Georgia Babies
Options

Hospitals and Docs

Hi Ladies,

I'm a regular on the nest board but just kind of lurked over here. The last post about Piedmont reminded me that I had a question to ask. I currently go to Obgyn of Atlanta so my doctor delivers at Northside.  I was originally very happy about this even if it is called "the baby factory." That actually made me feel better that they have plenty of qualified people doing this basically all the time. But I keep seeing people rave about delivering at Piedmont. So I'm wondering if that would actually be a better experience. Can anyone share their experience at either (though I'm checking the other post for info on Piedmont) If you prefer Piedmont, would you mind sharing what practice/ob you used and liked? Thanks! 

Re: Hospitals and Docs

• Options
    I had my girls at Northside and couldn't have been happier.  My nurses were all great and the food wasn't horrible.  They allow you to eat pretty much whatever you want anyway, so our family typically brought a meal when they came to visit.  Northside is known as the baby hospital in Atlanta because they deliver more babies than any other hospital - a GOOD thing, not a bad one.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We were really happy with Northside.  Even though they do a lot of deliveries there--you don't feel like you're in a factory.  You have a private delivery room and private room where you stay afterwards and the staff is very familiar with childbirth and post delivery issues since that's all they do.  They also have a women's shop where you can be fitted for a nursing bra before you leave, which was great since the ones I bought beforehand turned out to be the wrong size. From what I understand both hospitals do a great job and you can't go wrong at either place.  The real deciding factor for me would be how I feel not only about my doctor but also their whole practice.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had both boys at Northside. I had a great experience with the first baby. L&D, post partum, everything was great. The second baby was not as great of an experience. The L&D was fabulous but I had one nurse post partum who was useless. She actually ruined my experience bc she was so neglectful. I will say I had #2 on the day when the most babies are born across the US. Oct 5th. It was all over the news and in newspaper. I am sure they were crazy busy but it didn't make my experience very good.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    ditto the others, both hospitals are great, honestly.  I had all three of mine at northside but I've had lots of friends (and visited lots of friends) at piedmont as well.  as for the food, I have no idea I haven't eaten the food at piedmont, but I thought northside was fine.  also, you can order pretty much whatever you want from northside, you don't have to go with just the options they give you for the day.  so for me for some reason I was craving a cheeseburger and mac n cheese and it wasn't an issue.  anyway, seems a lot of people that I've talked to didn't realize that.  but the most important thing is the care for you and the baby and everyone we had all three times were wonderful.
  • Options
    Daisy22Daisy22 member

I delivered both my boys at northside and will deliver ds3 in 4 1/2wks there. I have had a good experience with both and even the times I've had to go extra for PTL. I have no complaints really. They are known for being the baby factory b/c they are huge. The women's center has 5 or 6 floors that are just for L&D, PP etc. Most other hospitals are not that big and in a separate building. With that said, I have several friends that had good experiences at Piedmont too. I went with northside evne through I live 5 minutes from pIedmont b/c I had OBs up at northside already. It was just easier and I didn't want to switch.

For the food, it's not bad at northside and like Heather said you can order what ever you want not just option 1 or 2. We usually just pick up food from somewhere. There are so many restaurants up there that do carry out.

BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Northside was great! It did not feel like a baby factory, and I was really happy with the care that I got there. I can't imagine delivering any where but there. Plus, I have actually been really happy with OBGYN of Atlanta lately too. With the amount of times that I have been to the doctors in the past year, I have really grown to appreciate them even more.

• Options
    I also go to OBGYN of Atlanta and delivered both of mine at Northside.  Dr. Fairbrother delivered my daughter and Dr. Henke delivered my son.  I had a great experience with both babies.  The "baby factory" does have a negative connotation, but Northside delivers more babies than any other hospital in the country.  They know what they are doing!  And I never felt like I was in a factory - I believe my nurses for both deliveries only had me and another mom the whole time. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lily  pie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Another vote for Northside, here!  There is no aspect of Northside that feels like a factory.  I don't know what they sound-proof their walls with, but I literally felt like the only person there.  In fact, it was so quiet, that I cried the first night because I thought my DD was the only baby crying!  :)  The staff was amazing.  I really had a wonderful experience there.   

• Options
    The C-section rate at Northside is abysmal. Just sayin'... that is probably the reason it gets the "factory" label. You'd do much better at North Fulton Medical Center in that regard. But really it's your provider, not the hospital, and what kind of birth experience you want to have, working with your provider to achieve it, that's going to make a difference. Northside, Piedmont... wherever, the standard of care is basically the same.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"