February 2013 Moms
Options

Cooked sushi rolls?

I'm really missing sushi rolls!  Is anyone continuing to eat cooked rolls from restaurants?  Do you worry about the risk of cross-contamination with the raw fish that the sushi chefs handle, as well?  I'd love your opinions! 

Re: Cooked sushi rolls?

• Options
    I eat the cooked ones! I also wonder...do women in japan even forgo the raw fish!?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I've seen people point out that Japanese women also get pregnant and they probably eat sushi during their pregnancies. I do eat California rolls and other cooked sushi - I think just follow the common sense rule with this one. If the sushi comes from a reputable place and has a good reputation for cleanliness, then go for the cooked sushi. I would however not eat anything from the weird sushi truck in the parking lot.
    Married 2/15/09, BFP #1 02/03/12 - EDD 10/13/12, Missed M/C 03/15/12@9w5d (measuring 8w3d) They weren't kidding when they said "Beware the Ides of March" Image and video hosting by TinyPic BFP#2 06/13/12 - Emily Samantha born on Feb 9, 2013!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    In my last pregnancy I had cooked rolls. We don't do sushi very often so we only had it twice and both were special occasions so I wasn't going to pass it up and starve.  
  • Options
    Good idea, hadn't thought of that! Although I think it'd be too much of a tease to be in a sushi restaurant and see all the awesome raw fish I can't have. Right now that's the word my SO knows not to say. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

imagedbowitz:
    I've seen people point out that Japanese women also get pregnant and they probably eat sushi during their pregnancies. I do eat California rolls and other cooked sushi - I think just follow the common sense rule with this one. If the sushi comes from a reputable place and has a good reputation for cleanliness, then go for the cooked sushi. I would however not eat anything from the weird sushi truck in the parking lot.

Ha ha! I probably wouldnt eat sushi there when im not pregnant either! haha

I go with cooked sushi too, or california rolls.  mmmmmm....

• Options

imagedbowitz:
    I would however not eat anything from the weird sushi truck in the parking lot.

That made me LOL!  I was just daydreaming over the menu of my fav. sushi restaurant here in town and they label their fully cooked rolls, which is nice.  I might be heading over there for lunch sometime when I get over my nausea!  Thanks, ladies!

• Options
    I continued eating the cooked sushi rolls throughout my first pregnancy with no troubles!
  • Options

i ate fresh rolls on occassion during my last pregnancy. My OB was asian and said it was fine. I made sure to go to reputable, clean restaurants and ordered fish that was lower in mercury.

Here are the guidlines for eating fish during pregnancy, cooked or not:

These guidelines state that no more than 12 oz of low mercury fish should be consumed weekly. "Highest" mercury fish should be avoided and "high" mercury fish should be kept to only three 6-oz servings per month.

Here are the fishes you should avoid:

There are 4 types of fish that should be on the list to avoid due to mercury levels. These include: shark, king mackerel, swordfish and tilefish.

https://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/fishmercury.htm

I eat Tuna moderatly. Salmon, shrimp, albacore and yellowtail are my favorite, but I normally get a bento box with a small helping of the above on the side.

• Options
    Absolutely!  I indulged this last weekend.  California roll for me and then snuck some of my husbands baked shrimp tempura roll.  So yummy.  If you get one of the baked rolls where they litterly bake the entire roll after assembling it, you definitely won't have to worry about cross contamination:)
    3 MCs
    1 Rainbow Baby: Born 4/4/15
    BFP: 4/23/17  EDD 1/5/18
  • Options
    I forwent (is that a word?) all raw sushi during my previous pregnancies.  I did eat the veggie and cooked rolls.  But I will be honest - this time I have been eating the raw stuff too, just avoiding the high-mercury fish.  Sushi is one of the only things that appeals to me.  And they do eat it in Japan.  I think the key is just to be confident that you're getting fresh fish.  I don't buy the premade grocery store stuff. 
    Traveling the world with my girls - born 12 months and 18 days apart.
    <a href="http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y161/putalittlepolkainyourdot/?action=view
  • Options
    I still eat cooked sushi.  I gave up my spicy tuna rolls.  I still eat tuna, but I live on the Gulf of Mexico, so my dad frequently goes tuna fishing and has it stockpiled in a deep freezer so I know it's fresh.  I don't mind eating local tuna raw, though it is a rare occasion that I do.
    DD: 6/30/09. Mild pre-e DS: 9/5/10. Normal pregnancy Diagnosed 6/4/12 with dermatomyositis. Currently on Prednisone and IVIG therapy. 9/11/12: Normal a/s for DS2. No side effects from my medication, yay! DS2: 1/28/13. Thankful for healthy children! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"