Military Families
Options

Getting out of the army

My husband submitted his paperwork to get out of the military. He is already in the process of several job interviews with civilian jobs. Any one deal or go through this process. He is an officer so I know we have to wait to see if he gets approved to get out, but what about health insurance, moving for the last time with the army, etc. any tips woud be great!TIA
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyName Ticker

Re: Getting out of the army

• Options

I left active duty but went into the national guard to finish my contract but I think I can help. 

Save every penny you have now, interviews are great but it took me a few months to get my contractor job set in stone. I believe tricare will let you purchase insurance to cover you a set amount of time after the ETS. YH should be able to go to ACAP and they'll help with resume/job searching and how the process works. You'll move to wherever you're going and they'll treat it like a PCS. You'll submit all the same paperwork.  

My biggest advice is to take advantage of all the resources they offer. If/when he is approved, he'll go through a ton of briefings. Call and make appointments, use the free resume builders, free counseling through military one source, network points what's his branch/regiment? 

CJ 05/29/2013

• Options

Here is the link to the Continued Health Care Benefit plan - https://www.tricare.mil/mybenefit/ProfileFilter.do;jsessionid=PynTWJMbxdT1Qv4zj58RS9vhdns2cNxThC08SxlXNyLGQt2m5vlj!316433488?puri=%2Fhome%2Foverview%2FSpecialPrograms%2FCHCBP

The Continued Health Care Benefit Program (CHCBP) is a premium-based health care program that offers temporary transitional health coverage for 18-36 months after TRICARE eligibility ends. If you qualify, you can purchase CHCBP within 60 days of loss of eligibility for either regular TRICARE or Transitional Assistance Management Program (TAMP) coverage.

CHCBP acts as a bridge between military health benefits and your new civilian health plan. CHCBP benefits are comparable to TRICARE Standard with the same benefits, providers and program rules. The main difference is that you pay premiums to participate.

• Individual coverage: $1,065 per quarter
    • Family coverage: $2,390 per quarter

Eligible Beneficiaries
    Under certain circumstances, the following beneficiaries may be eligible to purchase CHCBP:

• Former active duty service members released from active duty (under other than adverse conditions) and their eligible family members. Coverage is limited to 18 months.
    • Unremarried former spouses who were eligible for TRICARE on the day before the date of the final decree of divorce, dissolution or annulment. Coverage is usually limited to 36 months however some unremarried former spouses may continue coverage beyond 36 months if they meet certain criteria. Contact Humana Military for details.
    • Children who cease to meet the requirements to be an eligible family member and were eligible for TRICARE on the day before ceasing to meet those requirements. Coverage is limited to 36 months.
    • Certain unmarried children by adoption or legal custody. Coverage is limited to 36 months.

CHCBP Contractor
    Humana Military Healthcare Services, Inc. (Humana Military) is the CHCBP contractor and will provide services for enrollment, authorization, claims processing and customer service. For more information about CHCBP or to see you you qualify, visit the CHCBP Web site or call Humana Military at 1-800-444-5445 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-444-5445 end_of_the_skype_highlighting.

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks Illumine! I knew there was something but I opted out when I left AD. 

CJ 05/29/2013

• Options
    llumine, Thanks for sharing that info. I have been trying to find out about the insurance aspect for a while, I have been getting so much confusing info but that really helped!
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options

As far as moving, the government will move you back to your Home of Record and sometimes to your Basic Entry Point (for most that would be school or wherever you were commissioned).  However, you can get them to move you to an alternate location if it is deemed advantageous (ie: costs less) than a move to the HOR.  That doesn't always equate mile = mile so just because somewhere is closer doesn't always mean it's cheaper (off main routes of travel, no other shipments destined for that location, etc).  You can find all that info at TMO. 

I had household goods in storage because I ETSed from my last assignment overseas (Cuba) so I was authorized temporary storage paid for by the government.  I can't recall if it was 6 months or a year.  So if you are overseas and happen to have goods in storage then that might apply to you as well.  

Upon ETS (even before terminal leave is up) you will have to surrender your IDs so be prepared for that.  It can throw some people for a loop for some reason.  

Plan your terminal leave well.  Don't take it as a vacation if jobs are not already lined up and in the bag.  It can be quite a surprise when that money doesn't show up in your account each month.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"