September 2012 Moms
Options

Joining the L&D Trip Club (plus: wreck)

This is incredibly long. Sorry about that.

Some of you may remember that I did not have a good day yesterday.

Well, it got worse (though we are very lucky and neither of us are badly injured). My 2 year old and I were heading to pick up DH from work when an idiot decided to get out of the right heavy traffic lane into the mostly clear left lane....right into my car. We'd only made it about 4 blocks from home.

He did an impressive amount of damage to my car. It is still driveable, but you can't open the passenger door and the back passenger door is badly dented (doesn't close flush). The brakes sound bad and we know at least something fell off  the bottom (I have no idea what it was. It looked like a weird rubbery cup holder). The best news is that DS is just fine. He yelled out with the wreck because it freaked him out, but just as an advertisement to Britax, he came out completely unscathed and was mostly thrilled to see a fire truck and an ambulance. Fire men talked to him!

I really jarred my right shoulder, and the pain spread up my neck and into my head and ear(!) even. I think I was shifting gears at the time and the tension on that arm at impact is what hurt me. My lower abdomen is also incredibly sore where my seat belt did its job. I'm pretty sure I was in shock for a while. Everything was surreal, especially after DS stopped being my primary responsibility. DH said I looked despondent for a long time and I totally forgot my address for a good minute or two while talking to the police.

I also, of course, started contracting. At first my uterus was just rock hard for about 20 minutes. Then I started having regular contractions. It started about 6 an hour and slowly subsided. They offered me a ride in an ambulance, but I wanted to take care of DS first.

Did I mention that we were on the way to get DH, otherwise known as my hero? I called him before calling the police (it made sense at the time) and told him where I was and to get there somehow *now*. I told him DS was fine. He asked if I was okay and apparently I said, "I don't know." Nice going, Terri... Luckily we were only about a mile away from him. It was vanishingly close to 100 here yesterday, no clue what the heat index was. He took off his nice business shirt, tucked it into his pants, and RAN the whole way to the wreck (and neither of us is super athletic). He beat the ambulance and fire truck!!

So anyway, we called our babysitter who is amazing and told us to bring him over right away and plan for him to stay the night (then absolutely refused payment this morning). We got him settled and DH took me to the hospital (where I'll deliver).

By the time I got there, my contractions were only coming about 3-4 an hour. First I got checked out in the ER for my arm. The ER doctor told me there was no long-term damage, that I'd feel like sh!t for several days,and gave me Tylenol. He said that was all he was willing to give a pregnant lady. From there they transferred me to L&D where I spent several hours being monitored.

Baby's heartbeat was great! She kept moving the monitor around, which was pretty crazy feeling. My contractions subsided and eventually went away. The best part of my visit to L&D? The (amazing) nurse (who I hope to see again for my labor) told the resident that I really needed better pain management, and she called my doctor. My dr agreed and prescribed me vicodin and ambien. Also, a one time dose of ibuprofen. It was pretty hilarious that the nurse brushed off the first two but went on and on assuring me that the ibuprofen would be okay to take. This morning the doctor told me that a great side effect of vicodin is it is a cough suppressant, so I guess the nurse/resident told my doctor how bad my cough still sounds as well! 

I finally got to leave the hospital and go get my first real meal since 1pm (I had had a snack at 4...I think we got to Denny's at 11) but instead of getting to enjoy it....I ended up throwing up the whole world. The only gripe I have about the hospital is why they decided to give anyone (much less a pregnant woman with GD) so much medication on an empty stomach. After I got home I went straight to sleep and thanks to the meds and my 2 year old being elsewhere, I actually got the best sleep I have in a while.

So anyway. Today is better by default. I'm sore as hell. Trying to control mainly with tylenol, vicodin at beditme and when I really need it.  We're still waiting to hear back from insurance about getting our car fixed. I'm also seriously pissed off about having to buy a new car seat for DS, when we still need to buy a car seat for DD.

Just wanted to let you ladies know about my excitement.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Joining the L&D Trip Club (plus: wreck)

• Options
    Glad you're mostly ok. Your insurance...or theirs since this was their fault...should cover the cost of a replacement carseat!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Oh, no!  That's so scary!  Glad you and DS (and baby!) are okay.  

FYI - your insurance may cover the cost of a new seat!  USAA replaced both of our Britax seats after our crash last year, no questions asked.  We ordered them and submitted the receipt and were reimbursed.  

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Manx4Manx4 member

I'm so glad you & DS & LO are OK - bottom line! 

As for the car seat, your insurance should cover a new one correct?  I thought that was standard but I could be wrong.  

Take it easy and rest up, hopefully you're feeling back to your old self by the time LO shows up.  :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageilovelife:
    Glad you're mostly ok. Your insurance...or theirs since this was their fault...should cover the cost of a replacement carseat!

This. You shouldn't have to pay out of pocket for the seat.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I'm glad to hear that you are OK. I'm sorry you have to deal with this headache, though!

Married: 11/2011
    DS-9/2012
    DD-7/2015
    Sweet Angel Boy born too soon 12/17/17
    EDD-4/2019

• Options

Terri that is so scary! I'm so glad you, DS and your LO are okay. And kudos to DH for being such a super husband and runner yesterday Smile

Take it easy! 

• Options

Ohmigosh, I'm glad you and DS are relatively unscathed and that your hospital took good care of you. 

Also, your DH is awesome to run all the way there in the heat.   

• Options
    imagemlf625:

Oh, no!  That's so scary!  Glad you and DS (and baby!) are okay.  

FYI - your insurance may cover the cost of a new seat!  USAA replaced both of our Britax seats after our crash last year, no questions asked.  We ordered them and submitted the receipt and were reimbursed.  

Seconded!

Also, definitely check with your insurance. We have friends who got their car seat replaced by USAA, also. I hope your insurance covers it with no problem.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersimage
    partial molar pregnancy : bfp 6.28.10, d/c 8.17.10, 7 rounds methotrexate, cleared 7.1.11
    alexander patrick : bfp 1.16.12, born 9.20.12 @ 39w1d, 7 lbs./11 oz./22 in.
    scarlett irene elizabeth : bfp 5.24.13, born 2.3.14 @ 41w2d, 7 lbs./13 oz./19 in.
  • Options
    omg, how scary! Thank goodness you are all ok. I hope you start feeling better soon.

• Options
    Glad to hear you, DS and LO are ok. 

Baby #2 on its way - EDD June 4th!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Holy cow, Mama. That's so scary. Glad all of you are ok. 

That's so sweet/crazy that your H ran to the scene. Bless his heart. 

Not in TX any more! - Central PA
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    im very glad you, DS, and baby are all ok!! i hate stupid drivers who pay absolutely no attention.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Glad to hear you, DS, and DD are doing well! What a scary episode! ::hug::
  • Options
    So glad you, DS and LO are all ok. That's such a relief. But seriously...picturing your DH running to the accident made me tear up. What a great guy! I hope the pain subsides quickly and all the insurance BS isn't too much of a headache for you.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I am so glad to hear everyone is doing well after that scary day!  Get plenty of rest, and I hope you feel better soon!
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagetonir319:

Terri that is so scary! I'm so glad you, DS and your LO are okay. And kudos to DH for being such a super husband and runner yesterday Smile

Take it easy! 

All of this! Yes

Oh also...I work for State Farm and we always 100% cover the cost of car seat replacement!

Cooper Edward

• Options
    Oh my gosh.. I am so glad you all made it out okay! 
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Oh man!  I am so glad you're all ok and well taken care of by YH and the docs/nurses. I hope insurance gets back to you soon and the carseat is included!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm so glad you and DS are okay. How scary!!  Your babysitter sounds awesome.  I hope you get lots of time to rest and relax so you can feel better soon.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
  • Options
    What a mess! I'm glad that everyone is okay, and I hope you heal quickly!!
  • Options
    Glad you guys are okay! That is so scary :(  I teared up reading it.  USAA should take care of that car seat like everyone else is mentioning.  I have USAA too, and I do believe I've heard this same thing.  PS, whats up with the insurance of the person that hit you?  Please tell me he didnt flee the scene.
    Dexter 08/31/2012~Summer 07/25/2011~Jack 10/21/2008~Aaron 08/12/2007
  • Options

So glad you and DS and baby are all okay! Hopefully the aches and pains go away quickly!

And way to go DH for running to the scene!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • Options
    Wow - what an exciting day for you guys [to put it mildly]. I'm glad all of you are OK and hope you get to feeling better soon!
    ________________________________________________________________________________

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    Oh my word! Glad you all are ok and got such good care!! Rest up, girl and feel better!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Yikes! So scary! Glad to hear everyone's ok. I hope you feel better soon and that everything (insurance, car seat) gets sorted smoothly!
  • Options

Glad to hear you, DS and LO are all okay.  I am super paranoid about driving anywhere anymore because I know how many idiots are on the road and might crash into me......

Hope you feel better soon and that your car gets fixed up quickly!

• Options
    Oh my goodness, what a scare!  I am glad to hear that you and your babies are (mostly) okay.  Though I am sorry that you're going through this.  Yuck!
  • Options
    So glad to hear you are ok. Hopefully you'll be able to get a new carseat through the insurance. That guy better take responsiblity for what he did!
  • Options

imageOceanLover26:
    Glad you guys are okay! That is so scary :(  I teared up reading it.  USAA should take care of that car seat like everyone else is mentioning.  I have USAA too, and I do believe I've heard this same thing.  PS, whats up with the insurance of the person that hit you?  Please tell me he didnt flee the scene.

He didn't flee. He looked very contrite the whole time, actually, and if he tried to deny anything it wasn't obvious. He also got a ticket. The police implied he had insurance and DH thinks he was driving a Lexus (H asked me and I was like, "Um. It was a car. It was kinda gold-ish colored??") so I'm not worried about that. We are still waiting for USAA to call us back, which is pretty frustrating. H filed a claim online while we were at the hospital last night and they were supposed to call us this morning. I want to know about getting the car fixed/rental/all that jazz. Right now it hurts to drive (stick shift) and sitting in the backseat of our car makes me car sick when I'm *not* pregnant, so not having  a functional passenger door really puts a cramp in our options.

Thanks for reading my long story, everyone! I've been reading all the pro-H stuff out loud to him.  This after everything else that is going on right now has just completely depleted him and he needs all the positive vibes you ladies are sending him.

• Options
    skyejoskyejo member
    OMG, Terri--I'm so glad that everyone is okay.  How incredibly scary.
  • Options

Scary!!  I seriously teared up at the thought of you DH running to you guys (pregnancy hormones!).  But seriously, what an amazing husband.  I can only picture how scared my DH would be if the two of us were in a crash.

Ditto to all the comments about insurance covering the carseat.  Usually they reimburse w/ receipt, allowing you to go out and purchase it right away.

DH was in a *minor* rear-ending accident, DS wasn't in the car, but insurance still replaced the seat since there is no way of knowing the extent of damage it could have taken from the crash.

Good luck and take care of yourself!! 

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• Options

Oh no!

Insurance should cover the new car seat cost-def look I to it! 

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• Options

Good news! USAA is awesome. :)

I'm researching new car seats right now (didn't like the one we had anyway: too big for 2 carseats in the back) and then H can go buy one and USAA will reimburse within 24 hours!

They said it may take 7-10 days to process with other insurance company as far as fixing the car goes, but that is okay for now. We can drive it as is.

They also said to keep up with all medical expenses and other expenses (including H being home from work caring for me and DS today) and after Hazel is born we'll do one big claim (to make sure there is no damage to her that we don't know about yet) and they'll go after the other insurance company for reimbursement and a settlement. A settlement hadn't even occured to us. I mean, not that I want them to pay inappropriately, but this has been so stressful and painful (and oh god it turns out it is the vicodin that makes me nauseated) and just way more than we need to deal with right now. It's nice to know something good may come of it.

If only they would pay for long-term babysitting and a spa weekend for DH and I now. ;) We certainly need it.

• Options
    I'm glad you are ok. The insurance company was really great at getting is a new seat when Dh has in an accident earlier this year. He was rear ended while in traffic. Our insurance covered the carseat, even though he wasn't at fault and they were pretty quick about it. Hopefully you will find the same to be true. Try to rest and take it easy as much as possible. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imageterri_doula2010:

Good news! USAA is awesome. :)

I'm researching new car seats right now (didn't like the one we had anyway: too big for 2 carseats in the back) and then H can go buy one and USAA will reimburse within 24 hours!

They said it may take 7-10 days to process with other insurance company as far as fixing the car goes, but that is okay for now. We can drive it as is.

They also said to keep up with all medical expenses and other expenses (including H being home from work caring for me and DS today) and after Hazel is born we'll do one big claim (to make sure there is no damage to her that we don't know about yet) and they'll go after the other insurance company for reimbursement and a settlement. A settlement hadn't even occured to us. I mean, not that I want them to pay inappropriately, but this has been so stressful and painful (and oh god it turns out it is the vicodin that makes me nauseated) and just way more than we need to deal with right now. It's nice to know something good may come of it.

If only they would pay for long-term babysitting and a spa weekend for DH and I now. ;) We certainly need it.

I'm not one to usually say this (since again, I work at State Farm) but yes, USAA's got a great claims dept! They're very prompt and I have had nothing but luck with them over the 8 years I've filed claims against them. I'm very happy that things are going so smoothly for you and that's awesome that you're getting the money back so fast for the car seat. State Farm usually doesn't reimburse until the end. Great news!

Cooper Edward

• Options
    Oh MY!!! I am glad that all 3 of you are ok!! Take it easy and I really hope things start looking up for you. 
                         Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Glad you are all OK. How scary!  
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I am so sorry this happened to you, but so glad everyone is ok. I definitely would but the cost of the carseat through insurance.
  • Options
    kjskjskjskjs member
    So glad you're ok and also major props to your hubby!
    imageimage
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    You have had a tough couple days! Glad all 3 of you are alright!  Glad USAA is taking care of you. We just switched all our policies over to then. And that really sucks since you guys only have one car!  Hope it all works out for you! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"