Adoption
Options

So we turned in our official application...

and I'm sitting here refreshing my email every 30 seconds, my phone never leaves my side, and pretty soon my postal worker is going to feel stalked.

How soon after your acceptance with an agency did you start your home study? 

They said our home study could take 4-5 months with 6 visits. I'm just trying to figure out step by step, based on the guide they gave us, when we could potentially be on the waiting list for BMs.

Basically because now my mind is racing 24/7 and I just wanna get on with it. The ball is rolling now.

If I'm this crazy just waiting on acceptance from our agency, how am I going to deal with waiting potentially years for a match? 

:::FOLLOW MY HALF MARATHON TRAINING:::

:::Our Adoption Journey:::

Evan James was born 1/24/13 and matched with us 2/20/13. The LOVE OF MY LIFE!!!

Re: So we turned in our official application...

• Options
    Wow 6 visits?!  What kind of adoption are you doing?  Also it varies state to state.  I'm in NC doing domestic infant adoption and they only require us to do 2 home visits (then I'll have to do a couple post placement visits). The company I chose to do my home study with said they make it their policy to have your home study finalized within 30 days of the second visit (though NC technically allows them 90 days), so that would make my home study take 6 weeks altogether.  I was very quick at getting everything together though, and I shopped around until I found an agency that worked quickly.  Good luck!
    Married Since 09/2006, TTC Since 09/2010 
    DX: Unexplained infertility, DH normal 
    3 Femara cycles - Oct, Nov, Dec 2011, all BFNs 
    IVF #1, ER 2/15 (5R, 4M, 4F), ET 2/18, Beta 2/29 = BFN :( 
    Follistim + IUI on 6/25 = BFN 
    Home Study Finalized 8/14/12! Profile Active - 8/17/12! 
    Officially Matched 8/29/12, Our perfect angel born 9/25/12! 
    Biggest surprise ever, unexpected BFP on 4/12/13! 

Our Angel through Adoption
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Our Little Miracle
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Well 5 of those 6 are actually at their main offices with our social worker, the last one is the only one in our home. I guess I thought that was normal? Maybe not! Maybe we picked a rather "intense" agency! :) We're doing newborn infant domestic.

Thanks for the info!

:::FOLLOW MY HALF MARATHON TRAINING:::

:::Our Adoption Journey:::

Evan James was born 1/24/13 and matched with us 2/20/13. The LOVE OF MY LIFE!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageMush-Tastic:

Well 5 of those 6 are actually at their main offices with our social worker, the last one is the only one in our home. I guess I thought that was normal? Maybe not! Maybe we picked a rather "intense" agency! :) We're doing newborn infant domestic.

Thanks for the info!

It also could be your "agency" policy.  I am using an adoption attorney, not an agency.  It was a tough decision but ultimately, the only agency we felt comfortable with isn't accepting applicants right now and we wanted to move forward.  So far it has been going well for us, and I think having all of you will help throughout the entire process.

Good luck!

Married Since 09/2006, TTC Since 09/2010 
    DX: Unexplained infertility, DH normal 
    3 Femara cycles - Oct, Nov, Dec 2011, all BFNs 
    IVF #1, ER 2/15 (5R, 4M, 4F), ET 2/18, Beta 2/29 = BFN :( 
    Follistim + IUI on 6/25 = BFN 
    Home Study Finalized 8/14/12! Profile Active - 8/17/12! 
    Officially Matched 8/29/12, Our perfect angel born 9/25/12! 
    Biggest surprise ever, unexpected BFP on 4/12/13! 

Our Angel through Adoption
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Our Little Miracle
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageMush-Tastic:

Thanks for the info!

We are the same way, but with 5 visits instead of 6.  I got paperwork for my home study from my agency within 2 weeks of signing.  We just had our first visit yesterday.  She was talking about how we could speed things up by getting our stuff in fast instead of taking our time with it like some people apparently do.  I was like, expect the stuff tomorrow.  LOL.  I'm sure I'll be a mess while we are waiting and there is nothing to do to speed up the process.  Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We sent ours in the end of May and got contact after about a week. We had our pre-homestudy meeting mid-June, and spent June, July, and August putting everything together for our homestudy (autobiographies, 2 more meetings with the SW, fingerprints, clearances, etc). We had our home visit mid-September, and had our homestudy report mid-October.

• Options
    IRRIRR member
    WOW, I guess we got off easy.  One office visit, one home visit which I wasn't even present for and then a full day of classes at the agency.  Some classes online and that was it.  We handed our paperwork in right after thanksgiving and were approved with everything in February.  Some of it was our doing since we couldn't get medical appointments until the end of January, based on my Dr's schedule.  GL. 

Failed Matches - December 2012, May 2013, December 2013
    Moved on to  gestational surrogacy with a family friend who is our angel and due 7/23/15

• Options
    No advice since we are very early in our adoption journey. However, I wanted to say good luck :)
  • Options
    imageMush-Tastic:

If I'm this crazy just waiting on acceptance from our agency, how am I going to deal with waiting potentially years for a match? 

^ That is SO me! haha With us, we were in constant contact with our agency (daily emails and phone calls) getting everything ready from December to April. The hard part is that once we hit April (the start of our wait), we haven't been able to do anything! No lie- every time my phone rings and I don't know the # (regardless of area code) a tiny part of me thinks "is this it?!" It's crazy!

Hooray for the ball rolling!  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

wife to joe 2.2.08. mama to noah 9.5.09.
    After multiple m/c's, a MTHFR diagnosis and the Lord calling both of our hearts in the same direction, we're adopting!
    theluckiest
    Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"