South Jersey Babies

New Virtua Hospital..

Anyone deliver there?  Just curious what your thoughts were on it.. we have chosen this to be our hospital for delivery, but I've heard some mixed reviews!  My Father had been in for surgery back in December -- staff was so unorganized!  We had also been there in January for a cyst on my ovary and gallstones -- again, wasn't impressed -- no one seemed to know why I was there, or what tests had been run, what needed to be run, etc.. I actually had a nurse come in and tell me I was being discharged, so I got up and started getting dressed, and a few minutes later another nurse came in with a new bracelet telling me I was being admitted?!  One says go home, another tells me I'm moving to the high risk L&D ward?!  Crazy..

Anyway.. our last interaction was a few weeks ago with OB Triage, and that seemed to go just fine.. everyone there seemed to know what was going on, why I was there, etc.. so, I'm holding out hope that the L&D itself won't be disjointed!! 

Loss #1: 18w5d.. D&E 04Mar03 BFP #2: Jun2011.. missed miscarriage. D&C 08Jul2011 8w4d. BFP #3: Nov2011.. Our Rainbow Baby!!! DS Born: 15Jul2012! BFP #4: Nov2012.. 2U1 - DS2 born 12Jul2013.  BFP #5: 01Jan2014..3U3!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My blog about raising 2U2!

Re: New Virtua Hospital..

• Morning!

I am interested in experiences here as well. I hate Kennedy with a passion, and really don't feel like going into Philly. Woodbury is another option, but I would prefer a new hospital I think.

Any advice would be great. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm currently 33 weeks and high risk (1st one was born at 29 weeks and we still don't know why). I was admitted from the OB triage to the High Risk section twice so far and I only have positive feedback. The nurses and doctors were all really helpful and respectful. They made sure I was emotionally ready to be discharged and didn't rush me out.  The rooms were very big, clean and new and the couch even folded down for my husband to sleep instead of one of those little reclining chairs they usually have. Also, you can order food whenever you are hungry and don't have to wait until normal meal times- it's basically room service.

My friend just had her baby there too and highly recommended it to us as well. Hope this is somewhat helpful. good luck!  

• Loading the player...
  • imagemollygrims:

I'm currently 33 weeks and high risk (1st one was born at 29 weeks and we still don't know why). I was admitted from the OB triage to the High Risk section twice so far and I only have positive feedback. The nurses and doctors were all really helpful and respectful. They made sure I was emotionally ready to be discharged and didn't rush me out.  The rooms were very big, clean and new and the couch even folded down for my husband to sleep instead of one of those little reclining chairs they usually have. Also, you can order food whenever you are hungry and don't have to wait until normal meal times- it's basically room service.

My friend just had her baby there too and highly recommended it to us as well. Hope this is somewhat helpful. good luck!  

Thanks for the post!  The more I ask around, the more mixed reviews I'm getting.. it's quite unfortunate.  We are also HR, and have been seeing MFM since 12 weeks.. it's nice that they are right there inside the hospital.  I'm happy with MFM, and like I said my experience with OB triage was good.. it was just when I was admitted back in January that it was a bit shaky.. also, a friend of mine gave birth there back in Feb/March timeframe, and she complained of the same "disjointed" feeling that I had.. Like you said, though, the rooms are great -- plenty of room -- love that they are all private!  Just hoping that the staff will be more on point when we go for delivery!!

Loss #1: 18w5d.. D&E 04Mar03 BFP #2: Jun2011.. missed miscarriage. D&C 08Jul2011 8w4d. BFP #3: Nov2011.. Our Rainbow Baby!!! DS Born: 15Jul2012! BFP #4: Nov2012.. 2U1 - DS2 born 12Jul2013.  BFP #5: 01Jan2014..3U3!!

• ladun6ladun6 member
    I delivered at that hospital in October and had an awesome experience.  I had been to the OB triage a few times before I was delivered for high blood pressure and always had a good experience.  I delivered early due to pre-eclampsia and had to have a c-section, all of which went very smoothly.  My LO was in the NICU for exactly a week because his lungs were immature.  I can not say enough about the NICU nurses and how fantastic they all were.  I would definitely recommend this hospital and couldn't imagine delivering anywhere else.
  • I just delivered my son there May 10th. I could not say better things about their labor and delivery nurses. Their lactation consultants can go screw but everything else was a great experience. They always made me feel as comfortable as you can in a hospital and the nurse who delivered Mason was AMAZING! I was so nervous I'd have someone who I wouldn't like or acted like they had something better to do.. It was really great. I despise Kennedy with a passion. I will definitely be delivering my next child at VV. 
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyName Ticker
    imageimage
  • I delivered there on the day that they opened the new hospital.  In fact, my son was the second baby born there! :)  Even in the chaos of dealing with being open to the public for just a few hours, I was so impressed with the L&D staff and should my hubby and I ever have another baby, that is surely where we will go.  They made things very comfortable no only for myself, but for my hubby as well and the nurses were very sweet and helpful.  I agree with the previous poster's comment about the lactation nurses (they really are less than helpful), but other than that, I give Virtua Voorhees an enthusiastic two thumbs up!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageladun6:
    I delivered at that hospital in October and had an awesome experience.  I had been to the OB triage a few times before I was delivered for high blood pressure and always had a good experience.  I delivered early due to pre-eclampsia and had to have a c-section, all of which went very smoothly.  My LO was in the NICU for exactly a week because his lungs were immature.  I can not say enough about the NICU nurses and how fantastic they all were.  I would definitely recommend this hospital and couldn't imagine delivering anywhere else.

This was a huge factor in our decision to deliver there -- I knew how well ranked their NICU was even before moving to the new location -- my nephew was born 8 1/2 weeks early, and was in the nicu for 6 weeks -- they were incredible with him!  Glad to see their high standards haven't changed :)

• imagelaurenbuniak:
    I just delivered my son there May 10th. I could not say better things about their labor and delivery nurses. Their lactation consultants can go screw but everything else was a great experience. They always made me feel as comfortable as you can in a hospital and the nurse who delivered Mason was AMAZING! I was so nervous I'd have someone who I wouldn't like or acted like they had something better to do.. It was really great. I despise Kennedy with a passion. I will definitely be delivering my next child at VV. 

Care to elaborate?? I've been told by a few others that their lactation nurses are awful, as well.. just curious as to what your experience was!  Thanks!!

• I just delivered in April with my 2nd DD, and my experience was nothing but amazing. I had some BP issues after birth and everyone took extra good care of me and was truley concerned/helpful with the issue. I personally had no issues with the LC's. I found them to be helpful. 
  • Just delivered there in April and we had a wonderful experience.  I am not BFing so I cannot comment on lactation consultants.  The nurses were great.  I ultimately had to have a C-section and I received great care during and following.  Would definitely deliver there again.
    Me: 35 DH: 35 - Married 10 years
    PCOS and MF

Two failed rounds IUI in 2010
    IVF #1 in 2011 - BFP 8/5/11 - Our IVF miracle was born 4/8/12
    FET 9/23/13; BFP -Twins-10/3/13; EDD 6/10/14; MC 11/1/13; D&C 11/4/13
    FET 3/28/14; BFN - 4/7/14
    IVF #2 - Transfer 2 embryos 11/14/14; BFP 11/24/14 - Beta 265;
    11/26/14 - Beta 612; 11/28/14 - Beta 1263; 12/1/14 - Beta 3571;
    12/3/14 - first u/s - two gestational sacs; 12/17/14 - two healthy heartbeats (132 and 134)
    Our IVF miracles were born 7/16/15

• I delivered there last June not too long after they opened and had a good experience.  I too wasn't crazy about the LC especially as a new mom.  I delivered on Friday and the one on the weekend was helping me a lot because DD was having trouble latching and everything so I was supplementing and pumping, my milk came in and I really didn't realize it on Monday until the other LC came and was going nuts because I was pumping and supplementing.  She gave me a ton of instructions in a very short time and I ended up very confused.  I also felt rushed with the LCs and wish they would have spent more time helping me.

But, nurses and everyone else were wonderful. 

• omg UNDER no no no CIRCUMSTANCES entertain Underwood for your Baby..  Dont you read the papers??

• I had my son there in April. He was born at 29 weeks. I can not complain about the care I recieved. Can't say enough good things about the NICU. He spent 55 days there and the nurses were amazing. Oh on a side note the food is pretty darn good.
  • I had a c/s there a year ago.

The nurses for the c/s were amazing, and the facility was top notch. 

The nurses for the duration of my stay were a-holes, and the LC was no where to be found until day 3 when she finally stopped in. 

Not a great experience for a 1st time mom. 

imageimageimage
  • LC's should not, under any circumstances, be the deciding factor in choosing a hospital!  No, the LC's at Virtua are not great, but the hospital itself is the best bet for delivery.  It's a very comfortable, clean, state-of-the-art facility.  The staff that I encountered in L&D, as well as in Mother-Baby were pretty great.  There's always going to be someone that you encounter that may be less than exceptional, but you'll have that no matter where you go. 

That being said, my LO was back in the hospital at 3 weeks with a diagnosis of failure to thrive b/c she was not gaining weight.  SCARY!  The pediatrics unit, as well as the children's ER are amazing.  Do not sacrifice the best care possible just because LC's aren't great or there are a few people who are less than pleasant.  If BF'ing is extremely important to you, as it was to me with both LO's, you can always go to BF'ing support groups and have independent LC's work with you in the privacy of your home, where you will naturally be more relaxed anyway.

My best advice to any new mom is to not set your expectations so high that nobody will ever be able to uphold them!

• I delivered in the old hospital in 2010 and was not so thrilled, so I too was wondering how the new hospital was.  I have heard good things so far about it, and the room sizes sound amazing...even better to me since I had to share a room for 2 days and my husband wasn't allowed to stay the night!  I'm glad to hear all the good reviews here!  And I agree about the LC's, I didn't see one till the day I was leaving, not a good thing for a ftm! 
  • deanna1313deanna1313 member
    edited September 2013
    I have only heard great things.  I was there visiting my Mother after an accident she had and everyone was wonderful and she was well cared for.  Not sure if anyone else mentioned it, but I know that hospital is known for having private rooms.  To me that is really important! 
  • I delivered there April 2nd. I can only say good things. L&D staff was fabulous, postpartum nurses were so helpful, the lactation consultants saved my nursing relationship. The rooms were private and large, the room service amazing. I can't wait to go back.
    imageimage
  • I delivered there in april and the nurses were awesome. I however was not impressed with their LCs. But imo nurses are way more important!
  • I had c/s with both of my boys and had great experiences both times with one exception, the nurses seemed to consistently forget me pain meds then on my last day there, one of the nurses told me I had to ask for them, they wouldn't just bring them. Thought that was wierd, but overall everything was fine. The cafeterie sent up smoothies one day by surprise, and someone also came by offering hand and arm massages :) Nice little touch!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Ethan Christopher 7/7/11 www.noreenturner.com
  • I delivered via cesarean (breech baby) at VV and had a great experience. I felt like I was in a hotel with the room service. I actually had a positive experience with the LC's, so that was a good thing. The staff was super friendly and responsive and they were very warm and welcoming to my partner and I, as well as our little one.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"