Adoption
Options

New Here

Happy Monday! I'm new to the board and just wanted to share a little bit about myself. DH and I have been married for 5 years and our first child was born in March. We have always had a heart to adopt and we started looking into the details last summer. We want to give a child in need a loving home just like he/she deserves so we want to adopt in the near future.

We have noticed that God has started putting us situations where we are talking to others who also want to adopt (most have bio kids :) ) but just don't have the money. That was our "deterrent" at first as well.

So, I'm here to find out more. I want to learn about the struggles, the ins and outs, the pro/cons for intl vs domestic and any tips or helpful websites. I think God has laid this vision on my heart to help others who want to adopt but can't afford it or to help people seeking to learn more about adoption options.

I know there are several websites available, so please let me know if you have any recommendations. I will start looking through posts on the board for more info too.

TIA for welcoming me!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: New Here

• Options
    IRRIRR member
    Welcome, your son is adorable.  There are many more women on here than me that have great insights and information on all sorts of adoptions.  There is an FAQ section on the board that may be a great place for you to start.  GL

Failed Matches - December 2012, May 2013, December 2013
    Moved on to  gestational surrogacy with a family friend who is our angel and due 7/23/15

• Options

Welcome :)  We have a great FAQ and a group of committed and passionate adoptive moms on this board.  And we are friendly :)

In reading your note, one thing kept popping out which is frowned upon in adoptive circles... try to steer clear of using the phrase "child of my/our/their own".  As an adoptive parent, you'll one day understand that this distinction can be hurtful.  My children are as much my own as had I birthed them.  They are MINE :)  not less than that.  The more acceptable way of differentiating... when necessary... is biological or bio child. 

Again, welcome :)

image Best friends and sisters... 24 months and 16 months
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagesilliestbunny:

In reading your note, one thing kept popping out which is frowned upon in adoptive circles... try to steer clear of using the phrase "child of my/our/their own".  Again, welcome :)

Thank you for pointing that out! See I'm learning! which is why I want to go through the process so I can learn and help others! No offense meant, Thanks again!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Welcome!  My DH and I are doing an international adoption.  We also always wanted to adopt, like you, but decided to adopt before bio kids when we discovered that we'd need fertility treatments to get pregnant.

We also had a strong desire to provide a home for a child who needed one, so when we looked into all the different types of adoption, a big part of our criteria was that we wanted to fill a need.  In our area there was not a need for foster parents of young children (under 3, the age we wanted), nor was there a big need for people to adopt white or Asian babies.  The two areas of need we found were 1) domestic infant adoption of mixed race or AA infants and 2) international adoption of waiting children (typically children who are a bit older or have a special need).

So then we had to decide which one we wanted to move forward with, and due to a number of reasons we went with international adoption.  Now we're about to make our first trip to Russia to visit a little 2 y.o boy we hope to call our son! 

Our whole journey so far is detailed in my blog if you are interested.   Hope you find help here and welcome!  Look forward to watching your journey unfold!

TTC September 2010 thru October 2011
    SA February 2011: Normal
    RE App. October 2011 - Recc. Clomid and IUI

Taking a break from TTC to pursue adoption

Met our 2 year old son in Russia July 2012!
    Court trip October 2012
    Home November 24 2012!

Back to RE Summer 2013. TTC journey continues: 

Dx DOR, endometriosis, low sperm count 
    Clomid + IUI#1, #2 = BFN / IUI #3 = ???

Laparoscopy scheduled December 2013

Adding a Burden
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"