School-Aged Children

Stealing food

Does anyone have any advice on how to put an end to this? My son was doing it previously, stopped, and has now started again. When no one is around he is taking snack food, sugar packets, cereal, frozen cans of juice, ice cream containers, etc from the fridge and cupboards, eating them, and trying to hide the evidence. I already have to lock (as in with a padlock) all the cereal, treats, and the majority of our snack foods in the pantry because I would be packing school lunches and find out half the boxes were empty.

He gets enough to eat and drink, I don't understand why he feels the need to sneak around. I've tried talking to him to find out why but all he says is "I don't know". I don't know what else to try, I'm at my wits end.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: Stealing food

• ppantsppants member
    I don't have any advice, but here's a ((HUG)). Given this situation and your pp about SD and the "D" word, maybe some family counseling is in order.
    Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
  • imagemrs_sexy:
    I don't have any advice, but here's a ((HUG)). Given this situation and your pp about SD and the "D" word, maybe some family counseling is in order.
    I think this sounds about right. Most food issues have some sort of a psychological root.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageKaeldrasmommy:
    imagemrs_sexy:
    I think this sounds about right. Most food issues have some sort of a psychological root.

I don't understand where it would stem from though. DH and I have very healthy attitudes toward food and health and always have. There has been no point in time where we have stressed about weight, diet, body image etc at all, let alone in front of the kids. How could a 6 year old just suddenly develop those issues?

DS has ADHD as well, which I didn't think could be relevant in my OP, but now that I'm thinking about it from a psychological point of view, I am wondering if his impulsivity could be a contributing factor.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• imagepeacelove&mama:

imageKaeldrasmommy:
    imagemrs_sexy:

I don't understand where it would stem from though. DH and I have very healthy attitudes toward food and health and always have. There has been no point in time where we have stressed about weight, diet, body image etc at all, let alone in front of the kids. How could a 6 year old just suddenly develop those issues?

DS has ADHD as well, which I didn't think could be relevant in my OP, but now that I'm thinking about it from a psychological point of view, I am wondering if his impulsivity could be a contributing factor.

A lot of disorders entail food issues that you wouldn't expect. My oldest has reactive attachment disorder and has a lot of issues with food as a means of control. Eating habits are very closely related to your emotional state. 

Impulsivity is probably a factor. Is he on any meds for his ADHD? That could be part of it too.

• imageKaeldrasmommy:
    imagepeacelove&mama:

imageKaeldrasmommy:
    imagemrs_sexy:

A lot of disorders entail food issues that you wouldn't expect. My oldest has reactive attachment disorder and has a lot of issues with food as a means of control. Eating habits are very closely related to your emotional state. 

Impulsivity is probably a factor. Is he on any meds for his ADHD? That could be part of it too.

He was, but he's off them for the summer. In about a month he'll be back on, so I'll have to talk to the doctor then since it would take that long just to get an appointment anyway. I did a little googling and found a lot of info on the subject of ADHD and food which is comforting in a way, to know that I'm not the only one, which is how I feel a lot of the time.

• imagepeacelove&mama:
    imageKaeldrasmommy:
    imagepeacelove&mama:

imageKaeldrasmommy:
    imagemrs_sexy:

He was, but he's off them for the summer. In about a month he'll be back on, so I'll have to talk to the doctor then since it would take that long just to get an appointment anyway. I did a little googling and found a lot of info on the subject of ADHD and food which is comforting in a way, to know that I'm not the only one, which is how I feel a lot of the time.

You're definitely not the only one! I'm constantly disgusted and more than a little annoyed at the kids eating habits. There are always food wrappers in their rooms even though it's not allowed, DD opened a can of black eyed peas instead of beans to make herself a burrito the other day and ruined plans for a whole meal. Very irritating.
  • I completely understand your frustration; I have the same problems with my DD. And she ADHD also. I do believe it is a control and self-comfort issue. She has gotten better about it as she has gotten older if that is any comfort to you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageKCD053109:
    I completely understand your frustration; I have the same problems with my DD. And she ADHD also. I do believe it is a control and self-comfort issue. She has gotten better about it as she has gotten older if that is any comfort to you.

It feels so good to find out in not the only one going through this, and to hear that as time goes on it will get better. I don't know anyone in my town who has children with ADHD so I feel very alone, and embarrassed sometimes by his behaviors, so it's extremely comforting to post on here and get responses from people in the same situation. 

Kaeldrasmommy, that's exactly how I feel when I'm in his room helping him organize. Everywhere I turn it seems there's something hidden. I once found moldy orange peel behind his dresser and I wanted to scream, throw up, and cry all at once. 

• I want to ask; is that your SD and DS in your siggy? If so - he looks so tall! Is he the same height even with the 3 year age difference? My DD is a major curve buster and at almost 9 has been able to easily blend in, physically, with 11 and 12 years olds since she was 7.
  • imageKCD053109:
    I want to ask; is that your SD and DS in your siggy? If so - he looks so tall! Is he the same height even with the 3 year age difference? My DD is a major curve buster and at almost 9 has been able to easily blend in, physically, with 11 and 12 years olds since she was 7.

Yes it is! He actually has an inch or so on her, but the ground in the picture isn't level so you can't tell. He towers above all the other kids in his class. To me they all look so small and fragile, because I'm used to DS being so big.

I swear, he's gonna be taller than me by the time he's a teenager. Scary.

• imagepeacelove&mama:

I swear, he's gonna be taller than me by the time he's a teenager. Scary.

Haha! KNOW that feeling; DD is already closing in on 5'2"? just under a foot away from looking mama in the eyes. They need to stop growing up so fast!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"