April 2012 Moms
Options

BF troubleshooting - desperate

So I use nipple shields due to flat nipples. LO has reflux & is on 1mL of Zantac twice a day. I used to have over supply. In the last few weeks, I started having under supply. I've been trying to increase my milk - pumping and feeding more, fenugreek, oatmeal everyday. In the last couple days, LO will start to feed, pull off after 3 or so minutes, start fussing and not go back on. So then my breasts weren't emptying making my low supply worse. So I'm pumping the excess to increase supply. But then I'm having to give bottles to fill her up. But since LO keeps pulling off after 3 minutes and won't go back on at all, even minutes later, I'm having to pump every time after a feeding. So feedings take a long time. Why would she be pulling off after only 3 minutes? I thought it was because my flow wasn't flowing as strong since she was used to over supply but when I compress, milk flows pretty easily. Could it be the taste of the fenugreek? Something else?

Please be gentle. I'm having a hell week. DH is away on business, BF completely sucks right now since LO eats, pulls off fussing, then I have to pump AND somehow hold her or put her someplace to pump, then feed her that milk or frozen milk, etc. I have zero support from family or friends and I'm losing my mind. I do not have an easy baby and crying has become an almost daily event. And I'm not a crier. TB is my social life, and that's when I can even get on.

The next lactation class I can get into is Monday.

Re: BF troubleshooting - desperate

• Options
    jenwetjenwet member

I'm not sure I'm much help, but wanted to say that this sounds like hell and I'm sorry you're dealing with it. Have you tried pulling off the shield before she unmatched herself? Might be that she's getting impatient with the flow as she gets more efficient. I noticed something similar with my lo and that's when we started transitioning off the shields. GL!

ETA: "unlatches" not "unmatched". Stupid phone.  

• Options

My LO definately fusses if she has gas or now she's getting distracted. I wish I could be more help. Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm so sorry. Hugs. There is a 3 month growth spurt, which could factor into this too. Can you call a LLL leader? They're super nice and used to emergency phone calls.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ((Hugs)) I would definitely try calling a LC asap. And like PP said, skip an at-breast session and then pump. The three month spurt could definitely be a factor. Good luck and I hope things gets better for you soon!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

we are dealing with this as well. I googled nursing strikes and he had the characteristics- he will only nurse well first thing in the morning.

We met with our LC and she found that he has a tooth coming in. Check your baby's gums and see if that could be part of the problem. She said offer the breast but don't fight him, just give him the bottle and let this tooth pop through.

• Options
    vtwd40vtwd40 member
    imageJaimeG183:

we are dealing with this as well. I googled nursing strikes and he had the characteristics- he will only nurse well first thing in the morning.

We met with our LC and she found that he has a tooth coming in. Check your baby's gums and see if that could be part of the problem. She said offer the breast but don't fight him, just give him the bottle and let this tooth pop through.

I was going to suggest a tooth. I read that it can hurt them to suck too hard when they're teething. I've been massaging my breast and expressing a little before I latch her and that's helped. Hope things get better

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    X is doing the EXACT same thing!! I had over supply and a forceful let down. 3 months hit and now I have undersupply. I saw a LC last week who did a weighted feed and he got 3oz from my breast and had 2oz of ebm from a bottle and he was still hungry. Im taking 5 caps of fenugreek and blessed thistle 3x a day. Im pumping after each feed (double electric) and I uped my fluid and food intake. Im going back to the LC to recheck on Thursday. X had his top lip tie and tongue tie fixed today (The LC discovered it). Today he has been feeding for 3-4 minutes then pulling off, cryinv and refusing to go back on. The dentist explained to me today that at 3 months babies become more aware of feeding and its no longer a reflex. If its too much work to get milk they give up. And because of his tongue tie and my low supply after 3 minutes flow stops he gets tired and cries. Makes sense. So im seeing the LC again in a couple days and ill see what she says. X is also not gaining weight. Have you seen a LC? That may be your best bet. If no change on Thursday she wants me to start domperidone. Im supplementing with my freezer stash but im down to 28oz and X refuses formula so im worried. Im hoping my supply picks up and maybe this tongue tie fix will help. He just had it down a couple hours ago. GL to you, Keep me posted. I can let you know what my LC says Thursday. It sounds like we are in the same boat.

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    P.s. Just wanted to let you know I know how it feels I feel like im loosing my mind too. Im home alone with LO all day and its so hard to nurse, bottle feed and then pump for 15 minutes. Ive had quite a few break downs the past few days. I actually threw X's baby monitor across the room because I was so frustrated.... i told DH it was that or punch a hole in the wall. Then I just cried for an hour. Its tough. All this and zero sleep isnt helping. I ordered a handsfree pumping bra so im hoping it helps (i paid for express post cause im that desperate!!). At least when I give X a supplement bottle he will go a little longer between feeds (he was feeding every hour). I feel for ya. Hang in there. And if you need any support/questions just PM me.

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    I just wanted to tell you that you aren't alone and I'm so sorry things are rough right now. I agree with lizzyb, maybe call a LLL leader? I've found them to be very helpful. Good luck!
  • Options
    I'm so sorry to hear that you are having a tough time! do you offer both breasts? my DD pulls off after a few minutes but I've come to realize it's because she's emptied that breast so I move her to the other one and she's happy. I think it sounds like you are doing everything right so hang in there and hopefully things will straighten out in the next few days...hang in there dear.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry to hear that you are having a tough time! do you offer both breasts? my DD pulls off after a few minutes but I've come to realize it's because she's emptied that breast so I move her to the other one and she's happy. I think it sounds like you are doing everything right so hang in there and hopefully things will straighten out in the next few days...hang in there dear oh and I agree to try to get off the nipple shield. I was on then but my lll lady I called for help said to put it away and not to use it. I was anxious..scared...nervous but I'm so so glad she pushed me because nursing is so much better and easier now.
  • Options
    I am so sorry. Could it be that she just prefers a bottle now? My niece did that when my sis went back to work, and would refuse to nurse except once in the morning. I hope your dh gets home soon, you need a break.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thanks everyone. It's reassuring I'm not alone. It's so frustrating seeing her upset, on top of reflux, on top of possible under supply, latch issues and pulling off. Everything today is a guessing game and my patience is very low. 

@ jenwet - Every time I try without the shield, she pulls off and sometimes doesn't go back on. But it seems weaning off the shield should be a priority these days since so many people say the shields make things worse around 3 months.

@ softskate3 - Thanks for the link. I usually call a different lactation consultant that I've gone to twice before, but I can't attend her class until next Monday. I did call the # in your link and hope to speak to someone from the LLL tonight. So thank you!

@ bootcamp - I have wondered if she is more gassy for some reason. Sometimes she'll pull off and have a good burp or even a good poop, and that may be the case. I'm actually hoping it's a poop for once. 

@ lizzyb - I do wonder if it's the 3 month spurt. I only noticed a change in her around the 6 week one. If it is a growth spurt, it's making an impact for sure. Hope I survive.

@ JaimeG183 - I do mouth exercises with her before latching her on to help with her opening wider. I haven't noticed anything yet. Maybe something is below the surface. 

@miniray - Thanks for your posts! It sounds like you have your hands full too. The hands free pumping bra will change your life. I have one and I can actually do other things while double pumping. It's great!

@ Matilda - I do offer both breasts if she'll take the 2nd one. Then I have to ump them both since she fed from them both. For the shield, did your LO feed w/o it right away? I keep trying w/o and she isn't having it. So I'm hesitant to keep trying w/o it with all the issues going on. 

@ Sunshine - I hope she's not getting used to the bottle. We do have her on a size 2 nipple because it seemed to match my over supply back at the beginning better. Now I'm wondering if we should switch back to size 1 since I'm not flowing as much. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"