Pregnant after IF
Options

GBS

Has anyone dealt with Group B Strep?

It appears that the asymptomatic UTI that I had during first tri was not really a UTI, but GBS.  I'm a little confused b/c what I understood from my ob and what I've read online is that GBS is not an issue and doesn't need to be treated until you go into labor.  But today I got a call saying that my doc wants me to take a second round of antibiotics for it. I asked the nurse why since it will likely just show up again later and she said that they sometimes do a few rounds of antibiotics to see if it will go away.  I don't understand b/c I thought this was just part of 'my normal' bacterial flora.

It's not a big deal to just take the extra antibiotics, but I hate that I'm putting more drugs in my system again. 

Has anyone been through this?  Were you treated during your pregnancy or are you just expecting IV antibiotics during labor? 

IVF #3 = Feb 2012
beta#1 3/21 (14dp3dt)=413, beta#2 3/23 (16dp3dt)=785, u/s 4/11
EDD 11/25/12
**SAIFW** Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: GBS

• Options

I tested positive for GBS but don't have any symptoms. I was told I'd just be treated with antibiotics during labor and delivery for it and it shouldn't be a big deal. 

Mr. & Mrs. UMich! July 2006! :-)
    DX: High FSH/DOR
    It took 44 cycles, just over 3 years, 6 failed IUI's in MI, and 1 round of IVF at CCRM to get our BFP!

Beta #1 (9dp5dt) = 206, Beta #2 (11dp5dt) = 438
    1st u/s @ 6w5d = 11/11/11 = ONE little bean! HB 120bpm!
    ?Our Baby Boy Born June 26th, 2012?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageUMichGirl:

I tested positive for GBS but don't have any symptoms. I was told I'd just be treated with antibiotics during labor and delivery for it and it shouldn't be a big deal. 

Sorry, dirty lurking. This is how it went for me too. I've never heard of having symptoms from GBS during a pregnancy.  But if that's what my doctor told me then I would do what they say. 

Diagnosed MFI- low sperm count  
    DS-Born 7/27/11 After 2 years of IF we have our little man
    TTC#2 January 2013
    11 Medicated cycles gave us
    B/G Twins born 10/8/14 @ 32 weeks
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I tested + for GBS early on but my OB just said it wasn't anything to worry about for me since I will be having a repeat C-Section. However, I went home to Dr. Google and then freaked myself out, so at my MFM appointment I asked him about it and he did confirm that GBS (in very rare cases) can cause issues, so a round of antibiotics wouldn't harm anything. I took the antibiotics!
    6/28/10: Lost our sweet baby Addyston at 18wk 1day to pPROM 7/24/11: Michael William born at 24wk 2d due to IC after an emergent cerclage at 18wks, 4wk home BR and 2 weeks hospital BR. Grow strong our little Miracle! 9/17/11: Michael joined his sister in heaven after 8 amazing weeks with us on earth. He fought a very hard fight but NEC was too much for him in the end. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"