Baby Showers
Options

Invitations and facebook

so this is my first baby and i decided that i wanted to actually mail invites to the shower rather than just make an event on facebook because i feel we have become too dependent on technology, plus i have a lot of family who doesnt even use facebook.

so my mom asked me when i was going to mail them (this is the only thing im doing for the shower btw and thats only because i really wanted to do it) and i told her probably within the next few weeks.  she goes on to say i should still make an event on facebook for HER friends.  what? i told her nicely i dont want an event on facebook because there are some people on my friends list im not inviting since theyre more like "acquaintances" than anything and i dont want to seem gift grabby inviting people i havent talked to in years.  also, some of her friends ive never met, and theyre people she barely knows and i dont really want to have people neither one of us knows at my shower seems kinda odd to me.

what are your thoughts? i think it seems tacky and repetetive sending a real invite AND a facebook invite but im worried shes going to create the event herself and add people to my guest list that i dont want.  plus i already have about 80 invites going out (a very large part of that is family) and i dont want more than that since its already a lot of people (i dont expect all of them to show up but still)

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Invitations and facebook

• Options
    I'd just say "mom - the guest list is very large as it is.  I don't want to take the chance that people who aren't officially invited will somehow see it/ get invited and we'll end up w/ even more.  I want to keep the paper invitations as THE only invitation".
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever make a FB event for a gift-giving occasion.    A casual night out at a bar to celebrate someone's 34th birthday?  Sure.  Not for a baby shower.  Sheesh.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageCranang:
    Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever make a FB event for a gift-giving occasion.    A casual night out at a bar to celebrate someone's 34th birthday?  Sure.  Not for a baby shower.  Sheesh.

my thoughts exactly^^ lol

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    imagecmiller0623:

imageCranang:

my thoughts exactly^^ lol

100% correct!! 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

So who is throwing the shower? If it's your mom, you might be in trouble. It sounds like she knows your feelings about the Facebook thing and is determined to go against your wishes. For sure, I wouldn't be willing to put a Facebook announcement on my own facebook (if I had one :), but if your mom absolutely insists on putting one one her own account, at least she will clearly be the tackmaster here, not you. If you're inviting 80 people already, probably no one will notice another few handfuls of strangers. Not like you're going to have time to socialize with anyone anyways!

• Options
    eav2ceav2c member

LOL. Don't ever send an invite for a shower via FB. Just.Dont.

But, FWIW, you can make events private. So, it's not like "old lost friends" would see it unless your lazy enough to not correctly mess with the settings. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    lol no DF's aunt is throwing the shower not my mom, ive told her i want to keep the guest list as is with no more add-ons so hopefully she doesnt but we'll see!
  • Options

FB is not appropriate for a shower IMO.

If your mother goes against your wishes and creates it, not much you can do. Let her work it out with the host. 

BabyFruit Ticker It's a Girl!
  • Options

If I were you I would stand firm.  I would  say " Mom, I am not comfortable with that at all and am not going to discuss this  anymore." 

Does your aunt know your mom wants to invite all of these people ?  Is that ok with her ?  Your  mom sure has a big set of balls. 

• Options

Eh...I don't mind facebook invites as long as:

-You make them private.

-You send out real invitations too.

-You send out the real invitations a week before creating the facebook event.

-The creator is a host, not the mom-to-be.

Alot of people seem to rely on facebook to keep their schedule somewhat.

I personally don't mind them so much as long as a real invite is first.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"