Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Those who bottle feed--growth spurts? How do you know?

I have BF my LO and started a couple weeks ago weaning her so I could go back to work.  We are formula feeding now exclusively for about 4 days now...she was sleeping a good 5-6 hour stretch for the first part of the night up until 2 nights ago, when all of a sudden she won't go more than 2-3 hours before waking and feeding!  Since she is bottle fed is this a sign of a growth spurt?  I know growth spurts are easier to tell when they are BF because they literally cling to you all day and night wanting to feed, but how can you tell a growth spurt for a formula or bottle fed baby?  
Alicia Mrs. since 03.05.05 imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Those who bottle feed--growth spurts? How do you know?

• Options
    I'm a FTM so don't know about other babies but my DS will suck down the bottle fast and want to keep sucking when he is done. Then I just use trial and error, I'll put an extra ounce in his next bottle feeding and see if he drinks it all without spitting up. 
  • Options

imagemjledwith:
    I'm a FTM so don't know about other babies but my DS will suck down the bottle fast and want to keep sucking when he is done. Then I just use trial and error, I'll put an extra ounce in his next bottle feeding and see if he drinks it all without spitting up. 

This is what we do! I also look at how long between feedings. If they start getting closer together, then it's a sign LO might need more. You could try giving LO an extra ounce in their next bottle and see how it goes. 

Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageJess & Drew:

imagemjledwith:

This is what we do! I also look at how long between feedings. If they start getting closer together, then it's a sign LO might need more. You could try giving LO an extra ounce in their next bottle and see how it goes. 

This is what we did too. My LO was doing 4-4.5oz and now is consistantly wanting about 5.5oz sometimes (but rarely) 6oz. We keep an extra bottle with 4oz in it to add as she needs it (we've tried so many different ones we have plenty laying around lol).

• Options
    I'm a FTM but I think my LO went through a growth spurt right before he turned 6 weeks (he's 6 1/2 weeks now).  The two nights before he spent about 8 hours each night in his crib before waking up to eat.  He usually only goes 4-6 hours before waking us the first time.  Then the next 2 1/2 days he ate more formula than usual.  He was also fussier than usual, like something was bothering him.  Then he slept really well again for that next night.  Now he's back to his old routine, with a slight increase in how much formula he wants.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"