2nd Trimester
Options

Smoking Weed after giving birth?

So my neighbor just had a baby 10 days ago.

last night i had my patio open and got a wiff of god awful pot! I walked out to the back and there she was with her husband puffing away! WHAT a LOSER! i guess shes not BFing? WEED? Really? Clutch the pearls!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Smoking Weed after giving birth?

• Options
    Wow.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    At first I was going to say at least they were smoking outside, but then I remembered that the smoke stays on your clothes, breath, and skin. The poor baby.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imageMidwestSeashell:

ehhhh, i'm in the minority for sure but i don't think it's a big deal at all. i'd be more concerned about eating fast food, pharmaceuticals and drinking soda than a little herb now and then and i'm not even a ganja smoker.

how do you feel about new moms drinking alcohol? 

I was about to say the same. Since weed isn't treated with chemicals the way tobacco is, I'm not at all sure the whole "third hand smoke" thing is even an issue in this case. 

I personally don't smoke because it would be illegal for me to do so (and frankly wouldn't even if it were; personal preference) but you best believe I'll be knocking back a few 10 days after LO makes her exit. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    imageMidwestSeashell:

ehhhh, i'm in the minority for sure but i don't think it's a big deal at all. i'd be more concerned about eating fast food, pharmaceuticals and drinking soda than a little herb now and then and i'm not even a ganja smoker.

The difference is alcohol is not illegal.  I'm not a smoker anyway, but even if I was tempted to I certainly wouldn't because I'd be scared to death of being arrested, social services getting involved, etc. 

• Options
    imagesschwege:
    imageMidwestSeashell:

The difference is alcohol is not illegal.  I'm not a smoker anyway, but even if I was tempted to I certainly wouldn't because I'd be scared to death of being arrested, social services getting involved, etc. 

True. But, it's not illegal everywhere. 
  • Options
    imageDelBride2012:
    imagesschwege:
    imageMidwestSeashell:

Is pot not decriminalized in every state yet? In CA possession is only a felony if you have more than 1 oz. If someone has that much on them, it's most likely that they're dealing. I don't think you can get your kids taken away for smoking pot either. I mean, unless you're doing it right in front of them and giving them a contact high.

I would think being intoxicated while taking care of your baby would be a lot more dangerous.

| R 11/22/12  |  L 03/14/14 |
  • Options
    I'm going to make an assumption that she likely did it while pregnant, too. People are stupid.
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • Options
    imageAri1028:

It must be the Californian in me, but I don't think this is a big deal. As long as she's not breast feeding and she washes her hands and changes clothes, who cares? Some new moms drink and smoke cigarettes after giving birth... would you see that as a big deal? I actually know mothers who smoke marijuana after giving birth to help with the pain. So yeah, I don't judge this. I don't know why you mentioned that they're professional people. Are you honestly that surprised that not all pot smokers are low lifes?

Now clutch your pearls at this. Some women with severe hyperemesis smoke *gasp* god awful pot while pregnant. Their DOCTORS actually prescribe it to them when no other medication works. Guess what? Their babies are actually born healthy and normal.

Yes agree. personal choices; doesn't make them "LOSERS" people do way worse even DURING pregnancy, give her a break...the worst she probably did was crack open a bag of cheetos and have a laugh, the cheetos are probably worse for her then the "god awful pot"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    imageAimeeL85:
    I'm going to make an assumption that she likely did it while pregnant, too. People are stupid.
    And I was assuming she didn't, which is why her neighbor only noticed now. Either of us could be wrong, of course. 
  • Options
    imageAri1028:
    imageDelBride2012:
    imagesschwege:
    imageMidwestSeashell:

Is pot not decriminalized in every state yet? In CA possession is only a felony if you have more than 1 oz. If someone has that much on them, it's most likely that they're dealing. I don't think you can get your kids taken away for smoking pot either. I mean, unless you're doing it right in front of them and giving them a contact high.

I would think being intoxicated while taking care of your baby would be a lot more dangerous.

My cousin does foster care and you are right that it takes a heck of a lot to get your kids taken away.  But I would imagine if the police got involved then social services would too.  It wouldn't be a risk I would take, but then I'm not getting intoxicated while caring for my child either.  

Obviously we can only speculate on this family's situation, where they live, etc.  Needless to say that wouldn't be a choice I would be making, but I think we can all agree there are far worse things they could be doing.  

• Options

I'm not going to condone smoking regardless of it's cigarettes or herb.  However if they were to engage in edibles I wouldn't mind nearly as much.  I have not ever tried pot in my life, but agree it should be legalized.  I've watched my step father and many others suffer from health conditions where pot has helped with pain tremendously.  It's far better than 90% of the chemicals the FDA approve to be prescribed you.  Mind you I work for Kaiser Permanente, you would be appalled by some of the things considered "legal".  Oh and yes, alcohol is legal, but it also is related to 75,000 deaths in the US alone each year... https://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6089353/ns/health-addictions/t/alcohol-linked-us-deaths-year/.

I don't know where you live, but in CA if you have a prescription for marijuana it's legal.  It helps with postpartum depression, anxiety, as well as other conditions that you may not be aware she is going through. 

Judge not lest ye be judged!

• Options
    imagesschwege:
    imageAri1028:
    imageDelBride2012:
    imagesschwege:
    imageMidwestSeashell:

My cousin does foster care and you are right that it takes a heck of a lot to get your kids taken away.  But I would imagine if the police got involved then social services would too.  It wouldn't be a risk I would take, but then I'm not getting intoxicated while caring for my child either.  

Obviously we can only speculate on this family's situation, where they live, etc.  Needless to say that wouldn't be a choice I would be making, but I think we can all agree there are far worse things they could be doing.  

So does one my family members. She fostered and adopted her son. He was taken away because his parents were at the house of a dealer and the house got raided while they were there. Now in this case, if his parents tested positive for marijuana they would not be able to get him back.

I wouldn't make these choices either, but I don't judge parents for smoking a harmless plant. Agreed there are FAR worse things they could be doing.

ETA: got rid of some details.

• Options
    imageAri1028:
    imagesschwege:
    imageAri1028:
    imageDelBride2012:
    imagesschwege:
    imageMidwestSeashell:

I wouldn't make these choices either, but I don't judge parents for smoking a harmless plant. Agreed there are FAR worse things they could be doing.

• Options

imagesschwege:

Your family member must be a wonderful person, there is certainly a special place in heaven for people like her and my cousin.   

Tried to PM you, but TB won't let me. Could you please edit my quote and in your post, the family member I wrote about? I realized after I posted that I put too much detail.

ETA: Thank you! Smile

• Options
    Drugs are bad.

BFP#1 on 02/14/09 BIRTH to Mason 6lb9oz on 10/12/09

BFP#2 on 5/28/11 EDD 2/1/12 Natural M/C on 6/13/11

BFP#3 on 1/20/12 EDD 9/30/12 Natural m/c on 1/27/12

BFP#4 on 4/23/12 BIRTH to Isabella 7lb1oz on 12/19/12

• Options

unbelievable.

Not sure if it's illegal where you live, but if it is then the parents are participating in illegal behavior thus setting a terrific example for their kid.

If it is legal, why would you want to show your kid that smoking any substance is a good idea?

Regardless of one's opinions on marijuana, I would think setting an example would be your first priority.

Diagnosis of Dimished Ovarian Reserve- FSH> 12
    First Dr said I didn't have a chance- Dumped him!
    New RE Love her! A positive outlook makes all the difference!
    IVF #1 12/10/11 ER 12/14/11 BFP Beta 13dpt =56 Beta #2= 36 CP
    dabbling in IUI while we save for IVF Round 2
    IUI #1 Feb 2012 follistim/femara = BFN

IUI #2 March 2012 Follistim/ Femara = BFP!!! Beta #1 @14dpiui = 168.5 Beta #2 1,159.4 Beta #3 16,273
    Ultrasound 4/18/12- Heard Heartbeat - 115 Ultrasound #2 at 8 weeks, heartbeat 150. Second sac found vanishing twin

Healthy Baby Boy Born 12/10/12!!!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

imageilenegrace:
    Drugs are bad. Mmmm kay?

FTFY!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imageilenegrace:
    Drugs are bad.

This. I wouldn't do anything that would impair my judgement (drinking tons of alcohol, or smoking weed) when I would be taking care of a brand new infant. That's pretty irresponsible.  

• Options
    imageNana_Osaki06:

imageilenegrace:
    Drugs are bad. Mmmm kay?

FTFY!

Yes 

BFP#1 on 02/14/09 BIRTH to Mason 6lb9oz on 10/12/09

BFP#2 on 5/28/11 EDD 2/1/12 Natural M/C on 6/13/11

BFP#3 on 1/20/12 EDD 9/30/12 Natural m/c on 1/27/12

BFP#4 on 4/23/12 BIRTH to Isabella 7lb1oz on 12/19/12

• Options
    imageilenegrace:
    imageNana_Osaki06:

imageilenegrace:
    Drugs are bad. Mmmm kay?

FTFY!

Yes 

+1

A woman's life is nine parts mess to one part magic, you'll learn that soon enough...and the parts that look like magic turn out to be the messiest of all.
  • Options
    imageChristyML:

imageilenegrace:
    Drugs are bad.

This. I wouldn't do anything that would impair my judgement (drinking tons of alcohol, or smoking weed) when I would be taking care of a brand new infant. That's pretty irresponsible.  

I am not sure that drinking "tons" of alcohol and smoking weed are equivalent.  

• Options
    imageDelBride2012:
    imageChristyML:

imageilenegrace:
    Drugs are bad.

I am not sure that drinking "tons" of alcohol and smoking weed are equivalent.  

Depends on the person. Weed can make some people sleep really heavy as can the alcohol. But then again, around here weed is not just 'a plant' it is normally laced with several substances, hydros being the most popular to lace with weed.  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    It wouldn't be my choice, but honestly, it's less dangerous than getting drunk. As long as the baby isn't getting 2nd hand smoke & she's not breast feeding, to each his own.
  • Options

imageAimeeL85:

How is the view from up there on your pedestal? Make all the assumptions you want about this stranger and her eeeeevil marijuana use, but do some research. Doctors will actually suggest marijuana intake to deal with severe morning sickness. I saw a thread not long ago talking about a recent study showing that marijuana use had no impact on babies.

This woman wasn't out back huffing on a crack pipe, she was having a puff of a naturally occurring substance.  How dare she. It is not anyones position to judge if she's chosen not to breast feed... or to pump and discard as many women do when they want to have a couple drinks after having a baby. 

I personally do not smoke or ingest marijuana, but I've read enough research, and known enough people who partook in small amounts of marijuana during pregnancy who's babies are perfectly healthy, incredibly social, and developing ahead of schedule.

Watch someone detox from an alcohol bender, as they have seizures, lose control of their bowels and ability to function... then tell me that marijuana should be illegal and people are oh so stupid for partaking in it. 

• Options

imagefaithfulfaith:
    I bet you spend a lot of time polishing your windows....in the glass house you live in!!

HAHA! This! 

• Options
    imageShaunaT25:

imageAimeeL85:

How is the view from up there on your pedestal? Make all the assumptions you want about this stranger and her eeeeevil marijuana use, but do some research. Doctors will actually suggest marijuana intake to deal with severe morning sickness. I saw a thread not long ago talking about a recent study showing that marijuana use had no impact on babies.

This woman wasn't out back huffing on a crack pipe, she was having a puff of a naturally occurring substance.  How dare she. It is not anyones position to judge if she's chosen not to breast feed... or to pump and discard as many women do when they want to have a couple drinks after having a baby. 

I personally do not smoke or ingest marijuana, but I've read enough research, and known enough people who partook in small amounts of marijuana during pregnancy who's babies are perfectly healthy, incredibly social, and developing ahead of schedule.

Watch someone detox from an alcohol bender, as they have seizures, lose control of their bowels and ability to function... then tell me that marijuana should be illegal and people are oh so stupid for partaking in it. 

Drs used to prescribe tobacco smoking for certain ailments too. Guess, Dr. know everything, to bad they didn't know at that time that smoking can kill you. My ex husband was addicted to pot, a lot of people say you can't get addicted to it, but spending $500.00 a month on pot seems pretty addictive to me, and he always acted different while he was smoking. I don't think Drs know as much about the drug as they profess that they do. I don't agree with it at all.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    at least she wasnt smoking crack. i personally think that smoking pot is way better than drinking or tobacco.

Anniversary
  • Options
  • Options

While personally, it's not something I would do, I don't think it's necessarily all that big of a deal, as long as she isn't BF-ing.  Even then, I'm not sure whether marijuana crosses into breastmilk, but I would assume that it does since it passes in urine. 

Not knowing all of the circumstances, it's hard to call her a "loser," though.

I think it would be a HUGE problem if the baby were sitting on the porch with her.

I also don't like that they were both smoking, if they were the only sober adults home.  We're not smokers, but we do drink on occasion.  DH and I would never both drink to the point of drunkenness if we were the only ones home with DS.  You never know when something is going to happen, and if you need to be able to leave the house and safely drive to the hospital or something, and it's not a risk I am willing to take.

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
  • Options

imagelisastro:
    It wouldn't be my choice, but honestly, it's less dangerous than getting drunk. As long as the baby isn't getting 2nd hand smoke & she's not breast feeding, to each his own.

Why is it less dangerous than getting drunk? I believe that it depends on the person, and how they "handle" their weed, just as it would depend on the individual who is getting drunk. Either way, you are intoxicated, and that's never SAFE, exactly.

It's not my choice. I wouldn't do it because it's still illegal here and even though I highly doubt they'd snatch my kids away over a joint, like PP said, I'm not willing to take the risk of even being SLIGHTLY investigated. [and I also don't think it's fair to assume that she did it in pregnancy. Women drink after they give birth, and it doesn't mean that they were lushin' it up in L&D] Then again, I'm also not a fan of weed. I'd rather be drunk if I'm going to go on a mind vacation. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Someone in the house might have glaucoma or some type of cancer... You just really never know why people do what they do. But I'd take a weed head over a drinker ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. Dem alcoholics scare the crap out of me. Weed smokers? Not so much.

• Options
    Got to love us Californian's! Big Smile Some peopel are so judgemental.
  • Options

imagecruelsound:
    I wish someone offered me a joint. Kids be crazy.

L.O.L. 

imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I think its worse to be drinking honestly. Marijuana is WAY safer than most legal things & I would prefer someone smoking or ingesting marijuana over someone drinking or taking prescription medication. Personally though, even if it were legal, i wouldn't do it anyway! It's really not that big of a deal, IMO.
  • Options
    I understand that you dont agree with someone smoking pot and that is your opinion
    But not everyone in the world shares your opinion on this issue
    I understand where your neighbor is coming from, smoking weed is probably more relaxing than having a drink and doesnt give you a hangover or make you feel icky the next day
    as for the adverse affects to the infant, alcohol has more of a risk than smoking weed does. i know plenty of people that smoked during their entire pregnancy and during breastfeeding and their babies are perfectly normal
    And not just that, if the parents are adamant pot smokers, dont you think the kid will one day know that they are? to expose a child to something you happily bring into your life, especially early on, creates a better understanding adult who isnt as judging and close minded as some people out there. this doesnt mean the kid has to grow up to be a pot head, maybe they just indulge every once in a while because its not that big of a deal. I just dont think you should really call them losers for doing something that they enjoy. besides, is their life yours to run?
  • Options
    Why do people make weed out to be the worst drug out there? So what. Its honestly none of your business what people do with their bodies. Did you discourage her when she went thru in her 9  month pregnancy?? 

I knew  a woman who smoked meth during her pregnancy. now thats something to frown on
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"