December 2011 Moms

ASL or Baby sign???

Hello~

I was just wondering if any of you mommies are doing ASL or Baby sign with your LO's?

My aunt did with all three of her kids and said she highly recomends it and to start when they start waving. I am on the fence so just wondering how you all feel about it?

Re: ASL or Baby sign???

• The only sign we regularly use is "milk" but I wouldn't mind learning a few common ones. 
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • we do milk, more, eat (before his solids), all done, please and thank you. he smiles when he sees it but we know it'll be awhile before he "gets" it.
    Baby Charchie born 12/22/2011
  • Loading the player...
  • sagoonsagoon member
    We do ASL signing.  Right now we only do signs for milk, more, all done, mommy, daddy, and dog, but we are planning on adding more soon.

Jan17 Sept Sig: Pumpkin Spice gone too far
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • ebd08ebd08 member

We're doing ASL.  I don't think he really gets it yet, but I have heard it helps with language development later on.  I try to use all the signs I can.  We have this book and it's really great!  

(Sorry, can't make it clicky) 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1401921590/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I've been doing the milk sign for several months and just started with several more.  He doesn't do any signs back yet but does recgonize the milk sign...he gets really excited because he knows it's time to eat!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's been hard to be regular about it, but we do try to do baby sign with DD. My husband never remembers so it's mostly my mom and I but she watches intently when we do it.  So far, the ones we do the most are "eat," "sleep," and "kiss."  She gets introduced to a lot more through her Baby Einstein dvd's but we forget to reinforce them.  I think she'll start doing it back to us over the next couple of months.
  • We are doing baby sign. Right now we just do milk, more, mommy and daddy. The only one he recognizes right now is milk. He can be super fussy and you can sign milk to him and he will smile and get excited :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • NeenyWNeenyW member
    imageebd08:

We're doing ASL.  I don't think he really gets it yet, but I have heard it helps with language development later on.  I try to use all the signs I can.  We have this book and it's really great!  

(Sorry, can't make it clicky) 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1401921590/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

We are doing ASL, just some basics for right now. She seems to understand what I'm doing, but can't do the signs herself just yet. 

I second the book recommended above. I'm actually taking classes with that author and use the book as a supplement (she's from my area). They also make a CD with songs you can sign to and DD LOVES it - https://www.amazon.com/Songs-For-Little-Hands-Activity/dp/1401917976/ref=la_B001JRZXE6_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1343676196&sr=1-4

I made the link clicky in the quoted post above as well.

• We are doing baby sign for all the common words mentioned above.  Will someone clarify how different baby sign is from ASL?  I was showing the signs to my FIL who used ASL with a hearing impaired grandchild and he recognized the signs I was showing him.  So I'm thinking they are similar?
  • NeenyWNeenyW member

imagekanga47s:
    We are doing baby sign for all the common words mentioned above.  Will someone clarify how different baby sign is from ASL?  I was showing the signs to my FIL who used ASL with a hearing impaired grandchild and he recognized the signs I was showing him.  So I'm thinking they are similar?

Baby sign is ASL. There is a book out there that makes up it's own signs, but for the most part any class/book will teach standard ASL signs.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"