Military Families
Options

Elective Induction

Does anyone know if Tricare Reserve Select covers elective induction? I don't see anything on their website about it.
IAmPregnant Ticker

Re: Elective Induction

• Options
    I don't know about Tricare but have you checked with the hospital your wanting to deliver at? I know the hospital I used to work for won't do elective inductions at all. There has to be a medical reason. And the hospital I work for now has the same rule.
    BFP #1 03/2010 EDD 11/18/2010 DD born 11/03/2010 BFP #2 12/02/2011 CP on 12/05/2011 BFP #3 12/28/2011 EDD 09/10/2012 Missed mc @ 9w3d on 02/09/2012 D&C 03/06/2012 BFP #4 04/24/2012 EDD 01/02/2013 CP on 04/29/2012
  • Options
    I agree with PP.  Check with your hospital.  Neither of the hospitals here will do elective inductions.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

First, TRICARE does not cover anything that is not medically necessary. 

I am not going to get into a back-in-forth with you about elective inductions other than to post a few links.  Personally, since there is twice the risk for infant mortality for babies born at 37 and 38 weeks vs going to 40, I would not risk it.

https://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2101344_2101158_2101148,00.html

https://www.npr.org/2011/07/18/138473097/doctors-to-pregnant-women-wait-at-least-39-weeks

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/thinking-about-kids/201107/it-takes-40-weeks-build-baby-wait

Second, because of the new statistics most hospitals will not perform eletive inductions anymore.  You may not find one who will do it for you.

Third, TRICARE coverage is the same for all of its "programs".  So if it is covered or not covered under PRIME, it is covered under Standard, Prime Remote and Reserve Select...the cost shares are just different.

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Options
    imageIlumine:

First, TRICARE does not cover anything that is not medically necessary. 

I am not going to get into a back-in-forth with you about elective inductions other than to post a few links.  Personally, since there is twice the risk for infant mortality for babies born at 37 and 38 weeks vs going to 40, I would not risk it.

https://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2101344_2101158_2101148,00.html

https://www.npr.org/2011/07/18/138473097/doctors-to-pregnant-women-wait-at-least-39-weeks

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/thinking-about-kids/201107/it-takes-40-weeks-build-baby-wait

Second, because of the new statistics most hospitals will not perform eletive inductions anymore.  You may not find one who will do it for you.

Third, TRICARE coverage is the same for all of its "programs".  So if it is covered or not covered under PRIME, it is covered under Standard, Prime Remote and Reserve Select...the cost shares are just different.

All of this. Elective induction is not considered a medical need there for not covered....as PP's have said most hospitals don't do them anyway. I would sideeye any doctor who would do one for non medical reasons too. Having said that I was induced but I was also a week overdue and it was considered a medical need at that point. Don't be so impatient and let your baby come when he/she is ready!
  • Options

I don't know any details about how this person got it covered but someone on my H's boat was just induced so they could make sure it happened before her husband was deployed. It was covered. 

Like I said, I don't know details or how they went about it or if that is right or wrong, I just know she got induced so her husband would be home. 

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageLetsHikeToday:

I don't know any details about how this person got it covered but someone on my H's boat was just induced so they could make sure it happened before her husband was deployed. It was covered. 

Like I said, I don't know details or how they went about it or if that is right or wrong, I just know she got induced so her husband would be home. 

I did a little more research (pre coffee research should be avoided). Basically TRICARE will sort of cover elective c-sections. Basically it will only cover the cost of a general vaginal birth and the beneficiary has to pay for everything else. 

https://www.tricare.mil/mybenefit/jsp/Medical/IsItCovered.do?kw=Cesarean+Section

Basically it will cost you at least $6,000 out of pocket JUST FOR the procedure. Most hospitals keep vaginal births for 24-48 hours, but it's 96 hours for a c-section. I would suspect that THOSE costs will be charged to the patient too. 

And again, that is if you can FIND a civilian OB willing to provide one.  Becuase with the new studies out, that opens them to lawsuits... 

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Options
    jb2rnjb2rn member
    imageLetsHikeToday:

that is awful Sad

b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• Options
    imageIlumine:
    imageLetsHikeToday:

I did a little more research (pre coffee research should be avoided). Basically TRICARE will sort of cover elective c-sections. Basically it will only cover the cost of a general vaginal birth and the beneficiary has to pay for everything else. 

https://www.tricare.mil/mybenefit/jsp/Medical/IsItCovered.do?kw=Cesarean+Section

Basically it will cost you at least $6,000 out of pocket JUST FOR the procedure. Most hospitals keep vaginal births for 24-48 hours, but it's 96 hours for a c-section. I would suspect that THOSE costs will be charged to the patient too. 

And again, that is if you can FIND a civilian OB willing to provide one.  Becuase with the new studies out, that opens them to lawsuits... 

That surprises me. Like I said, I really don't know much about the situation only that they were able to be induced so that he could be home for the birth. Somehow it got covered though because they are definitely not paying $6000.

Edit: I do not know if she had a C/S or a vaginal birth 

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageLetsHikeToday:

It is all in the coding. If the doctor was the type to do a convenience induction, they probably aren't above coding it to reflect a medical need. Even "big baby" is enough to get coverage.  

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"