Adoption

I'm now an advocate!...Re: Adoption Leave

I thought you girls might be excited to hear that change CAN happen if your employer doesn't recognize adoption as equal to having biological children! 

I had a major issue with my school district when I went in to find out about taking leave after Sydney was born. I found out that adoptive parents are unable to use their sick leave to take a leave upon placement. Our contract basically said that a parent didn't deserve to take a leave using their previously accrued sick days unless their child was biological. I was very upset because I felt like it was very discriminatory. Our contract stated that a father can take his sick leave when his child is born, but an adoptive parent can't. I didn't understand why that was fair because fathers are not recovering from childbirth either (the district said that I can't take sick leave because there is nothing wrong with my body). When I talked to the union (who is supposed to be there to support us!), they said that they didn't understand why I was comparing adoption to paternity leave. He said, "The contract says that a father can take sick leave after the birth of HIS child. This isn't your child!" I was absolutely shocked that they would say that to me. Luckily, my school union rep is in the process of adopting, so she helped to educate this man at the union on what adoption was (although, it seems pretty obvious!), so he called me back to apologize. I had to get a doctor's note in order to be able to use 4 weeks of sick leave, but I wasn't about to let the district and union get away with the discrimination that they had been doing for so many years. I wrote new contract language and submitted it to the union bargaining team. They took it to the district and got the contract changed! I was just proud of myself for sticking to my guns and getting it changed for all future adoptive parents! I'm so happy that my district is now recognizing adoption as equal to having biological children!

Here is the old and new contract language... 

Article 13- Leaves- Personal Necessity Leaves will be re-opened for negotiations at the same time Work Year is discussed in January 2013.Both Parties agree to combine Maternity, Paternity, and Adoption Leave under one title, Parental Leave.
(Old language)-Paternity Two (2) days of personal leave without loss of pay, or deduction from sick leave, will be granted to a father before, after, or at the time of the birth of his child when it becomes necessary for the teacher to be absent. Notice shall be given the immediate administrator as soon as possible. Up to Five (5) days of Personal Leave with Pay may be granted for the purpose of extending leave under this section. E. Maternity Two (2) days of personal leave without loss of pay, or deduction from sick leave, will be granted to a teacher on maternity leave either before or after the birth of the child. Notice shall be given in writing to the immediate administrator prior to taking the leave. Up to Five (5) days of Personal Leave with Pay may be granted for the purpose of extending leave under this section. F. Adoption Up to two (2) days leave with pay shall be provided for the teacher who adopts a child. Prior notice to the immediate administrator is required. Up to Five (5) days of Personal Leave with Pay may be granted for the purpose of extending leave under this section.
(new language)D. Parental Leave-

Two (2) days of personal leave without loss of pay, or deduction from sick leave, will be granted to a teacher on parental leave either directly before or directly after the birth or adoption of their child. Notice shall be given in writing to the immediate administrator prior to taking the leave. Up to Five (5) days of Personal Leave with Pay (teacher pays for substitute) as defined in section ?J? of this Article may be granted for the purpose of extending leave. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
She's Forever Ours! Finaliaztion-12.26.12Image and video hosting by TinyPic http://hehasaplanforus.blogspot.com/

Re: I'm now an advocate!...Re: Adoption Leave

• IRRIRR member
    Good for you!  That is fantastic.

Failed Matches - December 2012, May 2013, December 2013
    Moved on to  gestational surrogacy with a family friend who is our angel and due 7/23/15

• Fantastic!!!  You should feel proud!
    image Best friends and sisters... 24 months and 16 months
  • Loading the player...
  • cogbotcogbot member

You deserve a huge pat on the back!   That's awesome :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • That is awesome!
  • Two reactions: 1) that is awesome and you should be so proud of this huge step forward.  2) It still makes me sad that so little time is offered.  7 days is not enough! More like 7 months. 

TTC September 2010 thru October 2011
    SA February 2011: Normal
    RE App. October 2011 - Recc. Clomid and IUI

Taking a break from TTC to pursue adoption

Met our 2 year old son in Russia July 2012!
    Court trip October 2012
    Home November 24 2012!

Back to RE Summer 2013. TTC journey continues: 

Dx DOR, endometriosis, low sperm count 
    Clomid + IUI#1, #2 = BFN / IUI #3 = ???

Laparoscopy scheduled December 2013

Adding a Burden
  • imagejillianmb:
    Two reactions: 1) that is awesome and you should be so proud of this huge step forward.  2) It still makes me sad that so little time is offered.  7 days is not enough! More like 7 months. 

Teachers use their sick time for leave, which is silly, but at least we get something. I wasn't able to use my sick leave after Sydney was born because the contract didn't allow it, so I got a doctor's note in order to take 4 weeks of sick leave. I'm just happy that our contract made it possible for future adoptive parents to be able to use their sick leave after the adoption of their child! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    She's Forever Ours! Finaliaztion-12.26.12Image and video hosting by TinyPic http://hehasaplanforus.blogspot.com/
  • Good for you!!!!!

And I guess I have to be thankful that my school district makes no difference between giving birth or adoption. They see it as taking care of a family member, so I get 6 weeks of paid leave. After that I'd need a doctors note to take the rest of my leave.

I guess at one point there was a great person like you, who made this possible! 

• That is great. You should be very proud.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Way to go! We need more advocates like that! And I can't believe someone said "That's not your child". How awful!
  • That is great! I'm glad you stood for what is right. 
  • That is so cool!  Way to go!  Congratulations on an excellent achievement.
  • That's awesome, good job!
    Married Since 09/2006, TTC Since 09/2010 
    DX: Unexplained infertility, DH normal 
    3 Femara cycles - Oct, Nov, Dec 2011, all BFNs 
    IVF #1, ER 2/15 (5R, 4M, 4F), ET 2/18, Beta 2/29 = BFN :( 
    Follistim + IUI on 6/25 = BFN 
    Home Study Finalized 8/14/12! Profile Active - 8/17/12! 
    Officially Matched 8/29/12, Our perfect angel born 9/25/12! 
    Biggest surprise ever, unexpected BFP on 4/12/13! 

Our Angel through Adoption
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Our Little Miracle
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • That is great!  Good for you!
    Me- 37, DH- 32. TTC- June 2010- Adoption journey started April 2012 image
  • Good for you for standing up for yourself and others!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • That is so great, good for you for advocating for yourself and helping other future adoptive parents!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• how AWESOME is that.  good for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you go girl!!!!!!!
    After 7 years of marriage and 5 unsuccessful IVFs, we have been granted the gift of adopting a baby boy, born 4/21/11.
  • Way to go!!
    I have been getting my ducks in a row to approach our school board about this in our policies as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"