School-Aged Children

Summer feet

On a scale of 1 to 10, tell me how you feel about boys wearing sandals with socks.

The sandals are dark colored, sporty sandals that are black/blue/grey neoprene and rubber with velcro.  The socks are white.  The boy in question is 6. 

1 = I think it's cute

10 = Totally dorky 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade

Re: Summer feet

• KL777KL777 member
    In my opinion, sandals are to be worn to cool you off during high temperatures---so adding socks to sandals, to me, defeats the purpose.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• rsd12rsd12 member
    not worth an argument in my house (unless it is a special occassion ; ) my 6 yr old loves socks and crocks... and does it on purpose. Heck, keeps his feet cleaner... my 2yr old has permament dirt on his toes from living in his crocs this summer! I hate it, but I don't think other kids his age care.
    Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
  • Loading the player...
  • rsd12rsd12 member
    image-auntie-:

There is no justifable excuse for wearing socks of any style or color with any sandals of any kind under any circumstances excepting soccer slides as a temporary option pre or post a sporting event. It's just plain wrong. in my house, one can choose sandals or one can choose socks.

Don't get me started on Crocs. FWIW, I own a pair but they only garden, wash cars and attend camp.

We are talking about kids right? Personally I love crocs for kids (only), easy to clean, never smell, and my 2 yr old can take on/off his own shoes (not sure how this became a croc bashing post). What a concept. And they make them in cool 6 yr old boy styles... I crack up when my kids wear there socks with them. Actually my 2 yr old wore crocs and socks all winterr long ; )
  • 5 - I am totally indifferent on the subject.  They are kids, who cares if they are wearing socks with sandals.  The only place I would side-eye it would be at church on Sunday.
  • rsd12rsd12 member
    image-auntie-:
    imagersd12:
    image-auntie-:

There is no justifable excuse for wearing socks of any style or color with any sandals of any kind under any circumstances excepting soccer slides as a temporary option pre or post a sporting event. It's just plain wrong. in my house, one can choose sandals or one can choose socks.

Don't get me started on Crocs. FWIW, I own a pair but they only garden, wash cars and attend camp.

We are talking about kids right? Personally I love crocs for kids (only), easy to clean, never smell, and my 2 yr old can take on/off his own shoes (not sure how this became a croc bashing post). What a concept. And they make them in cool 6 yr old boy styles... I crack up when my kids wear there socks with them. Actually my 2 yr old wore crocs and socks all winterr long ; )

Meant to be a humorous post. I guess you didn't get that.

Yeah, I don't like Crocs. I don't think they're cute and I'm entitled to my opinion. They sort of remind me of the plastic slipcovers some folks put on their good sofa. I'm sure they make life easier, but I don't care to go there. I don't like Velcro shoes either and never bought any for anyone I have to look at on a daily basis.

Yes, your are entitled to your opinion, but I don't believe the question was whether or not YOU like crocs ; )
  • Socks and sandals don't mix.  My kids will ever so often wear socks with their Keens and I hate it.  I just think it looks funny and if you feel the need to wear socks, put on sneakers.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • I feel like socks and sandals are weird together.  My DS has mild sensory issues, and when summer first rolls around, he resists sandals and shorts for a few days.  During the first warm days of the year, he'll often appear dressed in shorts, socks, and sandals.  Sometimes the socks don't even match, but I think the Y chromosome is behind this rather than the sensory issues.

Regardless, I always tell him he has to choose: sandals by themselves or socks with sneakers.

If I had a toddler or preschooler who was VERY wiggy about sandals on bare feet, I would probably roll with the sandals/socks combo, or look for some other footwear choice that was acceptable to my kid and my sense of propriety.

Read my update/new post above to find out why I'm asking about this. 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade

I really think its ugly. It just looks stupid. DH gets "the look" if he even picks up his sandals while wearing socks. DS (who is 6) wears crocs, and occasionally he'll wear socks with them. I let him. He's a kid, and since he was old enough to, I let him dress himself. I'm not going to make him run back inside to either change his shoes or take off his socks just because I think it looks ridiculous. I just don't look at his feet :) 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"