2nd Trimester

Is It Possible?

My DH's sister keeps saying that our baby is going to look like her. (she gets this idea because one of her little girls looks like my Dh n thinks the first child will always look like the sibling)

My problem is that she naturally has red hair and blue eyes. 

Both me and my DH have dark hair and dark eyed and dark skin. But makes me worry is it possible for my baby to have red hair?

Re: Is It Possible?

• Why does your baby having red hair make you worry??
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm not sure why you care if your child has red hair..? And of course that's possible, obviously that gene is somewhere in your DH, so chances of it showing in your child are slim, but still there. Unless she's adopted or something and you failed to mention that.

Still wondering why it's a huge deal if your child has red hair and why this is such a concern to you though.. Red hair can be gorgeous, I would definitely not be concerned about that.

V|V TSP V|V
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Dh has green eyes and dark hair.  I have brown eyes and dark hair.  Dd1 has super light blonde hair and bright blue eyes.  She does look a lot like SIL did as a baby.

Ds had dark hair and dark blue eyes and dd2 has medium hair and super brown eyes. 

*~*Mommy to*~*
    BFP#1 Kaitlyn 11-17-04
    BFP #2 Matthew pPROM 23w5d 06-03-07, b/33 weeks 8-6-07, d/10-15-07 SIDS,
    BFP #3 m/c 8 weeks 2/20/09, BFP #4 m/c no hb 6w4d, m/c 9w4d, D&C 11w2d, BFP #5 C/P 12/18/09 after BFP- 9dpo
    BFP #6 Samantha- 11-9-10
    BFP #7 4/20/12 21 DPO beta: 2382 29 DPO beta: 23000! HB 6w2d 116 bpm due Christmas day!
    This Momma's Journey
    ~Today I am pregnant and I love my baby~ BabyFruit Ticker
  • mlangsmlangs member

Is it possible for dark hair and dark eyed and dark skin people to have a red haired blue eyed baby... yes, it is, but is it likely... not usually.

Did they not teach you about genetics in school?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hmm I hope this turns into the afternoon entertainment I was looking for....

Cooper Edward

• ... both my parents have brown hair. My brother and I both have red hair. And my mom was definitely not 'worried' - envious, perhaps... but not worried. LOL.

I hope you worded that the wrong way, because it kind of sounds like you're an "anti-ginger" person LOLOLOL

If your little girl/boy has red hair, they can totally still look like you. And as they grow, you will start to notice that they do "you" things, or "DH" things. Nobody can take that from you :) 

Callie photo Callie1.jpg
  • i think i would feel as if it wasent our baby, u know.

Just cuz no one in my family has red hair. and both me and him are dark hair dark eyes and skin. so it would be a lil weird Tongue Tied

• imageMegroons:
    Hmm I hope this turns into the afternoon entertainment I was looking for....

This does seem like something slightly flame-able..

V|V TSP V|V
  • mlangsmlangs member
    imagesewellbaby22:

i think i would feel as if it wasent our baby, u know.

Just cuz no one in my family has red hair. and both me and him are dark hair dark eyes and skin. so it would be a lil weird Tongue Tied

Let is be known that I call MUD right now.

• imageJoyHerbie2011:
    Why does your baby having red hair make you worry??

This.  ?  

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Anything is possible. DH and I both have dark hair and dark eyes. Dd is blond with blue eyes and DS is auburn with dark eyes. We assumed we'd have brown haired kids but so far that has not been the case! Whatever your child looks like, I'm sure it will be adorable!
    m/c March 2009 @ 5 weeks ~ m/c June 2009 @ 10 weeks ~ m/c February 2012 @ 4.5 weeks Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagesewellbaby22:

No matter what, if its coming out of your vag, it is in fact your baby. So no worries there. I think people with a general idea of biology would understand it's possible and not doubt that you are the parents.

V|V TSP V|V
  • If your SIL has the gene for red hair, then it is likely that your DH carries the gene for red hair also.  It will depend on whether you also carries the gene and whether the sperm and egg that made this baby had them.

So, yes, I guess it's possible.

But, what is so wrong with that that it would make you worry enough to post about it on a public forum?  If he/she comes out with red hair, are you going to spend your life being upset about it and making him/her feel bad for having red hair?  It's just a hair color. 

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Trust me when I say, once you pop it out of your crotch, you will feel like it's your baby. No matter what. 

And babies carry their parents characteristics, even if it's not a total mini me. 

Callie photo Callie1.jpg
  • Well, you said that she has a kid that looks like DH.  Maybe if your kid looks like her she'll trade you.  Confused

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • Um... really?  If it is in the genes it is in the genes and you have that chance.  I have brown hair and hubbs has black hair and we popped out a beautiful little red head.  Your baby will be what it is destined to be so find something else to worry about.
  • mlangsmlangs member
    imagegraciesmurf:

Well, you said that she has a kid that looks like DH.  Maybe if your kid looks like her she'll trade you.  Confused

Yes 

• I would be worried too. I wouldn't want a soul stealing ginger baby either
    i wish i could be joking but my dad is the music teacher at a church so he owuld be mad. we had sex, all the time how bad i know but we dont want to wait and he said GREAT OH KAY! and I was really feeling the wets? down there- too embarsed to say- but he acted like man.
  • Oh my science....this is fabulous.

• Don't worry; gingers rock.
    I mean, Lindsay Lohan has naturally red hair, right??
    Oh wait...
  • imagegisa886:
    I would be worried too. I wouldn't want a soul stealing ginger baby either

LOLOLOL

I'm stealing your soul through the internet right now ;) 

Callie photo Callie1.jpg
  • laura1laura1 member

Yes it is possible - and it is completely ridiculous to worry about this.   My DS has light hair and blue eyes while I have hazel eyes, DH has brown eyes, and both DH and I have brown hair.  Other than those features, he looks almost exactly like my DH.  My 2SILs both have blue eyes, and DS has the same hair that my dad did before he lost it.  

No matter who your child looks like - he or she will still be your child and will resemble you in different ways.  

TTC#1 = Success on Cycle#19 with Clomid/trigger/b2b IUIs; beta#1 (15dpiui) 200, #2 (18dpiui) 433, #3 (22dpiui) 2356; TTC#2 = Surprise BFP 9/2009; TTC#3 = m/c at 6 wks, 10/29/11; BFP#2 4/1/2012... Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagesewellbaby22:

No one in YOUR family may have red hair that you know of, but you didn't make this child on your own. Your husband carries the gene, and somewhere along the line of your family, someone could also carry. If that's the case, then yes, there is a chance. Anyone who points out that it's "weird" (if it does happen) doesn't have a very good understanding of how biology works. I'd be more concerned about popping out a healthy kid than one who is a redhead. 

imageimage BabyFetus Ticker Our Pregnancy Journey! -- http://when2bcomeone.blogspot.com/
  • imageredwood807:

imagegisa886:
    I would be worried too. I wouldn't want a soul stealing ginger baby either

OH! Soul-STEALING. My bad, I thought we had no souls. Ahh, hence the stealing. Gotta get my *** straight.

No you're right!!  We have no souls.  I don't think we steal them either. Unless that person has something against Gingers.  Then we take'em ;) 

• If no one in your family has red hair it is unlikely that your child will have red hair. You have to carry the gene mutation for red hair and your husband has to carry it. In addition to that your child has to express the double mutation.  So it is unlikely if you have no recollection of any redheads in your family history, or you are not Irish/ Scottish (they have a higher incident of the mutation).  

My mother is a redhead and out of four children none of hers were redheads.  I am hoping that I have a redhead because my DH family has a history of redheads.   

ETA:  I have to add that while unlikely- it is not impossible.  The mutation could be there and never expressed in your family history.  Also, I agree with PP, this sounds like gingerism and is not a legitimate worry.  

• imagegraciesmurf:

Well, you said that she has a kid that looks like DH.  Maybe if your kid looks like her she'll trade you.  Confused

::::spits water all over laptop::::

• My DD looks just like MH's sister.  Not something I would ever waste time worrying about.  I think it's cute.  Everyone still knows she is mine. 

Find a new worry... this one isnt worth it.

• imagemrebecca:
    Don't worry; gingers rock.
    I mean, Lindsay Lohan has naturally red hair, right??
    Oh wait...

And now I guess she's on crack!

V|V TSP V|V
  • Yep, very possible! I don't know about the red hair because I think that is a recessive trait. But DD looks very much like DHs sister, especially when you look at her childhood pictures.

Don't worry too much about it, no matter what you will see you and your DH in her too. Remember you are all related. :) 

• If you pop out a ginger PM me and I'll raise your child and love it. If you really have to ask you probably shouldn't be aloud to raise a child... It takes lots o smarts ya kno. 

That is all.  

• Well how on EARTH could a man have a baby that resembles another one of his BLOOD RELATIVES.

Wow.

• Umm yes its possible, but I think this post is really inappropriate considering that two post down there is a mom with real concerns. Who cares if you have a redhead atleast you have a healthy baby.
    boots badge
  • My mum is a red head, so was my uncle. I am hoping my LO will be a red head. I have always wanted red hair like my mum. I think it's sad you would be worried that people wouldn't think LO is yours. You have some issues you need to work out. 
    BabyFruit Ticker image image
  • imagemirah107:
    Umm yes its possible, but I think this post is really inappropriate considering that two post down there is a mom with real concerns. Who cares if you have a redhead atleast you have a healthy baby.

This! I was thinking the exact same thing. 

imageimage BabyFetus Ticker Our Pregnancy Journey! -- http://when2bcomeone.blogspot.com/
  • imagesewellbaby22:

And then you would have to worry about people always thinking you stole it.

BFP #1- 11/7/10 ~EDD 7/20/11 ~M/C (bo) 12/6/10 @ 8wks ~Missing my Little Firework

BFP #2- 9/11/11 ~EDD 5/25/12 ~M/C (mmc10w)11/4/11 @ 11wks ~Missing my May Flower

BFP #3- 02/21/12 ~EDD 11/1/12  Audrey Lee Born 11/4/2012

BFP #4 ~EDD 6/20/14 stick baby stick!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• imageMrsT1108:

Oh my science....this is fabulous.

I died.

• Well, my sister's first born - a girl - looks like me and not her. But none of us are redheads.
  • I'm more worried that my child will act like my SIL....but she won't have the chance to have much influence on him ha.  

• It is a fact that red hair is a mutated brown hair gene. Which is why we have on red head in a field of brown haired babies of every generation. It happens, deal.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"