Birth Stories
Options

Sonogram said one gender but had the other??

Has anyone on here in recent years had the sonogram be wrong and been surprised by the gender you gave birth to? Wondering how often that happens anymore.

Re: Sonogram said one gender but had the other??

• Options

This happened to me with my first DD, but to be fair she was very difficult! We had 2 level-2 U/S and for both she kept her legs tightly closed with her ankles crossed, and knees drawn up to her chest.  Finally at 32-weeks my OB took pity on me and wheeled the little U/S machine from their office into the examining room.  When he first placed the wand on my stomach she tried to move away from it (before curling into her typical "hiding" position) and he said he THINKS it's a boy, but don't paint the room blue.  He probably saw the umbilical cord or something.. I was never convinced, and not shocked when I gave birth to a little girl!

This time around, I've had the gender TRIPLE-checked, and it still looks like we've got another girl on the way! :)  I honestly don't think they're wrong very often - and many of the stories you hear about likely have extenuating circumstances! 

• Options
    Recently had this happen to a friend. She was told at several sonograms that it was indeed a girl! Of course she bought all girl things and out popped a little boy! Julian had to go home in a pink carseat, but I dont think he minded!lol
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageMrsTownsend8136:
    Recently had this happen to a friend. She was told at several sonograms that it was indeed a girl! Of course she bought all girl things and out popped a little boy! Julian had to go home in a pink carseat, but I dont think he minded!lol

Forgot to add that this happened to my mother when she was pregnant with me! She said they never really got a good look at my "parts" and went by my heart beat. The doc said typically girls have fast heart beats and boys have slow, strong ones. (mine was slow and strong) My mom said she wanted a girl and had a feeling I was a girl. So while my grandmother bought all boy things, my mother bought all girl things and I was indeed a GIRL! Mothers intuition I suppose!:)

• Options
    Hmmm.  I haven't heard of this happening to anyone I know.  Of course, I have heard of it happening so I painted LO's room a gender neutral color and got gender neutral big ticket items just in case.  
  • Options

It happened to my mom's co-worker.  Her little girl turned out to be a boy at birth. 

When I was pregnant and we found it was a boy, my OB said, "well I've only delivered two girls that looked like boys in ultrasounds."  I thought that was a lot considered she'd only been in practice for a few years.  She said the other way around is even more common. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I know someone who had the wrong gender during ultrasound.  I have also heard of other stories of it happening to other people. 

• Options
    Back when I was an L&D nurse, the stats were 30% of the time when they said it was a girl it was really a boy.  Only like 1% of the time was it a girl when they thought it was a boy. A lot depends on how many u/s you have.
    Baby boy H is here! Born 2/1/2014 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mysterious_wife: "And for the love of all things that sparkle, remove your last name" on BOTB.
  • Options

At my 17 week appointment I asked if the MW was able to tell if we were having a boy or girl. She said her best guess would be a boy. Then at my 20 week A/S they said girl. I went and had a 4D US and sure enough there was no question it was a girl. Now looking at that US from the 17 week appointment it looks like the umbilical cord was where her lady bits were. Bailey Rae is definitley all girl!

A girl I work with was told it was a girl her whole pregnancy until week 41 when they did a US to determine baby's size and what delivery options she would have, that is when she was told it was a boy. Sure enough it was a boy.

After all the research I did on it generally it is easy to see the difference on the US's. But a lot of the times the baby is not cooperating. I would assume this is whent he wrong gender is determined.

Our World!!

Blaine Emerson                  Bailey Rae

3-31-14                               6-10-11

image image
  • Options
    sjpsjp member

I only know one person where they were told girl and ended up with a boy--and that was 10 years ago!

BFP#1 twins--m/c Baby B-- DC#1 DS 03/22/05 BFP#2 m/c 2006 BFP#3/DC#2 DD 10/22/09 BFP #4! EDD 9/15/12 at 9 dpo BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I think it's pretty rare. I've never know anyone who had that happen. 
  • Options
    an internet friend of mine had it happen a yr ago. Said girl and she had a boy. Im so worried about it happening to me. lol 
  • Options

My OB's u/s tech will actually *not* confirm.  She'll only say "I think it's X". 

Both OBs have been funny about gender though (the one who delivered my first, some of their techs refused to find out gender so you had to request in advance.)

I really wonder the backstory on both cases.

• Options

imagemckinneymom924:
    an internet friend of mine had it happen a yr ago. Said girl and she had a boy. Im so worried about it happening to me. lol 

I worry about this as well. We have had 2 ultrasounds, only one of which we could tell what she was. But I keep having this feeling it may be a boy. It sure doesn't help that I keep dreaming it is!! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    This is exactly why we decided not to find out!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    no i've never had this happen.. i have four boys and everytime i was told boy i had a boy. i'm currently 21 weeks pregnants and was told that i'm having a girl. i was so excited.. then this girl crush my joy by telling me she was told four times it was a girl and she had a boy... i'm not to worried because i've never had an u/s be wrong out of the four boys. so don't worry about it..
  • Options
    LOL it wasn't recent, it was 13 years ago but we were told our baby was a girl and low n behold came out a boy lol BIGGEST shock of our lives. i knew my daughter was a girl because my u's at 31 weeks and her lil bum area was a clear shot and then we didn't find out with my last son...i'm 25wks right now with my 4th and I've been told girl but I'm still skeptical. i have another u/s at 32 wks and 37 wks so ya best believe i'm gonna make sure she is a she!!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"