Parenting after 35
Options

vacation with newborn

Hi there!  I'm visitingfrom the pregnant after 35 board, about to become a FTM.  I'm hoping to take advantage of my maternity leave and take a vacation with LO and DH.  I'll have through November off.  Basically up until LO is 4.5 months old.  Any suggestions on the types of vacations?  We live in Arizona so anything drivable by car.  We could fly too but I'm just thinkinghow much easier it would be to load up the playyard for LO to sleep in and all the other stuff.

What should I consider to plan a successful, infant-friendly vacation? 

Any recs for places in the Southwest that we should definitely consider?  Typically DH like to be fairly active but I know with LO we won't be heading out on any 12 mile treks.

Re: vacation with newborn

• Options

Definitely drive rather than fly.. kiddos that young will sleep for most of it.  We did quite a few roadies in Charles' first year and they were great and pretty easy.  Plus, as you mentioned, you have so much crap to drag along as it is... driving is easier, IMO.

I'll suggest Albuquerque/Santa Fe or Durango CO.   Never been over to Telluride or Ouray, but I've heard it's nice in the summer, too.  Hot springs!

Heck, if you're up for a long day's drive.. come to Colorado Springs!  It's awesome for summer tourism.. Pikes Peak!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Fly rather than drive unless it's a 2 hour or less drive /or/ you're driving at night and your baby sleeps through the night. Why?

Baby feeding. 

Baby changing. 

Baby comforting. 

None of which you can do while you are driving. You have to stop, get the baby out of the car seat, feed, change, comfort, get back on the road, etc. Think of how much time that will add to getting to your destination!

Take a plane. Take a train. But you couldn't pay me enough to drive further than about 100 miles with a baby.

We took a cruise with our LO at 3 months. We'd been planning the cruise for two years, and the baby was a late addition! It was a Disney cruise, so they had a PNP in the room as well as a diaper genie, plus free bottle warmer and stroller to use. We didn't have to pack any of those things, plus no car seat (we rented a car to get to port and it came with a car seat, and the car service that took us from port to airport also had a car seat available.) They had a service that delivered all the diapers and formula and supplies we needed straight to our cabin (the service is Babies Travel Lite, and they will also deliver to lots of hotels!) They also had a nursery that would watch her for us so that we could do things together. While they might not be as exciting or adventurous, going on your first trip to somewhere that is used to handling families is probably a good first step. It was in our case!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We went to Hawaii when DD was 3 months old.  Obviously we flew but I agree with PP that it was superbeasybas you don't have to stop to change, feed, and soothe. New checked our stroller and coarsest and put DD in the baby Bjorne for the airport.  The hotel had a pack and play. It was a fabulous vacation!
  • Options

Honestly, I'd do anything you would have done before having a baby. Just remember that you may not fit in as much as you usually would during the day. Same for driving or flying, doesn't matter, you'd adapt. Take advantage of the fact that the trip doesn't necessarily have to be geared towards lo (ie. kid related excursions like Disney), just accomodating to infants. I've flown, driven, camped, hiked with my kids, all prior to them being 6 months.

Other than that, I've gotten pretty good at packing, our play pen is a Phil and Ted's Traveller, about 5lbs and very compact (fits in my suitcase) and best purchase ever. It's travelled quite a bit and been a lifesaver. Also, since we're out and about so much the kids have learned to sleep just about anywhere. And they've all spent their fair share in various kinds of baby wearing devices.

OP, I would so be up for a day hike in Sedona, I miss that place. Or Grand Canyon. LO would be able to ride in an Ergo or Beco or something similar by then.

ETA: Fly to my neck of the woods in the fall, drive to Banff. You would not regret it!!

• Options
    imagefootnotegirl:

Fly rather than drive unless it's a 2 hour or less drive /or/ you're driving at night and your baby sleeps through the night. Why?

Baby feeding. 

Baby changing. 

Baby comforting. 

None of which you can do while you are driving. You have to stop, get the baby out of the car seat, feed, change, comfort, get back on the road, etc. Think of how much time that will add to getting to your destination!

Take a plane. Take a train. But you couldn't pay me enough to drive further than about 100 miles with a baby.

I agree with this.  My newborns HATED the car, so flying was much easier if we were going more than a couple of hours away.

• Options
    steverstever member
    I like the idea of Santa Fe or Albuqurque. Or you could head out to CA and the beach?
  • Options
    My pedi told me to not fly with the baby until after their shots at 2 months.  I traveled with both of my kids when they were around 2 1/2 - 3 months old and it was totally easy.  I didn't bring a bunch of extra stuff - 2 bottles, the hotel we stayed at had pack n plays, a wore them as much as I could so we avoided using a stroller.  I would just try and wait to see how you feel and how the baby reacts to things.  Or at least plan anything towards the end of your leave to give yourself time to adjust and heal.  Please by 3 months, the baby will be sleeping more at night and hopefully be more on a daytime schedule which makes it so much easier.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Options
    cpmichcpmich member

Wait until your lo is at least 3 months in order to give his or her immune system time to develop.  by then you should also have a better handle on sleep routines.  whatever you do please avoid vacationing during a growth spurt... you wont get to see anything and will spend the whole time feeding your kiddo.

i second others comments that flying is much more convenient.  definitely encourage babywearing while travelling or just out and about.

also... some kids travel well and some dont.  some are happy in a car and others arent.  no way to know in advance how your little one will be.

good luck and congratulations. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"