Babies: 0 - 3 Months

oral polio vaccine?

Has anyones LO had the oral polio vax? Any reactions? Thanks!
image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: oral polio vaccine?

• DS had one oral vaccine so far but I don't remember which one was oral.  It may have been the polio one.  He didn't have any reaction though.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • Are you sure it's polio?  DD had one oral vaccine, but it was rotavirus (which she did fine with).  Polio was the traditional IM injection. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • DS's only oral vaccine was rotavirus, like a PP.  Polio was mixed with dTaP and Hib.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Avas only oral will be the rotavirus one. We go next week to get her shots. Hopefully she reacts well to all of them. Her dr gave me info on all.the shots though and told me which ones she will get etc.
  • imagewife07mom09:

not preferred.

oral is not inactivated. I doubt many pedis would give you the oral. get it in the shot 

Yes I believe the oral vax is what they used to do before the injection one was invented. I didn't think they even made it anymore. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would definitely ask your doctor more questions about this because the rotavirus vaccine is currently the only oral vaccine in the vaccine schedule in the US...theres two brands: RotaTeq and Rotarix.  The old polio vaccine was given as a live-virus oral vaccine but this was taken off the markets in the US in the early 2000's b/c it was causing some children to become paralized! I dont understand how someone living in the US is still being offered it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"