April 2012 Moms
Options

UO Thursday

Re: UO Thursday

• Options
    imagegisa886:
    imageMikeHoncho:

imagegisa886:
    Mine is that I think people who are squicky about birthdays are weird. When I was growing up it was a day for us to be pampered and that is what it will be for my kids. I think it should be that way for everyone, even as adults!

I agree, and birthdays are big for us.  I'd like to add that I feel this way about people who are blah about christmas.  I LOVE CHRISTMAS. We have a million traditions and it is just such a warm and fuzzy time.  

Yes!!!!! My siblings are all Grinchy about decorating, whereas I want Christmas to vomit all over the house, trees, yard and me!  

THIS!!! I am a freak about birthdays. It was my birthday yesterday and I have to admit, I was a little sad that I was stuck at home with a baby all day while DH worked. Kinda boring. But his birthday was 5 days ago and we didn't do much either. Makes me sad! I can't wait to give Camden the BEST birthdays in the world. And don't even get me started on Christmas. I go nuts. 

• Options

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Christmas too.  It has taken 10 years for me to condition and promote Christmas to DH, and the last 2 years he's been pretty excited about too (because of Ashlynn).

Also, I have to agree with X.....I hate cats!  I think the only way I could EVER own one is if I lived in the country and the cat was outside, maybe taking care of field mice...IDK though......cats are NOT for me.  I pray our DD's NEVER ask for one.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

GISA&DIXEE (and whoever else loves Christmas) 

Tell me your Christmas traditions

Every year we:

Have ornament dinner, where we eat a feast and we all have ornaments on our plates hidden under napkins, then decorate the tree with said ornaments

Make cookies/ frost decorate them/ hand them out to neighbors

Drive around and look at the lights

Church Christmas Eve (We aren't religious either, we just go to this really old fashioned church with hymn books and the whole shebang.  There are maybbee 20 people that attend this service, and we have done it since we were little)

Then we all open one present (it's always pjs) and we drink cocoa and read the polar express

• Options

imagefoozzle:
    I hate that the IOC has repeatedly denied requests for a moment of silence for the athletes killed at the Munich games.  I appreciate that Bob Costas took it upon himself to do it.  I want to not watch the games because of this, but I just love the men in tight outfits.

It really sucks.  I think the IOC are a bunch of pvssies!

• Options

imageerniebufflo:
    Here's an unpopular one: I hate the word "mommy." I'm cool with others who love it and use it, but it literally skeeves me out somehow when someone uses it to refer to me. I'm really working hard on teaching the girls to call me mama.

I agree with that mommy thing, but the word "Mama" has been forever ruined thanks to my MIL. She insists that everyone that knows MH to call her "Mama," and very few people know her real name. It made it incredibly uncomfortable to refer to her when DH and I were only dating for a couple of months. I only have one "mama"and she ain't you, lady. I loathe referring to her that way, so I avoid addressing her at all. 

Micah Leonard
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    imageMikeHoncho:

Every year we:

Have ornament dinner, where we eat a feast and we all have ornaments on our plates hidden under napkins, then decorate the tree with said ornaments

Church Christmas Eve (We aren't religious either, we just go to this really old fashioned church with hymn books and the whole shebang.  There are maybbee 20 people that attend this service, and we have done it since we were little)

Then we all open one present (it's always pjs) and we drink cocoa and read the polar express

Ugh, seriously, this post is making me depressed. I LOVE the Christmas season. I hate winter more than anything else in life, but I would love for it to be Christmas time right now. Skip all this 90 degree weather, I'm sick of it!

Our traditions aren't as cool as yours, but Christmas eve we go to my aunts house (have since I was little). Its boring, but its Christmas time so that makes it fun. My worst Christmas gift came from my aunt at this said party when I was 18 (the last year the aunts/uncles get the nieces/nephews presents). I opened the present, and inside was....dun dun dun, disposable shavers. WTF AUNT. It was humiliating, especially when everyone was all 'OO what did you get?!?!'

Anyway, then we usually spend the night at IL's house. Wake up Christmas morning to a big breakfast. Then we go to my sis's house and give gifts. Then back at IL's for massive present exchange. Then everyone spends the night again and we all have a huge sleepover in the living room. Sometimes we make huge tents and sleep under those with the kids. It might be a little different this year with DS, but I am SO excited for his first Christmas!!

• Options
    imageCPhillz:
    imageMikeHoncho:

Every year we:

Ugh, seriously, this post is making me depressed. I LOVE the Christmas season. I hate winter more than anything else in life, but I would love for it to be Christmas time right now. Skip all this 90 degree weather, I'm sick of it!

Our traditions aren't as cool as yours, but Christmas eve we go to my aunts house (have since I was little). Its boring, but its Christmas time so that makes it fun. My worst Christmas gift came from my aunt at this said party when I was 18 (the last year the aunts/uncles get the nieces/nephews presents). I opened the present, and inside was....dun dun dun, disposable shavers. WTF AUNT. It was humiliating, especially when everyone was all 'OO what did you get?!?!'

Anyway, then we usually spend the night at IL's house. Wake up Christmas morning to a big breakfast. Then we go to my sis's house and give gifts. Then back at IL's for massive present exchange. Then everyone spends the night again and we all have a huge sleepover in the living room. Sometimes we make huge tents and sleep under those with the kids. It might be a little different this year with DS, but I am SO excited for his first Christmas!!

All of this sounds so fun! We all have a sleepover at my moms on Christmas Eve as well, I love it.  Also, one year for Christmas my biological father (who is not in my life) bought me Circus Peanuts (like, the orange puffy whatthefuckaretheyevenmadeoutof candy) and a pair of socks.  Thas it.  My brothers got some video game equipment and baseball gear, etc, etc.  Let's just say, I don't miss splitting my Christmas time. I was like 8 and still thought wtf dude?!

• Options
    imageChristina_Diane:

It is so early. It is only 3:15.

My UO is that mint chocolate chip ice cream is absolutely disgusting. It is the worst flavor ever. Mint and chocolate shouldn't even be combined because the mint ruins the chocolate. I know, flame away. 

DH buys mint chocolate chip ice cream because he knows I won't eat it all like I would if he bought another type. I find it to be so gross. I love chocolate and the mint grossness covers the chocolate heaven that it is.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

DH is yellow car guy.  He has a 2004 Anniversary edition Mustang GT and although I used to think yellow car people were assclowns, that car drives amazing and I feel like a bad ass in it.  He also only drives it occasionally, so it looks brand new, so it also makes me feel like we got a new car when we're in it lol

I love Christmas but I have limited tolerance for Christmas music.  I can only listen to it while doing Christmas things like baking cookies, decorating, etc.  The radio stations that play it nonstop from Thanksgiving on drive me out of my mind!

• Options
    imageMikeHoncho:

All of this sounds so fun! We all have a sleepover at my moms on Christmas Eve as well, I love it.  Also, one year for Christmas my biological father (who is not in my life) bought me Circus Peanuts (like, the orange puffy whatthefuckaretheyevenmadeoutof candy) and a pair of socks.  Thas it.  My brothers got some video game equipment and baseball gear, etc, etc.  Let's just say, I don't miss splitting my Christmas time. I was like 8 and still thought wtf dude?!

Hahaha, circus peanuts. Those things are so sick - I'm sorry you got that craptastic gift! I think all of us have had one of those before though! And I hate splitting Christmas so many ways, just like all holidays. It gets annoying when you get settled at one place and are having a good time, then you realize, "Oh $*@, I was supposed to be at so-in-so's a half hour ago!"  

• Options
    imagecreamsiclechica:

DH is yellow car guy.  He has a 2004 Anniversary edition Mustang GT and although I used to think yellow car people were assclowns, that car drives amazing and I feel like a bad ass in it.  He also only drives it occasionally, so it looks brand new, so it also makes me feel like we got a new car when we're in it lol

I love Christmas but I have limited tolerance for Christmas music.  I can only listen to it while doing Christmas things like baking cookies, decorating, etc.  The radio stations that play it nonstop from Thanksgiving on drive me out of my mind!

Usually I'd agree with you on the christmas music thing, but last year I was one of those freaks that started listening to it after Thanksgiving. I think it was because I was pregnant and just so excited for Christmas with a baby (kind of.. ?). I think I'll be like that this year too - it just makes me in cheery Christmas mood! 

• Options
    imageMikeHoncho:

Every year we:

FUN!

Well, now that I don't live by ANY of my family, I'm trying to pass my family traditions onto my DH's family (who have NONE Sad).  So every year for a christmas gifts to our nieces and nephews & BIL & SIL's (total of 12 people) I order Italian blow glass ornaments from Bronner's Christmas Wonderland-in Michigan (love this place) for each person.  I try to find a unique ornament specific to them in that time of their life.  My grandparents & mother have done this for us for as long as I can remember.  It was always my favorite gift too....I could'nt wait to see what was chosen for me in that year.  The idea behind this too is that once you start your own family you would already have a whole collection of ornaments.  My mom would not give me my ornaments until I was married.  So I have these hopes for my children and also my nieces and nephews.  So far DH's family loves it:)

We also make eggs benedict and momosa's every Christmas morning....YUM!

Just talking about all this is getting sooooo excited!

• Options
    imagecreamsiclechica:

All of this talk about Christmas is making me overly and bizarrely over-emotional right now. And I stalk the SiriusXM page the few weeks before Halloween to find out when the Holiday Traditions and Holly stations are going to return (it's usually the first week in November). 

Micah Leonard
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I love Christmas, but HATe Christmas music before thanksgiving. I refuse to do anything Christmas until black Friday! Every holiday gets its time
  • Options
    My UO: I don't get how spending thousands and thousands of dollars on a wedding is making it more "special." I think this everytime I see wedding shows on TLC, and the brides say, "My final cost is $50,000, my wedding is going to be so special and spectacular!" Um, shouldn't the "specialness" be just from marrying the love of your life, and not trying to get as much glittery and fancy crap poured into a room as you can? I also don't see the point in spending so much. You could have just as great of a wedding for WAY cheaper, and then save all of that other money for you life as newlyweds. Idk, I just don't get the point of expensive weddings. FWIW, our wedding was probably $2,000 tops. But we just got married the two of us on the beach. Very simple and it was amazing and SPECIAL. 
  • Options
    imageCPhillz:
    imagecreamsiclechica:

Usually I'd agree with you on the christmas music thing, but last year I was one of those freaks that started listening to it after Thanksgiving. I think it was because I was pregnant and just so excited for Christmas with a baby (kind of.. ?). I think I'll be like that this year too - it just makes me in cheery Christmas mood! 

This is true, I could change my tune (literally) as it gets closer, because I'm so excited to have Christmas with my daughter I've started planning it in my head now.  And her first birthday.  It's kind of ridiculous.  So we'll both probably be jamming out to Christmas in October without a second thought.

• Options
    My UO is that I'm tired of the word bling. I think adults sound ridiculous saying it. Oh, and swag sounds stupid too.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I freaking LOVE Christmas. LOVE IT!

Right now I'm crocheting a Christmas blanket. It is August.

I also spend time each week thinking about our Christmas card and what outfits we should all wear and what color should be the theme, etc. 

The day Tiny Prints comes out with new holiday card designs is the best day of my life.

• Options
    imagejkfranklin:
    My UO: The UO and FFFC threads need to not be started until later in the morning.  It sucks trying to keep up with it all day long when it ends up on page 3!
    Sorry, bishes, it's Germany and its GMT+1 today FTW!
  • Options
    imageAshleyC0117:

The day Tiny Prints comes out with new holiday card designs is the best day of my life.

Can you post when this happens?!?!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
  • Options

Here is another UO.  I am not a big fan of holidays including Christmas.  I have to figure out how to go to my mom's, my dad's, and now DH's family.  People tend to do things for Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve and New Year's day.  We also have arrange things with the girls, because of their mom and her family.  This year there will be no getting around around visiting everyone because they will want to spend time with Pilar.

On top of that my step mom, dad and sisters always bicker.  It's just easier for my step mom and me do do a majority of the work.  By the end of the holiday season I'm exhausted. 

• Options

imagepuppylove64:
    I love Christmas, but HATe Christmas music before thanksgiving. I refuse to do anything Christmas until black Friday! Every holiday gets its time

I have 400 xmas songs on my iPod.  there are only about 600 TOTAL songs on my ipod!

i could listen to xmas music right now. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
  • Options

Traditions are as follows

Kids sleep in mom and dad's bed on Christmas Eve

Twas the Night Before Christmas is read to them

Santa gets beer and nachos instead of milk and cookies

Gifts from Santa are unwrapped and waiting for the kids

Every year we get a Hallmark ornament.  

i wish i could be joking but my dad is the music teacher at a church so he owuld be mad. we had sex, all the time how bad i know but we dont want to wait and he said GREAT OH KAY! and I was really feeling the wets? down there- too embarsed to say- but he acted like man.
  • Options

I love birthdays. And Christmas. And raisins in my cookies (what's the matter with you people?!). And cheesecake. Mint choc chip is revolting.

My first car was a 1978 Volvo. in yellow. it was hideously awesome. (It's also still on the road:)

I'm a writer/editor for a living. It's soooo hard not to be the 'grammar police', but I don't want to be a bish, so I try not to ever correct anyone.

My UO: you know how there are two lines at customs? (ie, if you have a US Passport, step into this nicely moving line here. If you have a passport from somewhere else, set up camp in this PITA line over here and plan on taking a nap- you'll be here for a while) I think they should have lines like this at coffee shops. If you're ordering some frilly half-caf/no whip/extra caramel/one pump sugar free vanilla coffee-flavored milkshake, get your butt in that line over there, so the rest of us who need our caffeine fix on our way to work after just 3 hours of sleep can get on with our lives.

• Options
    imageCPhillz:
    imageMikeHoncho:

Hahaha, circus peanuts. Those things are so sick - I'm sorry you got that craptastic gift! I think all of us have had one of those before though! And I hate splitting Christmas so many ways, just like all holidays. It gets annoying when you get settled at one place and are having a good time, then you realize, "Oh $*@, I was supposed to be at so-in-so's a half hour ago!"  

Terrible gifts- There is someone on the bump that has a link in their sig to a blog about terrible gifts, it is hilarious.

I'm lucky I don't have to split our holidays because my in laws live 12-14 hours away and my husband doesn't have a terrific relationship with them, also, they don't celebrate holidays. So I get to hog him :) 

• Options
    imagedixee.deluxe:
    imageAshleyC0117:

Can you post when this happens?!?!

Of course! Last year I actually contacted them and asked what day they came out. I'm a psycho. Then I spend HOURS AND HOURS looking at every single one and debating which one is the most perfect. I loveeeee Christmas cards!  

• Options
    I don't celebrate Christmas.  At all.  I think DH and I went out to dinner on Christmas Eve.  I don't even remember.
    imageimage
                                                                            A15 January Siggy Challenge- 

Workout/fitness fails 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

imageCPhillz:
    My UO: I don't get how spending thousands and thousands of dollars on a wedding is making it more "special." I think this everytime I see wedding shows on TLC, and the brides say, "My final cost is $50,000, my wedding is going to be so special and spectacular!" Um, shouldn't the "specialness" be just from marrying the love of your life, and not trying to get as much glittery and fancy crap poured into a room as you can? I also don't see the point in spending so much. You could have just as great of a wedding for WAY cheaper, and then save all of that other money for you life as newlyweds. Idk, I just don't get the point of expensive weddings. FWIW, our wedding was probably $2,000 tops. But we just got married the two of us on the beach. Very simple and it was amazing and SPECIAL. 

I don't understand why it's become so hip to spend extravagant amounts of money on your wedding. To me it's foolish.

DH & I had a $2500 budget for EVERYTHING - pictures, dresses, decorations, food, music, reception hall, etc.  Our wedding was pretty, tasteful, fun, and memorable.  We went to two weddings last year that had $40K+ budgets and I was not impressed with anything there.  I don't know what the money was spent on.  We're going to a wedding in 2 months that has a $12K budget for ALCOHOL!!!!!! 

• Options
    imagekistjenn@yahoo.com:
    imageMikeHoncho:

Every year we:

FUN!

Well, now that I don't live by ANY of my family, I'm trying to pass my family traditions onto my DH's family (who have NONE Sad).  So every year for a christmas gifts to our nieces and nephews & BIL & SIL's (total of 12 people) I order Italian blow glass ornaments from Bronner's Christmas Wonderland-in Michigan (love this place) for each person.  I try to find a unique ornament specific to them in that time of their life.  My grandparents & mother have done this for us for as long as I can remember.  It was always my favorite gift too....I could'nt wait to see what was chosen for me in that year.  The idea behind this too is that once you start your own family you would already have a whole collection of ornaments.  My mom would not give me my ornaments until I was married.  So I have these hopes for my children and also my nieces and nephews.  So far DH's family loves it:)

We also make eggs benedict and momosa's every Christmas morning....YUM!

Just talking about all this is getting sooooo excited!

These are gorgeous and I might steal this tradition for L! 

• Options
    imageHiccup1025:

imageCPhillz:

I don't understand why it's become so hip to spend extravagant amounts of money on your wedding. To me it's foolish.

DH & I had a $2500 budget for EVERYTHING - pictures, dresses, decorations, food, music, reception hall, etc.  Our wedding was pretty, tasteful, fun, and memorable.  We went to two weddings last year that had $40K+ budgets and I was not impressed with anything there.  I don't know what the money was spent on.  We're going to a wedding in 2 months that has a $12K budget for ALCOHOL!!!!!! 

I think this really depends on where you live.  In my area, it is not possible to have a wedding in that price range unless you DIY the entire thing as like a backard bbq with an ipod and no photographer.

I spent more than that on my florist alone.

imageimage
                                                                            A15 January Siggy Challenge- 

Workout/fitness fails 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

imageCPhillz:

I totally agree. We spend 5,000. We had an open bar (we purchased all of the liquor/wine/beer outright and the caterer supplied bartenders) and family style food.  We had A TON of food.  I hate when I see shows like 4 Weddings where their budget is 30,000 and they are complaining about not having money for a honeymoon.  Our honeymoon was probably 1500 bucks and we went to ME and it was amazing.  Also, if your budget is 30,000 why not spend 20 on the wedding and have an amazing 10,000 honeymoon?! Why is that not doable? ALSO! They have this ginormous budget but then have a buffet and a cash bar--it makes me wonder where the heck all that money went.

I also think there is a major "trend" right now of people wanting a WEDDING and not a MARRIAGE.  There is a drastic difference between the two. 

• Options
    imageXimena M:

imagefoozzle:
    I hate that the IOC has repeatedly denied requests for a moment of silence for the athletes killed at the Munich games.  I appreciate that Bob Costas took it upon himself to do it.  I want to not watch the games because of this, but I just love the men in tight outfits.

It really sucks.  I think the IOC are a bunch of pvssies!

They are at least consistent.  They deny any request for any tribute (including one where Phelps gets his medal from the chick who had the most medals before him). 

I think they are trying to prevent it being tribute after tribute.  If you do Munich, you have to do the one from Atlanta Bombing and so on and so forth.

imagekatesy21:
    I also hate the saying "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels." Being skinny probably feels awesome, but I will probably never know because I LOVE FOOD!

I think skinny feels a lot like hungry.

• Options

imagegeekychic:
    I think skinny feels a lot like hungry.

RIP Dixee

• Options
    imageAshleyC0117:

I freaking LOVE Christmas. LOVE IT!

Right now I'm crocheting a Christmas blanket. It is August.

I also spend time each week thinking about our Christmas card and what outfits we should all wear and what color should be the theme, etc. 

I love you.  LOL  I think of all of these things now too.  I am so OCD when it comes to Christmas, its a little scary!

I too, am crocheting a christmas blanket now!  :)

• Options
    imagejenwet:

I love birthdays. And Christmas. And raisins in my cookies (what's the matter with you people?!). And cheesecake. Mint choc chip is revolting.

My first car was a 1978 Volvo. in yellow. it was hideously awesome. (It's also still on the road:)

I'm a writer/editor for a living. It's soooo hard not to be the 'grammar police', but I don't want to be a bish, so I try not to ever correct anyone.

My UO: you know how there are two lines at customs? (ie, if you have a US Passport, step into this nicely moving line here. If you have a passport from somewhere else, set up camp in this PITA line over here and plan on taking a nap- you'll be here for a while) I think they should have lines like this at coffee shops. If you're ordering some frilly half-caf/no whip/extra caramel/one pump sugar free vanilla coffee-flavored milkshake, get your butt in that line over there, so the rest of us who need our caffeine fix on our way to work after just 3 hours of sleep can get on with our lives.

This is awesome.   and i totally agree!

• Options
    imagefoozzle:

I think this really depends on where you live.  In my area, it is not possible to have a wedding in that price range unless you DIY the entire thing as like a backard bbq with an ipod and no photographer.

I agree. I spent more than that on flowers too. Weddings in my area are REALLY expensive. 

• Options
    imagedixee.deluxe:
    imagenikki.rzez:
    imagedixee.deluxe:
    imagemetucker:
    imageAshleyC0117:

Okay what the hell does FTW mean!? I never knew and thought I had finally cracked the code as "for the win". Fill me in!

Mint chocolate is my favorite flavor combination. Take that, haters! 

Yeah, I googled it and asked MH and everything says for the win. And it was her opinion that it didn't mean that. So I'm lost.  

It actually means Forever Two Wheels.

This makes no sense to me..

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=forever%20two%20wheels

Also, if people knew the other ways it was used, they might not use it anymore.  Even if they "didn't mean it that way".

I can't bold on my phone but I definitely agree with your last point... It was a popular phrase amongst certain prison gangs I dealt with and SEVERAL of them had it tattooed on themselves  

WDE!!! Pictures, Images and Photos Auburn Pictures, Images and Photos Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    DD1- 12/26/05 DD2- 4/12/12
  • Options
    imageMikeHoncho:

imageCPhillz:

I totally agree. We spend 5,000. We had an open bar (we purchased all of the liquor/wine/beer outright and the caterer supplied bartenders) and family style food.  We had A TON of food.  I hate when I see shows like 4 Weddings where their budget is 30,000 and they are complaining about not having money for a honeymoon.  Our honeymoon was probably 1500 bucks and we went to ME and it was amazing.  Also, if your budget is 30,000 why not spend 20 on the wedding and have an amazing 10,000 honeymoon?! Why is that not doable? ALSO! They have this ginormous budget but then have a buffet and a cash bar--it makes me wonder where the heck all that money went.

I also think there is a major "trend" right now of people wanting a WEDDING and not a MARRIAGE.  There is a drastic difference between the two. 

I agree where it is more about a wedding than a marriage. I had a friend who got engaged and was more excited about planning a wedding than actually BEING married. I was excited to plan my wedding, but I was more excited to be my husbands wife. :- 

• Options
    imageAshleyC0117:
    imagefoozzle:

I agree. I spent more than that on flowers too. Weddings in my area are REALLY expensive. 

I think thats the exception. Just like the cost of living is higher in certain places. My point was people who think having more is better in a wedding situation. Just doesn't seem right or what the "point" of a wedding is supposed to be.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"