a car seat? No. That's because it's necessary to get where you're going. You can't stay inside forever. Teaching a baby to sleep on their own is necessary, too. It's an important skill that they will need all their life.

I'm not saying let your baby cry for hours. But if they are fed, dry, and comfortable then they are just protesting because they would much rather have the pleasure of your company than learn how to fall asleep on their own.

This is ridiculous. 

THANK YOU! My daughter screams the entire time I go somewhere with her in the car. Am I supposed to never leave the house because her crying in the car is causing her "brain damage?!"  

Me- 28 DH- 36 Diagnosis- MFI IVF baby #1- DD, 2 years old MC at 6 weeks in Feb 2011 (FET) IVF #2- BFP! IVF baby #2- DD, 4 months old
  • imageEvenAngelsFall:
    imageCObride2006:

Yes for the amount of crying babies do generally - shouldn't all of our babies have brain damage?  Hogwash!

Only prolonged crying causes brain damage. Again, people really should research this. The amount of ignorance is really astounding.

Yes, yes it is..... 

Me- 28 DH- 36 Diagnosis- MFI IVF baby #1- DD, 2 years old MC at 6 weeks in Feb 2011 (FET) IVF #2- BFP! IVF baby #2- DD, 4 months old
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"