Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Tofu recipes and storage

I got some tofu to try out with LO.Anyone have some good recipes to do with it? I have never had it before, so I am at a loss.

Also, I am reading different things about how it should be stored once the package is opened? What is the best way to keep it fresh the longest?

TIA!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Tofu recipes and storage

• Options

Once you open it store it in a container and fill it with water until the tofu is covered.  It's recommended to change out the water daily, I would say every other day wouldn't kill it.

I've given the kids tofu as is, microwaved for a few seconds with rice, sauteed with other veggies, etc.  Today I made a panko-crusted tofu that DS really enjoyed.  Basically you cut the tofu into trianges and soak it in soy sauce, lemon/lime juice, and about 2 tsp of sugar for 5-10 min.  Dredge the tofu in cornstarch, then in a bowl with one beaten egg, and then in the panko.  Fry it up with oil until browned on both sides.  It's quite delicious.  DH even gets excited when I make it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you so much! I made this for LO and he is eating it right up!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh good!  I really like it myself.  Probably one of the very few ways I can eat a bunch of tofu.  Before I bought panko I used bread crumbs and that worked fine.  Although, now that I've tried panko I much prefer to use that for this recipe.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My son eats tofu a lot (good protein and easier to eat than chicken), but I rarely cook it.  I used it saute it with some butter and Mrs. Dash seasonings in the skillet, but he is impatient and doesn't seem to care.  Now I just cut off a slice and offer it warmed up (but not cooked).

I also didn't realize you were supposed to change out the water and mine lasts about 2 weeks in the fridge. I just poured the water that was in the package in a container. It will start to get a slimy kinda film on the top when its going bad. You can also freeze a portion of the block.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I used to puree it & mix with rice & veggies but now I just smash it or cut into tiny cubes and mix with veggies or avacado & rice. It really doesn't have much flavor but will take on the flavors you use with it. I use it for the protien not flavor since we're raising our LOs vegetarian like us. I haven't cooked it for LOs yet just giving it to them as is.

Store it in the fridge covered in water, you want to change water daily or every other day. You can also freeze it covered in water but it will become more rubbery after you thaw it and may be harder for LO to eat.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Wanted to add that it "fries" in its own juices, so no need to add oil if you want to cook it up.  

Both of the boys love it this way with a little teriyaki, hoisin, avocado wasabi dressing, etc. 

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"