Preemies

My family calls DD...

..."bubble baby". This annoys me to no end. My cousin made it up. He says I keep DD "in a bubble" because I try to shield her from germs by putting a mat that sticks to the table when we are out to eat so she can eat of it (these: https://www.target.com/p/neat-solutions-18ct-table-topper-hello-kitty/-/A-13968721  ) and we use our own high chair that connects to the table (this: https://www.amazon.com/Chicco-Caddy-Hook-Chair-Red/dp/B000A7V1EM  ).

Do any of you get crazy responses from your family? Even after 13 months they STILL don't get it. They say "babies need germs". Well, that may be true for full term babies but not MINE! ugh! Not to mention, I don't shield her from everything. If I did, we would NEVER leave the house. GRR

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: My family calls DD...

• They're morons, to be exact. :)

That's exactly what I tried to tell them. I think he (my cousin) likes to get a rise out of me more than anything else. What do they expect me to do? Let her eat off of the table straight? Besides the germs, who knows what chemicals they use to clean it.

That was just an example situation. I've dealt with a lot of "she needs the germs" over the past year. It just gets really old.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • WTH?  They are annoying.

We take our own highchair.  Not because of germs, but because it is easier and better.  It sounds like a lot of the stuff you do is just normal.  Lots of FT moms do it.  

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Also, I am sure waiters/waitresses appreciate you.  Gabe makes so much less of a mess in his highchair booster w/ tray than he does in a restaurant high chair. 
    Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• I would be so angry with them I'd tell them to stop. I hate those comments and am ready to knock the next person out who makes a comment about how it's 'good' that DS is sick so much because he needs the exposure to germs. He's had FIVE viruses since New Year's. One was noro and lasted a week - the other four have been bronchial and take 3 weeks to get over. He's sick more than he isn't - and we're SAH!
  • ashk7ashk7 member

I am a little late on reading this! What I would like to do if I were you would be politely take her plate of food and dump it on the bare table, then ask of she would like to eat it?  Once again LIKE being the key word, I would never ever do that for real! But IMO its not so much a germ/ preemiee thing here but a common sense issue!!!!! DD is nowhere near needing those items you mentioned but I actually have both exact products that I registered for before she came early!!! My mil rolls her eyes everytime I ask people to wasn their hands snd or use Purell before touching dd, your right some people just don't get it and it's even more frustrating when it's family who have seen how fragile LO was at birth! Whenever she makes a smart comment about decisions DH and I make for DD I have very nicely started to say, "that's the beautiful thing about being a parent, you get to choose how to raise your baby, right or wrong decisions, but thank you for your advice!"

Code snippet: HTML, Used for some forums. Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • IL's can be SO annoying!
  • imageBostonKisses2:

imagekatie4253:
    Also, I am sure waiters/waitresses appreciate you.  Gabe makes so much less of a mess in his highchair booster w/ tray than he does in a restaurant high chair. 

Yes

We take our own HC booster w/tray as well, especially in the winter time to help minimize germ exposure, but she makes way less of a mess with it than she does in the restaurant chairs.  Heck, I even go as far as to clean up as much as I can off the floor and whatnot, but that's another story for another day. 

I was a server up until I gave birth (literally) and I'll tell you this: YES! those things are deeply appreciated and it helps servers like waiting on families. Often they think they're 'out' and you're getting 'paid' to clean up after them - and they'll frequently leave a really low tip thinking their cute kid/s made up for it. NO! Most servers make less than $3/hr so that makes everything less amusing. Also, the towels used to wipe tables have been used over and over and are completely grotesque - you're better off wiping a table with your own spit and sleeve. The restaurants don't have enough towels so the same one gets used allllll day. EW. 

• I use to do all those things when going out to dinner. We still use a mat at home to keep DD's food confined, but most of the time it ends up on the floor.

• imagelwmooney87:

..."bubble baby". This annoys me to no end. My cousin made it up. He says I keep DD "in a bubble" because I try to shield her from germs by putting a mat that sticks to the table when we are out to eat so she can eat of it (these: https://www.target.com/p/neat-solutions-18ct-table-topper-hello-kitty/-/A-13968721  ) and we use our own high chair that connects to the table (this: https://www.amazon.com/Chicco-Caddy-Hook-Chair-Red/dp/B000A7V1EM  ).

Do any of you get crazy responses from your family? Even after 13 months they STILL don't get it. They say "babies need germs". Well, that may be true for full term babies but not MINE! ugh! Not to mention, I don't shield her from everything. If I did, we would NEVER leave the house. GRR

Maybe they aren't ready for the privilege of her company, if they continue to act in such way.... Just a thought....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"