Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Help! I think DD wants to nurse but I stopped...

I started weaning DD slowly about 5 weeks ago. It's now been about a week that I have stopped BF. Ever since I completely stopped, DD has been soooo difficult to get to sleep! She whines, cries, fusses, takes HOURS of rocking to get her to sleep.. meanwhile she's climbing all over me, will fall asleep then shriek the second I put her down.. Before we were putting her down drowsy but awake and she was fine. This happens for naps, bedtime and when she wakes up at night. It's been taking us an average of 2 hours to get her back to sleep in the middle of the night! Not only that but she's been refusing FF more and more lately and every bottle is a fight to get 2-3 ounces down. She's not eating much solids either..

Now, she did just get 4 teeth in, but all 4 have broken through and are pretty exposed now. I know that could have been part to do with it.. and maybe I'm feeling a bit emotionally strained from having stopped BF, but I really think that's the main problem.

Today DD took 1 nap (yesterday too). She's been up for 6 hours so I know she's exhausted but she was fighting sleep for the last hour. We have a great bedtime routine that hasn't changed in months. I know that's not the problem. So tonight she drank 2 oz before bed, fought DH so I went in and got her to drink another ounce (her last bottle before this was 3 oz 4 hours ago). She was rubbing her eyes, clearly exhausted so I rocked her, she climbed everywhere, stood on me, etc.. Finally I put her down, she screamed and I played her crib soother. She was happy, then she turned it off and threw a fit. I tried rocking her again, bottle, everything.. she was just crying and whining and trying to climb all over me again.

She was clawing at me trying to latch on through my clothes, lifting my shirt up and trying to suck my stomach (seriously, she left hickey marks!). Finally I didn't know what else to do so I went ahead and nursed her. It did actually sound like she was drinking so I guess there might be a little left.. but it really can't be much! I tried swapping out for a bottle and she screamed again and then latched on and fell asleep w/in a minute!

So now I feel horrible and like I weaned her too early, emotionally for her. What can I do to make this easier on her? I already took it super slowly, I giver her tons (extra) cuddle time during the day. What else can I do? Or any tips to get her to sleep more easily?? (for the record, she saw the pedi last week. no ear infection, perfect health...)

Whew this is long.. thanks for listening and any suggestions!

CP 3/07
BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
BFP 11/14

Re: Help! I think DD wants to nurse but I stopped...

• Options
    just curious? Why did you decide to wean her now?
  • Options
    I wonder if you let her nurse when she tries and eventually she'll get frustrated that there is not enough and stop...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageprincess4u81:
    just curious? Why did you decide to wean her now?

I've been dealing w/ supply issues and nothing was working to build it back up. Believe me, I tried it all! DD was waking every 2 hours at night to eat. Once I weaned her and she was getting more FF she stopped waking at night (just once so I knew that really was it). I really really wanted to continue to nurse her mid-of-the-night wakings and first thing in the morning but my supply was totally shot and that only lasted a week :(

CP 3/07
    TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
    BFP 11/14
  • Options
    I'm sorry that must be frustrating. Well maybe you could just nurse her before bed? Not sure if it will work...
  • Options
    Thanks.. I guess I could go ahead an "nurse" her.. I just feel like that's a little weird since I don't have much of a supply left, you know. ? Or maybe not so weird because it's really just comfort nursing.. I don't know. DD is really not a cuddler and I didn't think she would be too affected by weaning. This just sucks!! And is quite therapeutic to write it all out. Not that anything is solved, but I feel a tinsey bit better having written all that..
    CP 3/07
    BFP 11/14
  • Options
    I could have written the first half of your post. I had to pretty much re-ferberize DD once I stopped nursing a few weeks ago. I never used to put her to sleep nursing, but it would make her drowsy and then I'd put her down and she'd just go to sleep. After she pretty much weaned herself, she needed to be rocked to sleep. Then she would fight it in my arms and I couldn't rock her anymore. It only took one night and now she's back to normal. Weird. I hope it gets better. I know weaning is hard enough emotionally, this makes it even harder.
  • Options
    Almost momma, thank you!! You have no idea how much better that makes me feel to know that I'm not alone and that it will be ok. I was just starting to feel good, emotionally, about having weaned and now this is making it so much harder again! (not to mention the whole formula crap going on last week!). Maybe we'll give it a few more days and if it doesn't get better it will be time to re-Ferberize. Thanks again!
    CP 3/07
    BFP 11/14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"