Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Anyone introduce formula late in the game (8+ months)??

I can no longer keep up with LO's BM needs, it seems my body is trying to dry itself up. I EP and now make 1 bottle short of what she needs for the day. I have enough frozen stash to last me another week. I've been considering donated milk but I just don't think I can do it...so I'm considering supplementing with 1 formula bottle per day. Do I need to introduce it slowly (ie 1 oz per bottle spread thought the day) or can I just make her nighttime bottle all formula? I feel so bad that she will have to get used to formula and then get used to whole milk in a few months, but unfortunately my body has a mind of its own...I've tried everything to boost supply...
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyone introduce formula late in the game (8+ months)??

• Options
    I am in your exact boat. I asked the Pedi how to introduce and she said not to mix, just offer a full bottle. Shaking a bottle with bm in it breaks down the nutrients. The pedi gave us several samples since we gave ours away months ago. I have given her one full bottle of formula and she didn't think twice. I tried to give her a bm and formula bottle two days ago and she refused it. (had milk left from the sitter earlier in the day and didn't want to waste it...backfire!)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagesunandsand:
    I can no longer keep up with LO's BM needs, it seems my body is trying to dry itself up. I EP and now make 1 bottle short of what she needs for the day. I have enough frozen stash to last me another week. I've been considering donated milk but I just don't think I can do it...so I'm considering supplementing with 1 formula bottle per day. Do I need to introduce it slowly (ie 1 oz per bottle spread thought the day) or can I just make her nighttime bottle all formula? I feel so bad that she will have to get used to formula and then get used to whole milk in a few months, but unfortunately my body has a mind of its own...I've tried everything to boost supply...

Really??? You can get donated milk???? Where? And do you have to pay for it? I have never heard of this and am just curious as to how it works!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I personally could not do donor milk - LOL.  When I had the same issues with DS at that stage I just replaced that feeding with a solid meal (I was also EPing for him).  How much milk (in oz) are you missing? DS never took more than 4oz at a time. 

If that is not possible -- then I would just do one formula bottle at night before bed.  I would not bother with spreading it throughout the day because you might end up wasting your precious BM.  The rules for formula and BM are different.  You cant offer the bottle if there is formula in it for the next feeding if she did not finish it.  You can offer it again if it's BM.  That's why I would just give one formula bottle at night before bed.

Also - for the first couple of times I would def. give it a try early during the day to make sure there is no reaction to it.  If she is handling solids well, I'm sure she can handle the formula.  Don't feel bad.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Ds maxed out my supply at 7 months, and my LC told me to keep persevering- he was waking up every two hours to nurse for about two months during the night (5-7+ months) to get enough milk for the day.

She promised as LO began eating more table food, his needs would drastically decrease and that he was at his peak. She was right- he was taking about 40 oz a day at that point and is now taking 25. I was freaking out, but glad she was able to calm me. Just keep that in mind and do what is best for your family :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

February 2011- M/C
    March 2011- BFP resulting in... 12/2011 bouncing baby boy! 
    October 2013- BFP- M/C
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"