Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

no power in state and newborn baby

How can you boil water to clean bottles and how to keep baby cool with no air condition? Any suggestions how to do this when the whole state have no electric
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: no power in state and newborn baby

• Options
    I hope you get power back soon!  Do you have a grill you could use to heat water?  Other than leaving baby in diaper only I don't have ideas for keeping him or her cool.  Can you wet some washcloths to put on LO?
  • Options
    kdjuddkdjudd member
    I'm dealing with the exact same thing. I've just been cleaning the bottles with dish soap and cold water. It is really hard to keep the baby cool though. She has been screaming and sweating all day. I don't know what to do... :( 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't have a baby so please forgive my ignorance if this is a terrible idea but what about a cool bath?
    Me: 32
    DH: 37
    Married: May 24, 2008
    TTC #2 since: June 2020
  • Options

Yup, boiling water would work :) 

That sucks you have to power! Yuck. Just keep your LO in their diaper and nothing else. If they seem like they`re getting overheated, you could do a cool bath, or wet washcloths.

GL!  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    You can also do skin to skin time - the same way that we can warm our baby up when she is cold, a mama's skin will cool a baby down who is overheated.  Dad's can't do this though - dad's can only warm up a cool baby.
    April 2012 Mamas Blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Look! I put the diaper on the baby! image Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Jessica's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest

• Options
    I second the cool wash clothes idea. Maybe try one of those little battery operated handheld fans?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageMrsGreen620:
    You can also do skin to skin time - the same way that we can warm our baby up when she is cold, a mama's skin will cool a baby down who is overheated.  Dad's can't do this though - dad's can only warm up a cool baby.
    Hmm really?

image"">Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageClaireOtoms:
    imageMrsGreen620:
    Hmm really?
    Actually, this is true, they told us this at the hospital. I wish I could remember why/how it works. OP, dou you have a gas stove? If not, find a friend or family member who does. They can be lit with a lighter or match and then you can boil water (or cook for that matter).
  • Options
    I hope power is restored to you soon! 
  • Options
    It will be ok, just think of the many generations of babies that grew up with no power or no a/c. 
  • Options
    When it really gets awful take a drive in an air conditioned car!
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Are there any emergency centers with A/C set up in your area?  Or could you get a hotel room or visit out of state relatives? (I'm assuming that a hotel would have a backup generator)
  • Options
    Use bottled water (purified, not spring water) and take a thin blanket, stick in freezer where it's still cold, then lay LO on it (after you take it out of the freezer of course lol) or set a bag of frozen veggies in their carseat, crib, or PNP/RNP for a few minutes.
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry about the heat. Before A/C units, babies did just fine. :-) It can get up into the 100's here and most homes have no A/C. Just stay in the shade and keep baby hydrated. A bath and room temp water will be fine also. As for the bottles, just do the best you can to keep them clean.  Hope you get your power back soon.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

imageEveamlizya:
    Use bottled water (purified, not spring water) and take a thin blanket, stick in freezer where it's still cold, then lay LO on it (after you take it out of the freezer of course lol) or set a bag of frozen veggies in their carseat, crib, or PNP/RNP for a few minutes.

It's not cold in her freezer - she has no power.

The word you're looking for is SEX.  I promise.  No, it's not gender.  It's sex.  You're welcome.
  • Options
    shannmshannm member

Are you breastfeeding?  Keep him hydrated that way.  

As for the bottles, do you have access to any hot water?  Boiling each time isn't necessary.  Soap and hot water is sufficient.

Yes, AC is nice, but many people have kids with no AC.  Stay in the shade and stay hydrated.  Don't overdress LO. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"