School-Aged Children
Options

Back to school mail has started - where did summer go?

Just got my 1st piece of mail about the upcoming school year - from the before/after care program.  School starts in just over 5 weeks - where did summer go???  My older DD is starting Kindergarten and my little one is starting the schools amazing PreK program (located at the elementary).  So excited for my girls but so not ready to see summer end - we have lots still planned for the next 5 weeks which always means it goes by way to fast.

When does everyone go back to school?  My girls start on Wednesday, Sept 5th (1-12 starts on the 4th).  My sisters kids in Indy start on Aug 14th or 15th (can't remember which day.)

Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 

Re: Back to school mail has started - where did summer go?

• Options

DD starts school the day after Labor Day. Summer does seem to be flying by - and we've yet to take our vacation!  'Course we are also planning on vacationing the week before school starts as that is the only week that there are not any day camps available. And we're still trying to decide what we are doing; the way our vacation savings are going though we may not go anywhere and will do a staycation. Not a big deal as there is plenty to do around here but I know DH and I are both itching to hit the road. May be just as well since DS will only be 5mos. at the point and traveling with a baby on board is a lot different from traveling with older kids.

All that to say: I'm so in denial that summer is flying by. Cannot believe that August is next week. But Target keeps reminding me that school is right around the corner every time I go in the store.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My daughter starts K Aug 13. This summer has flown by. We already had our family vacation and she's went to her bio's family reunion. Between the vacations and the pregnancy coming to a (very slow) end. Summer just didnt seem long enough.
    I already did the majority of her school supply and clothes shopping. I refuesed to be caught off guard.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I report back Aug 8th and kids come Aug 14th
  • Options
    I was complaining to DH the same thing, we will start August 16TH, with welcome back activity starting on the 13th. We still have uniforms/shoes within the next couple of days, I'm so not ready. 
  • Options
    It is crazy to think that I will be getting their bus schedule and teacher assignments soon.  The next 4 weeks will fly by, I'm sure.  I'm just going to try to enjoy every minute of it. 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options
    JJEM98JJEM98 member
    My daughter goes back to school on Aug. 20th... she's already lamenting getting back into the homework routine.  I'm just crossing my fingers that her teacher is a good fit.  She'll be in 3rd grade this years and we have been so lucky to have great teachers that she really connected with so far.
    Daughter Emily - 10/28/03, and baby on the way makes 4! Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    KL777KL777 member

Not quite school age over here but DS starts Pre-Kindergarten on August 20th.  Already purchased his school uniforms and all of his school supplies.

I'm like you, I still have a lot of stuff on our fun summer agenda for it to be approaching its end soon.  We did just get back from out of town from a great family reunion.  It was held at a very nice location and venue so it was also like a vacation :-)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• Options

My kids start on 8/27.  I have to report for teacher pre-service week on 8/20 -- the earliest I've ever had to be in school.  I'm counting down the last few days we have to do all the fun stuff we wanted to do over the summer. 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options

My daughter has an hour of K on Aug 17th and then her first full day will be Aug 21st.  They slowly introduce the kids to K I guess because A-M goes all day on Aug 20th and N-Z goes all day on Aug 21st and then all kids go full day together on Aug 22nd. 

And be happy you get mail!  I'm already pissed at the school's communication and school hasn't even started!  Thankfully I'm OCD and I was preparing for deployment a couple months back and looked up when my husband would have to register my daughter for K and found out that we had to do PRE-registration for K and it was a week after I looked on their website.  No letters, nothing so I would have missed it if I wasn't OCD.  Well, they gave us all of the information on supplies and that we will have to come back in August to register AGAIN and gave us the date, time and location (Aug 7th at the elementary school).  Well, deployment got pushed back a couple months and I am now re-planning and once again deciding to be OCD for some reason looked at their website.  Registration changed!  COMPLETELY!!  Thankfully, it moved back a day, but it changed locations.  So my husband would have shown up on the wrong day in the wrong location!  But there was no mail or anything!  We pre-registered and what you told us at pre-registration changed!  You think they would have sent out a letter or called or something since they have our information.  Nope!  Needless to say, I'm not too happy about the communication right now and I'm really hoping it improves!  I shouldn't have to stalk their website for information constantly.  I should be provided information, especially when something changes!

• Options
    imageshortj:

My daughter has an hour of K on Aug 17th and then her first full day will be Aug 21st.  They slowly introduce the kids to K I guess because A-M goes all day on Aug 20th and N-Z goes all day on Aug 21st and then all kids go full day together on Aug 22nd. 

And be happy you get mail!  I'm already pissed at the school's communication and school hasn't even started!  Thankfully I'm OCD and I was preparing for deployment a couple months back and looked up when my husband would have to register my daughter for K and found out that we had to do PRE-registration for K and it was a week after I looked on their website.  No letters, nothing so I would have missed it if I wasn't OCD.  Well, they gave us all of the information on supplies and that we will have to come back in August to register AGAIN and gave us the date, time and location (Aug 7th at the elementary school).  Well, deployment got pushed back a couple months and I am now re-planning and once again deciding to be OCD for some reason looked at their website.  Registration changed!  COMPLETELY!!  Thankfully, it moved back a day, but it changed locations.  So my husband would have shown up on the wrong day in the wrong location!  But there was no mail or anything!  We pre-registered and what you told us at pre-registration changed!  You think they would have sent out a letter or called or something since they have our information.  Nope!  Needless to say, I'm not too happy about the communication right now and I'm really hoping it improves!  I shouldn't have to stalk their website for information constantly.  I should be provided information, especially when something changes!

Man, that would drive me nuts.  OUr school is the opposite and I feel like I often get information overload.  They have a system that does an automated call plus you can sign up to get stuff via email so I get a lot of stuff 2x.  They also have a great online system where I can check on homework, the overall calendar, pay for meals, report if DD will miss school and email back and forth with the teacher or office staff.  I feel so lucky that the school district is very into technology and uses it all really, really well.  I have already been able to sign my DD up for the school release days program and gotten her meal credit thing set up and school starts in about a month! 
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"