Pregnant after 35
Options

Tiptoeing in......still can't believe it.....(intro)

It's fairly early for me, I'm probably only 10 or 11 DPO right now, but I've gotten 2 days of faint lines. So, a line is a line right?

I'm 39, DH is 41 and we've been trying for 3 months. So, needless to say w/all the info out there about "older" couples and their struggles to conceive, we're still standing around a little gobsmacked that this is happening so fast.

I went online to my doctor's appt portal and put in my request for my first appt today. I left a message saying I used a wondfo & frer, got light lines on both. I figured I was about 10DPO, but didn't temp just used a CBFM, so couldn't be sure.

Well, what I put in the comments apparently confounded them, so I got a call about it! Just about one of the funniest calls I've ever received. The girl was trying SO hard to be professional, but clearly there had been some conversation behind the scenes about the bat$hit crazy old pregnant lady leaving cryptic messages.

The only thing that made me go hmmmm, was the question tinged w/surprise, "So, this was a planned pregnancy?" Anyone else get that question from scheduling staff? Thought it was a little inappropriate, but maybe it's de rigeur?

Anyhow- HI! I'm happy to join you! :)

Re: Tiptoeing in......still can't believe it.....(intro)

• Options
    Welcome!  Happy and healthy 9 months.  I love my CBEFM.  A lot of OBGYN wait until 8 weeks to see you, but if you can get in early to have basic blood tests done, I would recommend it.  Doesn't hurt to check progesterone levels...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks kirac :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    jg1011jg1011 member

Welcome and congrats! I agree with PP. I went in for Blood work on 3 separate occasions (in week 5). They checked both HcG and Progesterone numbers each time. Not sure if this is their norm or because I was 38 at the time? Then saw the OB for 1st appointment between week 7 and 8.

The early blood work definitely gave me peace of mind as early on I didn't have very many pregnancy symptoms other than sore breasts.

Again, welcome...congrats...and best wishes for a healthy 9 months!

IMG_4550[1] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Congrats and Welcome!

What kind of dumb arsh question is that?!  Was it planned?  Weird.

• Options
    imagekat1221:

Congrats and Welcome!

What kind of dumb arsh question is that?!  Was it planned?  Weird.

Well I asked a friend if this is something that should raise a flag, but she said it can be pretty normal. Partic if it's a place that will give you resources if it's not planned and you would want other options. So, I'm just chalking it up to standard protocol.

Thanks for the welcome! :)

• Options
    Congrats! And Welcome!
    May PAL Siggy Challenge - Mom Humor
    TTC Since June 2009 
    BFP #1 - 1/15/12, EDD 9/21/12, Missed M/C - 2/10/12 - I miss you Sapphire!

BFP #2 - 7/1/12 - Met my lucky charm Alexandra on 3-16-13!!!

image image image 
    AL always welcome! 

• Options

YAY! That's so exciting! Here's to a healthy 9 months!

Like you I was 39 and my SO was 40 when we started TTC.  It took us 4 mos and I was so dang ecstatic. I was prepared to try for a year. 

I also got a lot of people asking if it was planned. Stupid people. I don't remember if anyone from my Dr.s office actually asked that though.  I think people assume that because we are "older" that it was an accident. That people actually ask though is beyond rude.

• Options
    FYI, the reason I suggest progesterone levels is that a friend of mine had low progesterone (she miscarried) and so did I, but normally they don't automatically check for that so it doesn't hurt to do so.  
  • Options

I think the OB's office asks in case you have been "partying" and/or taking vitamins and meds. 

• Options
    Congrats!
    BFP on IVF #2 6/29/2012. Beta #1 7/3 = 522; Beta #2 = 1180; Beta #3 = 6491 image BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    steverstever member
    Hi and welcome! I've never been asked if either of my pregnancies were planned, but it is my understanding that, per the extensive anecdotal evidence I've gleaned from The Bump, that most OB's are either unaware of or conemptuous of timed intercourse/OPK's etc.
  • Options

Congratulations and welcome. I'm new here too.

When I called my Dr.s office I told them I had been to a Reproductive Endochrinologist, so they new it was planned and they tagged me as a follow up visit since I already have confirmation from a doctor. This way they won't re-run the blood work.

I do think it is weird for them to ask if it was planned, but it may be standard.

Dx: PCOS and short luteal phase
    18 cycles (3 with our RE) - Metformin + Clomid + HCG booster did the trick!
    BFP #1 6/22/09 EDD: 3/2/10 DS born: 3/8/10

TTC #2 since Dec 2011
    BFP #2 7/8/12 EDD: 3/18/12 M/C @ 9w1d: 8/16/12

• Options

Welcome! The midwife I saw at my first appointment did ask if this was a planned pregnancy, but only after I told her that my kids are 9 and 6. She didn't say anything about my age, but when I told her how old my kids are, she said, "Oh, that's a big space. Were you trying to get pregnant?" In our case, the answer is no. We are quite surprised!

So, you must be do in April? I had my two children in April and in June. Spring is such a wonderful time to have a baby! This surprise child of ours is due in January. Not so idea, but oh well!

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"