Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Crib Safety Ratings Other than Consumer Reports

My husband is a huge consumer reports fan. He does hours of research before we buy anything, which I've never had a problem with until now, when it's interfering with my crib purchasing decisions. There are only four cribs on CR.com that have acceptable safety ratings and the only one l like of those four is the most expensive, naturally. I'd like to suggest some other cribs, but he wants some form of safety rating, which I understand. So, my question is, other than CR.com, is there another reputable safety rating organization that rates cribs?

I know that the US Consumer Product Safety Commission and safeproducts.org list recalled products, but I'm looking for actual ratings on cribs, not just recalled products. 

Does this exist?

Re: Crib Safety Ratings Other than Consumer Reports

• Options
    The book Baby Bargains doesn't rate specific crib models but it does give letter ratings to the manufacturers based on overall quality, price, performance, recalls, etc.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageMainelyFoolish:
    The book Baby Bargains doesn't rate specific crib models but it does give letter ratings to the manufacturers based on overall quality, price, performance, recalls, etc.

THIS!
    I'd pick Baby Bargains over Consumer Reports.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

There are no "safety ratings" for cribs.  All cribs sold new in the United States must meet specific safety requirements, so as long as you're not buying a used crib or purchasing a new one from a shady retailer and you keep an eye out for potential recalls, any crib you purchase will be just as safe as the most expensive crib on the market.

CR and Baby Bargains are rating other things - quality of materials, durability, consumer satisfaction, etc. - NOT safety.

If you want to know more about the crib regulations and how to ensure that your child is sleeping in the safest environment possible, go to https://www.cpsc.gov/info/cribs/index.html

TTC since 11/05...ectopic pg 4/08...early m/c 6/09...BFP 10/5/09!
    Nora B...June 15, 2010...8lbs, 8oz...Med-free birth!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2 since 7/11...cycle #3 of Clomid + IUI = BFP
    Malcolm...September 21, 2012...8lbs, 6oz...Another med-free birth!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news for your husband, but consumer reports and baby bargains are pretty bogus. Consumer reports is not accurate bc their own testing is poorly conducted and baby bargains is seriously based on nothing. they go to tradeshows for a second and bang a prototype around and suddenly have a whole opinion. go see the items in person and you can easily tell if it works for you. they are all minimally safe meaning they meet the same minimum standards, but some may be sturdier for long term use. as far as breaking and being a danger to your child, i cant imagine that happening with any.
  • Options
    If your dh is a big CR fan, please don't use this as a car seat buying guide either. Direct him to qualified CRSTs on the car-seat.org bulletin board, they can provide him with appropriate and accurate information.
  • Options
    Thanks so much everyone! I'm going to share all of these answers with my husband! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"